Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Rear shock thump AFTER replacement.

497 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  oomanoptt 
#1 ·
So I've slowly been replacing the suspension parts on the rear end of my 01 Laredo.

I got to the shocks the other day and replaced them with Monroe shocks. (https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=5609505&cc=1381441&jsn=388)

The whole Rig rides a hell of a lot smoother and was well worth the parts change, however I now have a thumping noise that seems to be coming from the rear passenger shock area. It's whenever I drive over road imperfections such as bumps and potholes. The driver side rear does not make the noise. That being said all of the bolts are nice and snug, but when I went to see if the shock in question had any movement while tugging and pushing on it, it did slightly move making a clicking sound. It is completely solid when tugging side to side but when pushing on it back and fourth towards the vehicle and away from the vehicle, there is movement. The Driver side rear does not have this movement. I'm guessing that my noise has something to do with that slight play but I am unsure as to how to fix it. Should I just try to tighten the lower bolt some more? Has anyone else ran into this issue?

Any feedback is appreciated, thank you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.