rear-end sagging with load - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > rear-end sagging with load

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 09-23-2013, 05:18 PM   #1
docster
2002 WJ 

rear-end sagging with load

The rear end of my WJ sags really bad when towing my boat (tongue weight is only 350lbs). I know I need new shocks. Now will just shocks prevent sagging or do i need new springs? I really dont want to lift it with HD springs if I can avoid it since I have a set of 20inch SRT reps waiting for tires (I know, I know, its a Jeep I should lift it, but that is what the SVT is for). Anythoughts on how to prevent this. Its weird. Same boat on my moms WJ and its perfectly level, and I have seen many WJs towing much heavier loads with more tongue weight and no weight distributing hitch. Whats failed on mine?

Unread 09-23-2013, 05:28 PM   #2
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

Its a spring issue, not shock.

'02 WJ: 4.7L, 5", HP44/9", 231HD, tall & skinny KM2's
'99 XJ: stock
'99 XJ: stolen
'06 XK: sold
231HD build guide
skain8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2013, 07:10 PM   #3
docster
2002 WJ 

yea, that was what i was thinking. now to find some HD stock height springs? anyone have those?
Unread 09-24-2013, 05:10 AM   #4
georged
2004 WJ 

Look into air adjustable shocks. Adding or removing pressure will raise and lower vehicle
georged is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 07:41 AM   #5
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

You can probably get away with upcountry springs. The guys on here should be able to tell you whether or not they are still available.

'02 WJ: 4.7L, 5", HP44/9", 231HD, tall & skinny KM2's
'99 XJ: stock
'99 XJ: stolen
'06 XK: sold
231HD build guide
skain8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 09:56 AM   #6
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

Is there any way to move the load around (move stuff out of the front of the boat to the rear) when transporting? 350lbs is a lot of tongue weight to be pulling down on a hitch that is bolted into a unibody. It can take it, but large bumps in the road could place a lot of strain on things. I am pretty conservative when it comes to putting weight on the hitch of my WJ.
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 10:04 AM   #7
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85IrocZ-28 View Post
Is there any way to move the load around (move stuff out of the front of the boat to the rear) when transporting? 350lbs is a lot of tongue weight to be pulling down on a hitch that is bolted into a unibody. It can take it, but large bumps in the road could place a lot of strain on things. I am pretty conservative when it comes to putting weight on the hitch of my WJ.
Funny. We have a higher towable weight that US spec WJ models (7700lb but this is probably due to people sueing each other over there more than here!) but a lower max tongue weight (max on a UK WJ is 308lb) assuming you are sticking to the US limit.....so yes 350lb is like having two mid sized men stood on your towbar......a bit of sag is to be expected! I try not to exceed 220 for a level tow....also that is the maximum downforce allowed on a UK caravan or trailer tongue.
Unread 09-24-2013, 07:28 PM   #8
bradywgn71

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by docster View Post
The rear end of my WJ sags really bad when towing my boat (tongue weight is only 350lbs). I know I need new shocks. Now will just shocks prevent sagging or do i need new springs? I really dont want to lift it with HD springs if I can avoid it since I have a set of 20inch SRT reps waiting for tires (I know, I know, its a Jeep I should lift it, but that is what the SVT is for). Anythoughts on how to prevent this. Its weird. Same boat on my moms WJ and its perfectly level, and I have seen many WJs towing much heavier loads with more tongue weight and no weight distributing hitch. Whats failed on mine?
http://www.wjjeeps.com/trailer.htm

6,500-lb tow rating and 750-lb tongue weight rating w/V8 engine.
(w/weight distributing equipment; otherwise 2,000-lb tow rating, 350-lb tongue weight rating.)

So, you're tongue weight is at the max on your factory hitch without a weight distribution set up. You may have seen other WJs towing heavier loads than yours without weight distribution, but that doesn't make it right.
Unread 09-24-2013, 08:21 PM   #9
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

A weight distribution hitch would help. It made mine sit level when it was stock and I was pulling my camper with it. I don't pull the camper any longer, but if I did, i'd put it back on. I pull the camper with my Yukon XL Denali now with autoride and I still use it with that.

They make them for all size trailers. I got one rated up to 350 lbs by Reese. I think it's called the Mini 350 WD on their website if you want to take a look.

I'd disagree that you should go with stiffer springs.. all that does is leave the weight in the same place (on the rear axle) and it'll wear things out quicker than they should. A weight distribution hitch is different in that it basically turns your trailer and hitch into a lever that distributes the weight to the front wheels as well as the back. It's much easier on the Jeep than any other solution.
brouwmat is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.