Rear diff wet - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rear diff wet

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-23-2013, 07:19 PM   #1
Brandonsdad02
2000 WJ 

Rear diff wet

I just got back from a trip picking up the kids for the weekend tonight. I was getting ready to leave again when I noticed a wet spot under my jeep towards the rear diff. I crawled under there and the whole diff cover was wet. I looked it over and I don't think it's a seal because the whole cover is wet. The rubber fill plug is still in. My only other guess is the vent tube has come off. I have a 2000 wj limited V8 bone stock. I very rarely take it wheeling if you call going down level B roads wheeling. Any other guesses what it could be. It's getting dark so I can't check to iChat.

Brandonsdad02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 07:32 PM   #2
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Check and see if the pinion seal is leaking. I've also seen where a rear main seal leaks and ends up on the differential (my xj did this). If it's not the pinion, I'd clean it off and keep an eye to pinpoint where it's coming from. Good idea checking the vent tube, just to be sure, but have never seen one come off before.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 11:18 PM   #3
Brandonsdad02
2000 WJ 

I was able to look at it tonight and the only possible place looks to be the rubber fill plug. The front of the diff is dry. Can't see anything leaking down from the top and the seals look fine. I notice a lot of rust flaking off the actual diff cover tho.
Brandonsdad02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.