Rear brake pistons - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rear brake pistons

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-08-2013, 08:08 AM   #1
Ideford Jeep
2000 WJ 

Rear brake pistons

2000 4.0 WG Ltd

In the process of replacing my rear brake pads, I found that the pistons will not return into the caliper - the calipers are now off the car and no fluid in it or brake line attached so there is no prblem relating to brake line acting as a one way valve.

The pistons will go part way in before binding - there is no noticable lip on the piston or caliper. However the piston appears to be made out of some sort of fibre and not metal - has this 'crushed' slightly causing the piston to distort? Can this be machined safely? Has anyone else come across this - a search shows some problems with rear brake pistons binding but no-one has commented on the pistons.

Also, does any-one know if the WJ calipers/pisotns are compatible with the WG (European version)?

Ideford Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 08:52 AM   #2
funkduck
2002 WJ 

I apologize that I don't have much to add to this, except to say that my pistons just easily slid all the way back so it's clear (to me) that they're meant to go all the way in.

I had brakes on an Isuzu that had to be "screwed" back, using a special tool (or the tips of needle-nose pliers).
Unread 03-08-2013, 02:50 PM   #3
shepd
2000 WJ 

http://www.wjjeeps.com/brakes.htm

I can't say if you can machine them (I would say it's a bad idea, myself, but I'm no expert). The pistons themselves are made of a phenolic plastic. Strong, but not shatterproof.

I don't think the pistons would deform, instead, is the bore rusty/dirty/poorly machined?
shepd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 04:23 PM   #4
multmigs
2003 WJ 

if the pistons were forced back using a c clamp and had alot of corrosive stuff all around them they might have deformed. They usually are replaceable instead of replacing the entire caliper if you are into DIY. I found that Jeep itself was selling a kit for the front Akebono calipers which has 2 new pistons and all the associated seals for cheaper than i could buy online last year. Did both fronts for price of single reman caliper myself on a saturday.
multmigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 12:13 AM   #5
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

I did mine recently and had the same problem. I re attached the hose to push the piston nearly all the way out then disconnected the hose and pulled the piston out using soft grips. The piston are ceramic so be careful. Everything looked ok but on closer inspections there was like a thin varnish build up on the piston and dirt in the groove that the seal sits in. A quick clean of both (and the caliper bore) with solvent and 1000 grade yet and dry paper followed by reassembly using lots of fresh brake fluid as lube to make sure the real stayed seated and the piston was I nice sliding but tight fit and works perfectly.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.