The real cost of a 4 inch lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > The real cost of a 4 inch lift

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 08-11-2011, 09:46 PM   #1
holder14
2001 WJ 

The real cost of a 4 inch lift

I am going to be lifting my 01 wj here soon. I am looking at either getting a IRO 3 inch and leaving it at that or going with an IRO 4 inch kit and spending some money. I am considering either one of the kits below for a 4 inch kit.

I would buy new adjustable arms with this kit:
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=PFW
Would get adjustable long front long arms:

I know its not gonna be just bolt this up and go wheeling. I know i will need a new steering stabilizer and driveshaft, but what are the hiden or out of mind things you have to buy to make everything work. How much did you guys end up spending after its all done on your 4 inch lifts? thanks a lot in advance

Last edited by holder14; 08-12-2011 at 05:25 AM..
holder14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2011, 10:36 PM   #2
straty1987

-people add the addco rear sway bar to help with body roll with greaseable bushings so you font get a clunk. around $165
- check to see if your tie rods are worn/loss, if so those will need replacing.
- if your front drive shaft has a boot on either end at 3" or 4" it will need to be swap. if not at 3" you will be good.
- for the steering stabilizer you can get one fore $55 and under like the rough country or the moog one.
- might want to look into coil isolators (things that hold your springs) sicne tehy wear after time and cause our jeeps to lose 1/4" to 3/4" of height. all 8 can run $100 shipped from roackauto

i just did the rusty 2.5", MX6 shcoks, addco rear sway, new coil isolators, and bigger tires . then went on a trip to PA over 160 mils one way to go off roading and did not have a problem. but my front drive shaft is good for up to 3" and i still have have part to add.

you can have no problem or go nuts trying to replace parts to get ride of a death wobble. at 4" i belie you need more then just shock and springs, i think its teh control arms have to be longer.
straty1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 08:03 AM   #3
tbone1004
2004 WJ 

The SS can be had with the IRO kit, and HIGHLY recommended. Email Kolak as you most likely need new tie rod ends and coil spring isolators. If not, it's $250 for peace of mind against death wobble. Highly recommend the adjustable trackbar in the IRO kit

You don't need long arms at that height unless you are after lots of flex. I.e. rock crawling etc. I'm not so I didn't need them. I did my lift for load hauling and because my springs were dead. All depends on what kind of off roading you plan on doing...
tbone1004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 08:11 AM   #4
tsconver
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by holder14 View Post
I am going to be lifting my 01 wj here soon. I am looking at either getting a IRO 3 inch and leaving it at that or going with an IRO 4 inch kit and spending some money. I am considering either one of the kits below for a 4 inch kit.

I would buy new adjustable arms with this kit:
Would get adjustable long front long arms:

I know its not gonna be just bolt this up and go wheeling. I know i will need a new steering stabilizer and driveshaft, but what are the hiden or out of mind things you have to buy to make everything work. How much did you guys end up spending after its all done on your 4 inch lifts? thanks a lot in advance
4" gets expensive, if you want good ride quality you need long arms, even adjustable short arms are at a pretty steep angle and transmit a lot of road vibes back to the jeep where long arms are at much less angle and do not transfer those vibes.

At 4" you need new shocks, adjustable control arms all around or perferably long arms in the front, a arm spacer in the rear, adjustable track bar, double cardan front driveshaft, tight components (tie rod ends, ball joints, wheel bearings) and those are just the minimum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone1004 View Post
The SS can be had with the IRO kit, and HIGHLY recommended. Email Kolak as you most likely need new tie rod ends and coil spring isolators. If not, it's $250 for peace of mind against death wobble. Highly recommend the adjustable trackbar in the IRO kit

You don't need long arms at that height unless you are after lots of flex. I.e. rock crawling etc. I'm not so I didn't need them. I did my lift for load hauling and because my springs were dead. All depends on what kind of off roading you plan on doing...
huh? lift for load hauling? Lifting a vehicle to haul is stupid, if anything you reduce your towing capacity by lifting as you are changing all of the geometries and impacting force distribution.

Also at 4in of lift long arms are highly reccomended no matter what you intend to do if you want a near stock ride.

