Rear end feels loose? Ideas? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 24 Old 06-05-2017, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
gamekiller7
1997 ZJ 

Anyone know if the rear upper and lower control arm bushings are the same? Everywhere I look i can only find upper

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 Old 06-05-2017, 11:51 AM
HarryH3
2001 WJ 

It seems that you can only buy complete lower control arms, with bushings already installed. Since I own a press, I would much rather just be able to buy new bushings. I suppose that if you live the land of salted roads though, the lower arms are probably quite prone to rust.

And no, the upper bushings won't work in the lower arms. The upper ones are a very different design because the bushings themselves have to flex to allow the control arm to articulate. Because of the way they flex, they also have to be installed in a very particular orientation or they will quickly self destruct. There are flats on the center steel bushing that must be perpendicular to the frame as they are pressed into the arm.
post #18 of 24 Old 06-05-2017, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
gamekiller7
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryH3 View Post
It seems that you can only buy complete lower control arms, with bushings already installed. Since I own a press, I would much rather just be able to buy new bushings. I suppose that if you live the land of salted roads though, the lower arms are probably quite prone to rust.

And no, the upper bushings won't work in the lower arms. The upper ones are a very different design because the bushings themselves have to flex to allow the control arm to articulate. Because of the way they flex, hey also have to be installed in a very particular orientation or they will quickly self destruct. There are flats on the center steel bushing that must be perpendicular to the frame as they are pressed into the arm.
Yeah I live in Michigan.. salt sucks although my control arms and really my whole undercarriage is actually in great shape. If I could buy bushings I would have no reason to replace the arms.
It's so nice under the Jeep I don't get worried about taking old bolts out haha which is very rare here in Michigan.

post #19 of 24 Old 06-14-2017, 06:23 AM Thread Starter
gamekiller7
1997 ZJ 

Still trying to figure this out. My death wobble is gone but my rear end feels like it's driving over something when I turn. Driving straight no issues.

post #20 of 24 Old 06-14-2017, 06:40 AM
HarryH3
2001 WJ 

What have you checked? Those upper A-arm bushings and the ball joint on top of the axle have to be in near-perfect condition or they will let the axle move laterally. Think of it as rear steering, but you don't get to control which direction it steers!
post #21 of 24 Old 06-14-2017, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
gamekiller7
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryH3 View Post
What have you checked? Those upper A-arm bushings and the ball joint on top of the axle have to be in near-perfect condition or they will let the axle move laterally. Think of it as rear steering, but you don't get to control which direction it steers!
Man can we give this guy an award. You're all over this thing helping people. Lol

How do I check my ball joint. My a arm has the spacer also.

post #22 of 24 Old 06-14-2017, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
gamekiller7
1997 ZJ 

https://www.quadratec.com/products/56015_1006.htm

These look right for the upper rear?

post #23 of 24 Old 06-14-2017, 08:06 AM
HarryH3
2001 WJ 

I really need to get a life...

That is the correct style of bushing, though many claim that Crown stuff doesn't last very long. In that pic, you can see the flats on the center steel insert that I mentioned. The bushings need to be pressed in in such a way that a straight-edge laid across the A-arm will sit perfectly on the flats of both bushings. The bushings have holes through them and the remaining rubber acts as a hinge for the A-arm. When the rubber fails it lets the A-arm move around too much.

The way I checked mine was to lay under the Jeep while my son rocked the body from side to side. If you see any motion at the bushings, where the A-arm is not moving with the body, then that bushing is bad. For the ball joint, I CAREFULLY worked my fingers around up there to feel for any movement. Don't just jam your hand in there as you can end up with a smashed finger if things are really loose. There should be ZERO difference between the motion of the A-arm and the motion of the axle. If you can feel one moving before the other, then either the nut at the top of the ball joint has come loose or the ball joint is worn out. Also check to see if the 3 bolts that hold the ball joint (and in your case, the spacer) to the diff housing. If those are loose, then everything will be moving around.
post #24 of 24 Old 07-21-2017, 07:26 PM
mentalben

Just fixed mine, it was dangerous. A arm bushes were buggered, ball joint was OK but replaced, had new lower control arms made with nissan GQ radial arm bushes. Like a rock now.

Sent from my ZTE T84 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.