Rear knocking noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rear knocking noise

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 01-10-2012, 07:47 AM   #1
tommyqit
2001 WJ 

Wj Rear knocking noise

When I go over a pothole or similar I get a knocking noise at the rear ,The garage (not jeep) tells me the shocks are OK and can't seem to see any problem
When you push the body up and down its OK , its only when the wheel is pushed up it makes the noise which is hard to replicate in a garage , Any ideas what it could be !!!

tommyqit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2012, 08:46 AM   #2
wjjeeplkstevens
2001 WJ 

Rear ball joint on the upper control arm (A arm). 9 times out of ten knocking in the rear over bumps its this ball joint failing.... Kind of a PITA to replace yourself but with some patience, a 21 mm open end and some leverage it can be done.... And a puller to get it off the a arm. Alot of guys will take the A-arm assembly out (2 more bolts, plus a few small brake/e-brake line retainers) and replace the ball joint on the bench and put it back in...
wjjeeplkstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2012, 08:50 AM   #3
dave01

I agree with the above...
dave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2012, 09:40 AM   #4
tommyqit
2001 WJ 

Wj rear knocking noise

That's good news , I'll probably change out the two bushings as well on the upper suspension arm which I thought might have been the problem . Thanks again lads
tommyqit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2012, 09:46 AM   #5
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Can I get a pic of this part (as installed) on the WJ?

I want to see exactly what I need to be looking for....
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2012, 08:10 PM   #6
wjjeeplkstevens
2001 WJ 

You need this.... Oreilly Auto parts sold me a 'rear ball joint' and it was just the ball joint, no mounting plate. You may be able to press it in and out but not worth the time.. I went to car-quest and got one and it came as an 'assembly', same price. Or there is a alot of options online.... Also to replace the other two bushings on the a-arm, those have to be pressed out and new ones pressed in. Kind of a bear to do as they are normally pretty rusted in there... may want to look at ebay for a whole new a-arm with new bushings already in it-generally pretty cost and time effective unless you have a press with the correct dies to do it yourself.....
18037.04.jpg  
wjjeeplkstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2012, 10:17 PM   #7
Voltage258
2003 WJ 

It could also be your shock mounts if you have upgraded shocks and not the OEM ones. Mine clunks to but it only clunks on the right side so im assuming its the shock mounts. If i pull up on the right side wheel well and rock the car up and down i can hear a very quite pop noise but if i do it on the left side i cannot here anything. So seeing as they are only $20 im going to try those first. Here is the link if you wana get new ones and try those out.

http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/cart/in...roducts_id=153

82 Grand Wagoneer Limited. Amc 360, Bridgstone MT's
Voltage258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2012, 03:09 PM   #8
GoreD
2002 WJ 

top 3 would be sway bar links, shock or shock mount, and upper arm ball joint. Get under there with a pry-bar and see if any of these have any play in them. I just had to fix up the sway bar links on mine as the lower part of the link was rattling over bumps.
GoreD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2012, 04:05 PM   #9
danasince1979
2004 WJ 

definitely check out that upper rear control arm ball joint. mine jeep was making a pretty solid clunking noise in the rear that for some reason seemed to be worse when i took my foot off the accelerator and let it coast over bumps. this was driving me nuts for the last 6 months. i had all new shocks, springs, isolators when lifted. replaced the upper control arm bushings and rear lower control arms (was easier to replace the whole arms than deal with swapping out the bushings and not that much more really). the sway bar and end link bushings were all fine but i was still getting the clunk. got under it and had a couple people jump on the bumper and could see the ball joint separating. replaced it with one of these and now everything is all good.
danasince1979 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.