Rear blinker won't work - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rear blinker won't work

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 11-04-2013, 08:18 PM   #1
MoMuddin
2000 WJ 

Rear blinker won't work

Ok no blinker fluid jokes. My front left blinker is blinking really fast and my left rear is completely out. I replaced the rear bulb and the socket/unit today and nothing. Where next, circuit relay. Any help would be appreciated,

MoMuddin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2013, 08:32 PM   #2
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMuddin View Post
Ok no blinker fluid jokes. My front left blinker is blinking really fast and my left rear is completely out. I replaced the rear bulb and the socket/unit today and nothing. Where next, circuit relay. Any help would be appreciated,
Your front signal indicator is hyper-flashing, because it senses your rear signal as being out. First, try swapping a socket with the reverse light (police won't stop you for a reverse light being out). If that works, then you know it's a socket problem and you can try bending up the contacts a little. If it still doesn't work, just buy another whole tail light assembly off of eBay. They really aren't worth the time trying to mess with, unless your finances can't take it. In that case, you can take it apart and try to fix or replace the "circuit board" that is inside. Do a search on tail light assemblies. Someone, within the past three weeks, posted how to take those apart, where it usually fails, and how to fix it.

Sent from my iPad using my fingers
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2013, 08:40 PM   #3
MoMuddin
2000 WJ 

Alright sounds good thanks man. I'll update tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkendrick View Post
Your front signal indicator is hyper-flashing, because it senses your rear signal as being out. First, try swapping a socket with the reverse light (police won't stop you for a reverse light being out). If that works, then you know it's a socket problem and you can try bending up the contacts a little. If it still doesn't work, just buy another whole tail light assembly off of eBay. They really aren't worth the time trying to mess with, unless your finances can't take it. In that case, you can take it apart and try to fix or replace the "circuit board" that is inside. Do a search on tail light assemblies. Someone, within the past three weeks, posted how to take those apart, where it usually fails, and how to fix it.

Unread 11-05-2013, 01:00 PM   #4
MoMuddin
2000 WJ 

Ok took it to my mechanic today as I could not figure out the problem. My left rear blinker was not turning on, however the front one was blinking fast. So we swapped the right rear blinker which worked over to the left one and nothing happened. The tested out the the voltage and it appears to be reading a negative charge but nothing positive within the piece that connects the wiring harness to the light assembly. So at this point its either the relay or somewhere along the wires from the fuse box ( under the steering wheel by brake ) all the way to the end of the wiring harness that connects the light assembly. I think I will leave this job up to my mechanic, last time I tried fixing something electrical I ended up making it worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkendrick View Post

Unread 11-05-2013, 03:09 PM   #5
Tumbleweed1954
2000 WJ 

I think it could be the flasher unit. What happens when you turn the 4 ways on?
Tumbleweed1954 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 08:25 AM   #6
MoMuddin
2000 WJ 

When I turn it on, three of them work, except for the left rear blinker. Its a mystery because the back up light and brake light work, but not the flasher. I think your right, im going to purchase a flasher unit today. Im not familiar with flasher units/relays, but are the individual units/relays for each blinker or one that handles all four blinkers? If its just one relay unit, then maybe it actually could be the wiring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed1954 View Post
I think it could be the flasher unit. What happens when you turn the 4 ways on?
Unread 11-07-2013, 12:03 PM   #7
Tumbleweed1954
2000 WJ 

You are right. If it's not the flasher unit then it may be the wire but I just thought of something else~the turn signal switch :-(
Unread 11-07-2013, 12:55 PM   #8
Dealer24028

Unhook the left and right tail light assemblies. Verify the connectors are the same. Plug the right side tail lamp assembly into the left sides connector. See if it works then. 9/10 Jeeps with this problem either need a new socket (tested by switching the socket from the reverse light), a new bulb, or a tail lamp assembly.
Dealer24028 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2013, 03:07 PM   #9
pinky2252s
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dealer24028 View Post
Unhook the left and right tail light assemblies. Verify the connectors are the same. Plug the right side tail lamp assembly into the left sides connector. See if it works then. 9/10 Jeeps with this problem either need a new socket (tested by switching the socket from the reverse light), a new bulb, or a tail lamp assembly.
Im glad someone came along with the right info.

Its not a relay or a flasher. The blinkers AND hazards use the same flasher (combo).

Like Dealer said, 9/10 WJ's are going to need new tail light assemblies. The circuit board most likely has some broken solder joints. A new pair of assemblies will run you like 60-100 bucks new on ebay. Probably less than you paid the mechanic.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #2252
2001 Laredo, 2004 Special Edition
pinky2252s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #10
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky2252s View Post
Im glad someone came along with the right info. Its not a relay or a flasher. The blinkers AND hazards use the same flasher (combo). Like Dealer said, 9/10 WJ's are going to need new tail light assemblies. The circuit board most likely has some broken solder joints. A new pair of assemblies will run you like 60-100 bucks new on ebay. Probably less than you paid the mechanic.
See 2nd post.

rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2013, 08:04 AM   #11
Tumbleweed1954
2000 WJ 

Good Info
Unread 11-10-2013, 08:52 AM   #12
MoMuddin
2000 WJ 

Okay I figured it and I have to say, these things continue to surprise me. I did everything from switching the blinker lights around, buying a new bulb and socket unit, to even inspecting the wiring. I finally purchased a new relay and was going to install it the other day. I opened up below the steering column and decided to "wiggle" the existing relay around just to see what happened. Turned the car on and the left rear blinker started working again. I think it must have lose however it seemed to be in there pretty good. Such a pain the in a$$ for just a little blinking light.

Thanks for all the help guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky2252s View Post
Im glad someone came along with the right info.

Its not a relay or a flasher. The blinkers AND hazards use the same flasher (combo).

Like Dealer said, 9/10 WJ's are going to need new tail light assemblies. The circuit board most likely has some broken solder joints. A new pair of assemblies will run you like 60-100 bucks new on ebay. Probably less than you paid the mechanic.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.