Ok, on my Jeep, there is a plug that threads through the floor in the trunk that has the trailer wiring harness.
If your rubber plug is still intact, and the wires are in the center, then it obviously didn't rub (I'm sure you can imagine what it would look like if the wires rubbed against metal for 5k miles or so).
Next, check the actual trailer light socket (lift the little latch) and look inside. Is it dirty? Packed full of mud? I know that after every off-roading excursion I have to take off the plug (unbolt the four bolts) and physically clean out both sides of it, since I unplug the pigtail before going out.
Do that and report back, your problems should be solved.
In the meantime I will continue with the head scratching.
My Jeep is a chick magnet with reverse polarity.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2000 WJ, 4.5l, AX15, 242 D60/14b, 5.5" lift front, 7.5" rear. Ford Expedition rear coils, Ram 350 shocks, JKS, IRO Long Arms, cool Badlands flag thingy.
1987 XJ - Gone but not forgotten