2Likes
  • 1 Post By UnknownIPandID
  • 1 Post By grussell

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 07-09-2016, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
UnknownIPandID

Rear Brake Question

Hi all,

My rear right brake caliper mounting bolt (the 18mm one connecting mounting bracket to axle) is stripped into oblivion. I can either replace the assembly or repair the hole.

My problem is I don't even know what you would call the replacement assembly, I don't think it would fit under the category of knuckle or spindle (as the front would). If so I'm not finding anything for it under those names.

If I were to repair the thread, I would use Heli-Coil 554612 M12 X 1.75. Does this seem correct?

Please forgive my ignorance as I have searched for quite a while and found 99% of it being front brake related.

Any advice is greatly appreciated,
Thank you!
-Mat

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-09-2016, 10:18 AM
losttech
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

post #3 of 10 Old 07-09-2016, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
UnknownIPandID

Hi,

That is the bracket I'm referring to(but right side), but it is bolted onto the actual axle which is where the thread that is damaged is. Not the bracket itself is damaged. I could take a picture if it would help!!

Thank you!
Mat
post #4 of 10 Old 07-10-2016, 12:04 AM
ak_wj

Garage
I would re-tap it to a common thread. A local shop boogered mine up and I was able to chase them clean, but contemplated replacing that same part. It looks like you have to take the axle apart just to get to it.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-10-2016, 08:08 AM
grussell
2001 WJ 

A picture would help. Here is a diagram of the rear axle, so not sure what you are referring to.
Attached Images

2001 GC Laredo 4.0 4x4 - Black l 2001 GC Laredo 4.0 4x4 - Silver
post #6 of 10 Old 07-10-2016, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
UnknownIPandID

Hi,

I uploaded a picture, sorry I can't be descriptive enough!

I'm glad to see the part I'm referring to does detach from the rear axle, I would just need the name for it! Kind of silly of me to think that it wouldn't.

In the picture you can see the bolt i'm referring to is the large one in the center. The side closest to the bottom is the brake caliper bracket, and the side furthest from the bolt is the part that is where the threads are/ were.

Would there be any drawbacks to drilling and tapping to a common size?

I've provided a google drive link in case my attachment for whatever reason didn't upload correctly.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8h...ew?usp=sharing

Thank you for the help, much appreciated!
-Mat
Attached Thumbnails
20160708_201517.jpg  
post #7 of 10 Old 07-10-2016, 12:41 PM
Dan_in_MN
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownIPandID View Post
Hi all,

My rear right brake caliper mounting bolt (the 18mm one connecting mounting bracket to axle) is stripped into oblivion. I can either replace the assembly or repair the hole.

My problem is I don't even know what you would call the replacement assembly, I don't think it would fit under the category of knuckle or spindle (as the front would). If so I'm not finding anything for it under those names.

If I were to repair the thread, I would use Heli-Coil 554612 M12 X 1.75. Does this seem correct?

Please forgive my ignorance as I have searched for quite a while and found 99% of it being front brake related.

Any advice is greatly appreciated,
Thank you!
-Mat
I take it you're asking about the bolt circled in red? I'm also thinking you're asking about where the bolt threads in where it's circled in green. Correct?

If my thoughts are correct, I would personally repair the thread. I would think the bolt is of a particular grade/hardness/toughness and not just a common bolt.
Attached Thumbnails
20160708_201517.jpg  

2000 WJ Grand Cherokee Black 233,000+ miles
Needs: Left rear wheel bearing. Front right CV joint.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-10-2016, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
UnknownIPandID

Hi,

You are correct, this is the bolt I'm referring to. The green is where the threads are located.

So you're saying you would heli-coil it? I was going based on what ak_wj and would drill it to a slightly larger size, tap it to something common, and find a bolt with the same hardness.

Thank you!
-Mat
Dan_in_MN likes this.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-10-2016, 03:36 PM
Dan_in_MN
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownIPandID View Post
Hi,

You are correct, this is the bolt I'm referring to. The green is where the threads are located.

So you're saying you would heli-coil it? I was going based on what ak_wj and would drill it to a slightly larger size, tap it to something common, and find a bolt with the same hardness.

Thank you!
-Mat
Mat

That should work too! Post back with your progress! I haven't had my brakes apart. YET I need to replace a rear wheel bearing. So, my time is coming soon!

2000 WJ Grand Cherokee Black 233,000+ miles
Needs: Left rear wheel bearing. Front right CV joint.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-11-2016, 02:35 PM
grussell
2001 WJ 

Drilling and re-threading would work just fine. The bolt hardness should be stamped on the head.
Dan_in_MN likes this.

2001 GC Laredo 4.0 4x4 - Black l 2001 GC Laredo 4.0 4x4 - Silver

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.