rear glass defrost strip connector desolder - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > rear glass defrost strip connector desolder

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 02-06-2014, 03:18 PM   #1
Jigsaw404
2002 WJ 

rear glass defrost strip connector desolder

so my connector that connectors to the rear glass defrost strip desoldered. I tried to solder it to the strip built into the glass but no go, I dont have enough hold. Without replacing the glass, is there a trick to get the connector to stick to the strip built into the glass. I would like to have the rear defrost to work.

Jigsaw404 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2014, 03:35 PM   #2
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

JB weld is made of metal, right? I would get some and see if it will OHM to 0 and use it if it conducts.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2014, 04:46 PM   #3
ThaBeefs
2003 WJ 

i work at a dealership and we can get copper based ink pen that can fill gaps when the grid gets a cut or scratch ..... not for when the connector brakes from the grid itself we have to replace the glass.
ThaBeefs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2014, 04:57 PM   #4
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaBeefs View Post
i work at a dealership and we can get copper based ink pen that can fill gaps when the grid gets a cut or scratch ..... not for when the connector brakes from the grid itself we have to replace the glass.
You can buy those at Radio Shack. It's just conductive ink.

Sent from my iPad using my fingers
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2014, 07:16 PM   #5
js12278
1999 WJ 

You might need a third hand to help out holding it on the connection. Soldering it is going to be the best repair could do.
js12278 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2014, 11:24 PM   #6
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by js12278 View Post
You might need a third hand to help out holding it on the connection. Soldering it is going to be the best repair could do.
How do you not crack the window with the heat expansion and contraction?
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2014, 01:54 AM   #7
2000_limited
2000 WJ 

Try the aluminium duct tape from a hardware store. it's strong, super stucky, and metal.

2000_limited is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2014, 02:56 AM   #8
losttech

2000 WJ 

Get a strong magnet stick it on the other side of the window and get some wire thats magnetic or a peice of metal and try to solder it then with the magnet holding the metal agaisnt the window.
A rare earth magnet is really stong and should work.
losttech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2014, 06:08 AM   #9
MadderThanMax

Wj

Yer, I'm in the same boat after repairing the rear door latch and window wiper, I accidentally hit the connector and *Ping* off it came :
MadderThanMax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2014, 06:31 AM   #10
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

I like that aluminum duct tape solution too. I got some recently and that stuff is tough... 3M makes what I got (Lowe's).
It would take a little cutting with small scissors and maybe more then one attempt but I think that's the path I would take first.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2014, 07:58 AM   #11
Jigsaw404
2002 WJ 

Ill try using aluminum duct tape on sunday, let you know. As per the windows cracking, it doesnt. I used a blow torch to get a little bit more heat out of it and without holding it there forever, 1-2 seconds at a time, the windows didnt crack. Anyways, it obvously didnt work with a solder gun,heat gun and blowtorch, so ill just tape it and see.
Jigsaw404 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2014, 09:15 AM   #12
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

I've done hundreds of these repairs. Mostly to Ford's, but other brands do it occasionally too. They sell tab repair kits at the parts store, but they are junk. Parts stores don't realize that the kits have a shelf life, so they never switch them out. The repair will last a day or two then fail again. If it does manage to hold, it won't conduct electrical current, and in that case you might as well have used super glue.

This is what you want. http://www.frostfighter.com/index.htm these are by far the strongest, most conductive kit I've ever used.
Unread 02-07-2014, 09:36 AM   #13
MWF
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJSWJ View Post
This is what you want. http://www.frostfighter.com/index.htm these are by far the strongest, most conductive kit I've ever used.
Website is down for me at the moment but I hope you can get this stuff in the UK, been looking for something for ages.
Unread 02-07-2014, 09:46 AM   #14
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Hmm website works for me. Here is a link straight to the tab repair kit http://www.frostfighter.com/defroste...g-kit-2000.htm

Edit: website shows they do offer international shipping.
Unread 02-07-2014, 09:49 AM   #15
MWF
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJSWJ View Post
Hmm website works for me. Here is a link straight to the tab repair kit http://www.frostfighter.com/defroste...g-kit-2000.htm

Edit: website shows they do offer international shipping.
Thanks for this dude!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.