rear end going. need to hear from those who've gone thru it.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > rear end going. need to hear from those who've gone thru it..

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 09-28-2013, 12:59 PM   #1
zoomtictac
1999 WJ 

rear end going. need to hear from those who've gone thru it..

so, the rear end is on its way out. it is successively making more and more noise in coasting and braking. what I would like to know is, how long will it last? should I expect one day it will grenade? how bad/noisy will it potentially get?

I can't afford a damn rear end...

zoomtictac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 06:54 PM   #2
zoomtictac
1999 WJ 

anybody...
Unread 09-30-2013, 06:59 PM   #3
Cirruslydakota
1999 WJ 

Junk yard. I bought an entire quadradrive D44a for $65 axle to axle. Had to pull it myself of course but its the easiest way to go.
Cirruslydakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 07:05 PM   #4
cubalz
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirruslydakota View Post
Junk yard. I bought an entire quadradrive D44a for $65 axle to axle. Had to pull it myself of course but its the easiest way to go.
Yeah, that ^ Hell of a lot cheaper that buying a new ring and pinion set with install kit and getting installed. Ask me how I know....
2003 Rubicon - 33x12.50x15 GY Duratracs, 15x10 MT Classic Locks, 2" BL, 2" BB, Warn Front Bumper, Garvin ATS Rear Bumper, Body Armor Extreme Rock Rails, Nth Degree Tummy Tucker, Skid Row Engine, LCA and Gas Tank Skid Plates, Teraflex Quick Disco's, Uniden Pro 520xl CB, 3' Firestik Antenna, BW Flat Fender Flares, Tom Woods DS, Currie Rear Adj Arms
cubalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 07:49 PM   #5
88yjproject
2002 WJ 

You sure it's the rear end? Have you checked the brakes, diff fluid, axle bearings?
Unread 10-03-2013, 03:44 PM   #6
zoomtictac
1999 WJ 

you know, the more I listen to it, not sure that it is the diff. need to get up under it to check the fluid, havent had the chance yet. I have a day off coming up though.

really though it sounds like a rotational consistent sound, vs a constant hum or whirr. and it could just be where I sit in the driver's seat, but it's sounding more and more on one side, mine. its like a dull, consistent, grinding wuppuh wuppuh wuppuh sound. and just last night I noticed while driving past guard rails where the sound could amplify, there's a reciprocating squeak that certainly sounds like my side.
Unread 10-03-2013, 09:56 PM   #7
zoomtictac
1999 WJ 

here is the audio. don't mind the negligent video stream. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2m1...e_gdata_player
Unread 10-04-2013, 08:57 AM   #8
zoomtictac
1999 WJ 

ugh nevermind. figured it out. I lost a wheel stud on the left rear, and the other four had worked loose somehow... I had wiggled on the wheel a few days ago but apparently not hard enough. today there was a shimmy in the rear end, so I got out to check expecting a tire with blown cords. instead I find a lug nut missing!

so, good news and not so good news. don't know what to make of the whole thing. I haven't had that wheel off for anything in quite a while...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.