Rear end assembly parts shematic - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rear end assembly parts shematic

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 05-06-2013, 12:49 PM   #1
scstrick79
1985 CJ7 

Rear end assembly parts shematic

Does anyone on here have a breakdown of the rear end assembly of a WJ? My axle went out and I bought a used one from caliper to caliper. Now the decision is whether to swasp the whole thing or just raid the parts....

scstrick79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 12:57 PM   #2
Darnice
2004 WJ 

Depends on how your axle "went out". If it was internal to the gearset, then I would do a full swap (assuming the used one is sound), because raiding for parts and getting all the settings and gear mesh just right might be harder. If it was just a bearing or seal, maybe raid for parts.
Darnice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 01:24 PM   #3
scstrick79
1985 CJ7 

It appears that the caliper locked up and over heated the entire thing. I was driving and then there was no power going to the wheel. When I got out and looked under it, the hub and axle housing were glowing red. I can hear the axle turning in the hub but it is not "connected".
scstrick79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 02:01 PM   #4
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

swap the whole thing. don't even bother opening up the old one.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 04:47 PM   #5
Swiff
2000 WJ 

You may be able to change the axles but the ring and pinion are matched sets and will take a good bit of time if you swap over parts. I would swap out whole thing. Also check both assemblies to see if it is posi-rear or limited slip.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.