Rear Driveshaft Stuck - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rear Driveshaft Stuck

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 06-24-2013, 12:08 PM   #1
SpikeSU
2000 WJ 

Rear Driveshaft Stuck

Hey y'all, I'm back again with another probably overly simple question that I just cannot figure out/find a clear answer for.

I'm taking my rear driveshaft out of it's axle yoke to load the WJ on a tow dolly and drive it up to my family's farm so Pops and I can switch out my Dana 30 and 35 for a less busted Dana 30 and a 44a from a 4.7.

I've undone the bolts and taken the straps off the U-joint, but I can't seem to get the damn thing out of the yoke. I tried hitting it with a mallet, and nothing budged. I was a bit reticent to perform heavy percussive maintenance without consulting you fine folks first though.

I tried to push the shaft back into the TC to give myself play and work it out, but apparently I'm too small to actually make that work. Any suggestions?

SpikeSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 12:11 PM   #2
abposromcath
2004 WJ 

I've used a pry bar to wedge each side behind the ujoint gently until it loosened. Hopefully I did so without damaging the ujoint!
abposromcath is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 12:39 PM   #3
SpikeSU
2000 WJ 

I'm gonna try that as soon as it stops raining like crazy here. Yay, driveway mechanic-ery.
SpikeSU is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.