JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/)
-   -   "Rear Lower Track Bar"- Mechanic?! (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/rear-lower-track-bar-mechanic-1526866/)

Genericusername 05-22-2013 01:18 PM

EDIT : Title should read Track Arm not bar.
Hey guys, took my 02 WJ into the mechanic because my front end went wobbly after going over a railroad crossing. I stopped the vehicle and started driving and noticed no problem but only when going over a railroad. The mechanic said I need new upper CA bushing and a new rear lower track arm. He said that's what the dealers call it. I called a dealer and the parts guy said they don't know hat that is. So I have never heard of that have you guys? Does he mean lower CA and not realize it?

adavis39 05-22-2013 01:19 PM

ZJ's use a rear trac bar. the WJ does not. He sounds confused

ratmonkey 05-23-2013 12:10 PM

Track arm, trailing arm, control arm, all the same things.

Genericusername 05-23-2013 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ratmonkey (Post 15471207)
Track arm, trailing arm, control arm, all the same things.

Hey thanks, he used those terms interchangeably when he left me a voicemail and when I spoke with him on the phone. I didn't know it by any other name then control arm. So the part in question is part 13 on this diagram. Which is what he was talking about. http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-su...ion-fixed2.jpg
So now my question is they are charging $358 to replace it. $120 for the bushing and center arm bushing. Is this something I can do with a buddy with tools borrowed from Advanced Auto over a weekend or would it be worth it to just have them do it given the work involved? Thanks guys as always.

ratmonkey 05-23-2013 05:03 PM

ah, that's the upper a arm. it's not too hard to do in your driveway. i'd just buy the whole assembly instead of trying to do bushings and the ball joint though.

doityourselfMM 05-23-2013 05:29 PM

AMEN to that. The time and 'grief' saved is worth the money! I've done three, and I'd rather be drinking beers...

:cheers2:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ratmonkey (Post 15472577)
i'd just buy the whole assembly instead of trying to do bushings and the ball joint though.

Genericusername 05-23-2013 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ratmonkey
ah, that's the upper a arm. it's not too hard to do in your driveway. i'd just buy the whole assembly instead of trying to do bushings and the ball joint though.

Not to sound ignorant but what do you mean but whole assembly?

85IrocZ-28 05-23-2013 11:48 PM

An entire new metal A-arm, you can get it with new body side bushings and a new ball joint for the rear axle mount.

bugaboots 05-24-2013 07:23 AM

If your interisted i have a spare a-arm laying around i could throw some new parts into this weekend and ship out to you monday. Be cheeper than new and almost as good.

Genericusername 05-24-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 85IrocZ-28
An entire new metal A-arm, you can get it with new body side bushings and a new ball joint for the rear axle mount.

Any good sites for the assembly that you would recommend?

Genericusername 06-20-2013 04:09 PM

Hey I figured no point in starting a new thread if I can get some replies this way. I have the new ball joint and A arm up in the jeep. However the drivers side bushing won't line up with the hole to put the bolt through. I have the frame jacked up so the rear end hangs. I also lowered it to the ground and still can't get the holes to line up. Any thoughts? It's a crown replacement arm part # 52088422AB.

tim0 06-20-2013 06:35 PM

Big pry bar or pipe and push or pull the rear end around to line it up as needed.

85IrocZ-28 06-21-2013 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genericusername (Post 15587007)
Hey I figured no point in starting a new thread if I can get some replies this way. I have the new ball joint and A arm up in the jeep. However the drivers side bushing won't line up with the hole to put the bolt through. I have the frame jacked up so the rear end hangs. I also lowered it to the ground and still can't get the holes to line up. Any thoughts? It's a crown replacement arm part # 52088422AB.

Please clarify...you can get the drivers side bushing in, but the spacing isn't correct and the passenger side doesn't line up? If so, your vehicle may have been in a serious enough accident that the unibody is bend. Either that, or the crown replacement isn't built correctly.

Genericusername 06-23-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 85IrocZ-28 (Post 15589828)
Please clarify...you can get the drivers side bushing in, but the spacing isn't correct and the passenger side doesn't line up? If so, your vehicle may have been in a serious enough accident that the unibody is bend. Either that, or the crown replacement isn't built correctly.

This is what concerned me.
However,

Quote:

Originally Posted by tim0 (Post 15587458)
Big pry bar or pipe and push or pull the rear end around to line it up as needed.

I rocked the rear end slightly while a buddy was underneath finessing that bolt in. It's in and with a slightly noticeable less swaying rear.

The time now is 09:05 PM.