Rear axle seal removal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rear axle seal removal

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 04-26-2013, 07:49 PM   #1
as350b3e
1999 WJ 

Rear axle seal removal

Quick question,

is a slide hammer absolutely necessary to remove the rear axle? I'd hate to spend an extra $150.

as350b3e is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 08:03 PM   #2
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I don't know the answer to that (but am inclined to say you don't), but I'm sure you could find a autoparts store that loans/rents tools.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 08:13 PM   #3
as350b3e
1999 WJ 

Here in Fort McMurray where the shop rate is $210 /hr at dealer there is no such thing as renting tools......
Unread 04-26-2013, 08:26 PM   #4
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Not a dealer, a parts store.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 08:31 PM   #5
SuperStew11
2000 WJ 

Yes you do need a slide hammer to take off your axles, changed my seal and bearings last year
SuperStew11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 08:34 PM   #6
RevNL
1999 WJ 

Since I was replacing the discs at the same time, I bolted the discs on backwards and beat on them with a hammer until the axle came out. It didn't really take a lot of effort.
RevNL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 08:34 PM   #7
as350b3e
1999 WJ 

Ok, I guess I will need to get a slide hammer then.
Thanks.
Unread 04-26-2013, 08:45 PM   #8
dru_b
2008 JK Wrangler 

like said before, the local auto parts store may have a rental tool program... advanced auto, oreillys, autozone all near me do so. cost me $35 to rent a slide hammer with a full refund upon return of tool within 48hrs. although i did pull the rear axles without one. i did this:

i used a torch for the holes but a drill and bit would work just fine. flat plate would work also if it is thick enough not to bend when whacked.
[size=3][color=silver]'08 JKUR - bright silver metallic[/color][/size] - auto - 2.5" TF spring : 33" duratracs : TF hd front trac bar : synergy tie rod bar, drag link & rear trac bar : superwinch : [url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/08-jku-rubi-1713162/][color=orange]dru_bcon "build" thread[/color][/url]
[size=2][color=white]'99 WJ limited, 4.7L v8[/size] - stone white clearcoat[/color] - a revival in progress - [url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/99wj-projekt-phoenix-1494105/][color=orange]projekt phoenix build[/color][/url]
[color=silver]'00 VW golf GTI, 1.8t - satin silver metallic[/color] - "silver arrow" - tastefully modded for quick & nimble
[color=blue]'12[url=http://surlybikes.com/bikes/pugsley/][color=blue] surly pugsley[/color][/url] - real blew w/[color=red]red accents[/color][/color] - 1x10 shimano slx, avid BB7 (red cables), marge lite wheels/red rimstrip, red oury grips & pedals
dru_b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 09:03 PM   #9
CarlJH
2003 WJ 

I used the rotors on backwards method to do mine.
use 3 lug nuts to hold it, piece of wood to protect the rotor,
pull the rotor against the lug nuts so you don't damage them when you hit it.
having someone help either with the hammer or holding part makes it a lot easier.
CarlJH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2013, 12:17 AM   #10
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlJH View Post
I used the rotors on backwards method to do mine.
use 3 lug nuts to hold it, piece of wood to protect the rotor,
pull the rotor against the lug nuts so you don't damage them when you hit it.
having someone help either with the hammer or holding part makes it a lot easier.
This is what all the techs did at the dealership. Not hard at all.
99WJ539918 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2013, 12:42 PM   #11
mycreativename
1999 WJ 

Another rotor user here. Its really not that difficult to get them off.

Good luck.
mycreativename is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2013, 10:07 PM   #12
as350b3e
1999 WJ 

Thanks for the info. One thing I am not quite sure bout is this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazebum View Post
OK - you'll notice the e-brake is off already. I staged the last two pics for the sake of the writeup.
Here's a good pic of the reassembled e-brake setup for reference. The spring clips and retainer pins must be removed to pull this assembly. It was pretty easy with the axle removed - gave much more room to work on it.

[/URL]

E-brake Setup

Take your axle over to your drillpress if you have one (hand drill would probably work too). Use a 3/8" bit to drill into the collar. IMPORTANT: be sure not to drill into the axle - you just want to weaken the collar by removing some materal.

[/URL]

Drilling Collar

Take a cold chisel and place a corner of it in the hole you drilled and give it a whack.

[/URL]

Cold Chisel to the Drilled Collar

This will crack the collar and make it slip right off.

[/URL]

Collar Split

[/URL]

Collar can be removed

Repeat this process for the other side and take the axles with the seals, bearings, collars and grease to your favorite automotive machine shop.
Now's a good time to clean up your rear brake sheilds and other stuff that was coated in oil. What a filthy job this was.

[/URL]

Cleaned up brake shield

One thing - make sure you pull the old bearing race out of the axle tube. These are designed to seat in the axle tube when you seat the axle assembly.

[/URL]

Bearing Race

Now that you have your axles back from the machine shop, you are ready to reassemble. I reassembled the e-brake prior to reinserting the axles since I liked the extra room to work with. Here's the axle ready to go back in:

[/URL]

Assembled Axle

Insert the axles back into the tubes and carefully get the splines engaged into the diff. Make sure you keep the axles on the correct sides - they are not the same length. Once you feel the axle seat, give it a couple of tapes with a deadblow mallet. Reinstall the nuts on the axle flange studs.
Time to adjust the e-brake shows. Slip the rotor back on the axle and rotate it listening for the shoes dragging. The piece next to the spring with the wheel on it is rotated to extend/retract the e-brake the shoe position. They make a special tool for this, but I just used a screwdriver and the heel of my hand to bump it. I have enough special tools.

[/URL]

Reassemble E-brake

I had popped the existing rear pads earlier, there is a wire that holds the outer pad in place and the inside pad has a clip that fits into the hole on the shown in the center of the caliper shown below. I used a "C" clamp to spread the caliper a bit to make getting the caliper back over the rotor easier.

[/URL]

Pull old pads from caliper

[/URL]

Install new pads

That clip is a b###h...

[/URL]

The pad clips were tough to get back on

Bolt the calipers back onto the axles.
Clean up the diff cover surfaces, reapply the Mopar diff sealant and bolt the cover back on. FIll 'er up and rebolt the swaybar to the axle.
Put your wheels back on and get it back on 4 wheels. Thought I'd get my spare into the rotation...

[/URL]

All back together

There you have it. Mine got a test of a 1300 mile vacation trip the day after I completed this. No leaks!!
So, what is meant by this: "One thing - make sure you pull the old bearing race out of the axle tube. These are designed to seat in the axle tube when you seat the axle assembly."
Do I have to replace the old bearing race with new ones? Why do I have to remove them?
Thanks
Unread 04-27-2013, 10:17 PM   #13
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

The new bearings will come with the race. Just as it says, make sure the old race is not in the axle housing before you install the axles.
Unread 04-28-2013, 12:50 AM   #14
as350b3e
1999 WJ 

Ah, of course, I just had a look at my new bearings......
Unread 04-28-2013, 01:05 AM   #15
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

No problem, you would've figured it out when the axles wouldn't slide in all the way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.