Rear axle bearing repair - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rear axle bearing repair

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 10-17-2010, 05:25 PM   #1
Mighty Thor
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Rear axle bearing repair

My rear end has been making noise when I turn sharp in one direction and it is getting worse. Sounds like the tire is rubbing but I determined that it is not rubbing. Noticed that the drivers side was leaking a little gear oil so I pulled the axle. The bearing race in the axle tube spins easily and I slid it right out. I assumed it would be a press fit but mine turns easily. Is that normal and if not, what is the proper way to fix.

Mighty Thor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2010, 08:03 AM   #2
tennesseewj
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Thor View Post
The bearing race in the axle tube spins easily and I slid it right out.
The inner bearing race is a press fit on the axle shaft, but the outer bearing race is not a press fit into the axle tube.

If you're leaking gear oil, though, your axle seal is bad and you have to replace the bearing to replace the seal (yee-haw!)

This write up is decent:

JeepsLimited.com - D35C Axle Seal Removal and Replacement (WJ)

but you don't have to remove the differential cover unless you're due a fluid change anyway - but you probably already knew that since you pulled the shaft to check the bearing.
Originally Posted by Sporer65 View Post
You need to learn, there are 3 things that all JF members must like beside Jeeps:
(1) Guns (2) Women (3) Bacon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraKee99 View Post
I was bored so I forded the river. No oxen were lost.
tennesseewj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2010, 11:21 AM   #3
Mighty Thor
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I did learn that the outer race is supposed to move and now I am at a complete loss as to what is causing the rubbing noise. with the driver's axle out, and turning the passenger side axle, the spider gears were a lot louder than I am used to so I guess the next step is to pull the cover and look for issues there. What should I be looking for in the diff? this is a 99 with a Dana 44 and limited slip rear.
Unread 10-25-2010, 11:42 PM   #4
Mighty Thor
1999 XJ Cherokee 

After reading a bunch of other posts I decided to try to add some Mopar friction additive and see if that would quiet down the noise I had been hearing. Sure enough, after adding the additive to the Royal Purple synthetic gear oil the rubbing sound I had been hearing has started to go away. I will probably still need to pull the seals and replace them in a little while but at least I won't be redoing the whole rear end.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.