rear shocks 2004 jeep grand cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > rear shocks 2004 jeep grand cherokee

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-28-2012, 02:52 PM   #1
ecwv1
2004 WJ 

rear shocks 2004 jeep grand cherokee

Hi all,

I replaced my rear shocks 04 grand laredo. Seems to have helped with the ride but now there is a clunking noise when hitting a bump or speed bump. all other driving seems to be fine. Made sure bolts are tight, not sure where to go next.

ecwv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2012, 03:22 PM   #2
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I would check to make sure the sway bar end links are tight but I'm willing to bet the sleeves in the new shocks are a little bigger than the bolt, causing them to clunk...

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2012, 06:02 PM   #3
chrism1367
2003 WJ 

I just did the same thing, replaced rear shocks, and what do ya know i have the exact same problem. It has to be something just barely not fitting right.
chrism1367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2012, 06:42 PM   #4
ecwv1
2004 WJ 

thanks for the response. checked swaybar and its tight.
I noticed that the bolt slid in pretty easy so that may be an idea.
I didnt think it make that much of a differene. So now the stupid is can i buy a spacer or a bolt with a larger diameter shaft but same threads? or is there another fix?
Unread 03-29-2012, 03:58 AM   #5
vwbuge
2002 WJ 

The upper rear shock mount sleeves are too short. It is best to take stock ones out of old shocks and reuse. If you still have them, that is the best option. You can go the inexpensive route and place large washers on either side of the sleeves and reinsert the bolt and tighten.
245/70-17
vwbuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2012, 08:40 AM   #6
FrankU
2004 WJ 

Has anyone tried this product ? With results ?

http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/cart/in...roducts_id=153
Unread 03-29-2012, 09:17 AM   #7
Redrum_1
2000 WJ 

Pull out one of the bolts and look at it closely. You will find there is a step like a shoulder on it. Take it to the hardware store and get grade 8 metric bolts the same size and put those in. It should fix the problem. I went through the whole thing too replacing everything and not helping the problem till I looked at the shock mounting bolts.
I attached a pic of the bolt, Its not real clear but you can see where its worn, or made that way. I'm not sure which is the case.
Good Luck!!
shock-bolt1.jpg  
2013 Dodge Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab. 5.7L Hemi 6 speed automatic 3:55 gears LSD with 20 inch rubber
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.0L
2003 Nissan 350Z Enthusiast Model 6 speed manual
2002 Audi A6 Avant Quattro 3.0L Auto
Redrum_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2012, 10:40 AM   #8
rockyrivermark
2002 WJ 

my 2002 GC was doing the same thing. I put new shocks all around. you have to crank them down in the back bigtime. Use and implact and it will squeeze the steel bracket tight to the shock.
I was a bit concerned about breaking the bolt but it drew it in nicely and tight to the shock.
no more clunks.
rockyrivermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2012, 11:21 AM   #9
ecwv1
2004 WJ 

thanks for all the posts. i have my brackets pretty tight so im thinking its the up and down on the bolt and not side to side. I will get different bolts in a couple of days and let you know what i find.
Unread 03-29-2012, 11:31 AM   #10
chrism1367
2003 WJ 

Cool post back when youre done i think i will be doing the exact same thing. Just need to find out how to get to the store with the bolt, since the jeep is my only ride lol
chrism1367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2012, 12:21 PM   #11
DustinWJ
1999 WJ 

just leave one of the shocks out along with that one bolt it will be fine tell you get back
DustinWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2012, 03:08 PM   #12
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

If this doesn't solve the issue, I think the upper A-arm is in question, ...right gents?

I ask because after replacing shocks, I still kave some clunks over big bumps and big road imperfections.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2012, 01:18 PM   #13
ecwv1
2004 WJ 

Thanks for all the feedback. I checked my bolts and they seemed ok. Got my 18v impact out and was able to tighten them down enough with it to correct this issue. thanks again for all the help.
Unread 08-23-2012, 01:23 PM   #14
SilverOne23
2004 WJ 

I've got a 2004 laredo and got the same clunking after replacing the factory shocks with MonroeSensa-Trac Light Truck Shock Absorber from Advance Auto. bought them online and used a $50 promo code I found online. Picked them up at the store an hour later-great deal 4 shocks for $135 and these are a step up from OEM I believe.....
Anyway, after reading here about clunks, and not being able to find washers that fit in my junk box, I just tightened the top bolt down really hard-really hard-It's a huge bolt and I don't think it will snap very easily. Took it around the block and the clunking is gone.
By the way it took me 1 1/2 hours to replace all four and didn't have to even use a jack-these shocks came with a plactic band around the upper and lower keeping them at the exact length for the back. the front I had to cut the band and muscle the shock smaller into place-not that big of a deal for an old man of 52.

Good luck everyone.
SilverOne23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 11:09 PM   #15
namtrah

2004 WJ 

Wj Not so lucky

After searhing the forum...finding out about the clunk, bought new bolts for rear uppers and guess what? The stout bolt on top snapped on the way out! Yea! So tonight we spent hours trying to remove it, and no such luck. Now I have the threaded internal bushing with remaining metal from drilled out bolt. I have no access from other side. So not I drilled holes above the unibody rail and took a peek. The threaded bushing appears to be the entire width of the rail. I'm guessing it is either welded or pressed into position. I may be opening up the hole bigger in cargo area gain access and figure out how to use a bolt, washer, nut combo. This will make it a ***** for shock replacement in future, but cannot find another solution.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.