We have room but for one flag, the American flag . . . We have room but for one language, and that is the English language . . . And we have room for but one sole loyalty...and that is a loyalty to the American people. T. Roosevelt 1919

2003 Grand Cherokee 4.0L Laredo

My Build Thread

A few goodies
http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/h...umb55839/jeep/

2001 Kawasaki 1200 ZRX
A few Speed parts, fun to ride
http://www.zrxoa.org/

2006 Red Liberty
Wife's ride, pretty stock
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/h...mage0008-1.jpg

http://www.cnc4x4.org/

http://www.treadlightly.org/

tsconver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 08:26 AM   #5
FirefightinWJ
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by straty1987 View Post
-people add the addco rear sway bar to help with body roll with greaseable bushings so you font get a clunk. around $165
- check to see if your tie rods are worn/loss, if so those will need replacing.
- if your front drive shaft has a boot on either end at 3" or 4" it will need to be swap. if not at 3" you will be good.
- for the steering stabilizer you can get one fore $55 and under like the rough country or the moog one.
- might want to look into coil isolators (things that hold your springs) sicne tehy wear after time and cause our jeeps to lose 1/4" to 3/4" of height. all 8 can run $100 shipped from roackauto

i just did the rusty 2.5", MX6 shcoks, addco rear sway, new coil isolators, and bigger tires . then went on a trip to PA over 160 mils one way to go off roading and did not have a problem. but my front drive shaft is good for up to 3" and i still have have part to add.

you can have no problem or go nuts trying to replace parts to get ride of a death wobble. at 4" i belie you need more then just shock and springs, i think its teh control arms have to be longer.
Addco sway bar is not necessary. Sure it's nice, but you don't NEED it. Also, a Monroe SS will be more than adequate.
32" BFG M/Ts on JK 17's

-Devin
FirefightinWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 08:27 AM   #6
FirefightinWJ
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone1004 View Post

I'm at 120k...50k+ have been at a lifted height -- either 2", 3", or 5.5". At my current height, 5.5", I've never had DW and I am running original TREs and BJ's -- both of which are still tight.
32" BFG M/Ts on JK 17's

-Devin
FirefightinWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 09:49 AM   #7
r_kelly252
2001 WJ 

damn original bj's and tres huh...
well if you got the coin for the 2nd kit being long arm do it up. its pretty complete.
i do recomend bilstiens for shocks though.
just like firefighting said addco isnt necessary but i have one and i do like it on the highway/towing.
i got my steering stabilizer from kolak... $60 ish shipped and it is a moog one. very very beefy compared to even a Rough country one. iro has a auxiliary one (on their website thats what they called it) where it mounts between your trac bar and drag link. i have purchased it but never put it on... silly i know but i did tre and alignment and im not screwing with that **** just for a ss i dont need on right now.
but it def looks like it would dampen the bump steer better than one in the stock location
r_kelly252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2011, 09:45 PM   #8
holder14
2001 WJ 

Well i just decided to go with the 3 inch lift from IRO. I ended up getting the DT8000 shocks with the bump stops, the adjustable trackbar, and i ordered some zone offroad front sway bar links. I wont ever probably disconnect jks quicker disco's if i bought them anyway so i figured i would save a little money there and just get some good links. I also bought a kevins offroad brand steering stabilizer. I know that means three different companies for my lift but thats ok with me so i can get exactly what i want.

Now to decide on tire size. I Am thinking 265/75R16's based on the recomendations on IRO's website saying they will clear with the DT8000 shocks, but am wondering if thats true. If i dont get the 32's(265/75) i will get 31's(265/70R16) What do you guys think as far as tire size?
Unread 08-13-2011, 09:51 PM   #9
AL04WJ
2004 WJ 

I've been there with IRO 3" and 265/75R16 tires, they just plain don't fit.
Unread 08-13-2011, 10:15 PM   #10
holder14
2001 WJ 

ok well i will get some 265/70R16's. That one extra inch wont make a huge advantage for me, and the smaller (31's) tires will fit a whole lot better so that is the size i will go with. I do wanna be able to wheel it afterall without ripping off my bumper.
Unread 08-13-2011, 10:16 PM   #11
WJ2000
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirefightinWJ View Post
Addco sway bar is not necessary. Sure it's nice, but you don't NEED it. Also, a Monroe SS will be more than adequate.
Thats for sure'' you dont need a rear swaybar, Ive been running my WJ
for over a year now with out it, and really I dont even miss it
Really man'' try it for a week. ''wheres''your sense of adventure'''
2000 WJ 4.0 NEW 4.6 stroker. W/ 4'' Tera Flex Long arm kit, KING 2.5s w/res front,2.5 Kings w/res Rear,Tom wood front drive, 33 x 15s KM2s, Bassett 15'x8 ,fully addjustible Tera flex Track bar, IRO 3link rear, EBC Dippled & sloted front disks, EBC green stuff pads, Iceland off road fender flairs''.

Last edited by WJ2000; 08-13-2011 at 10:20 PM.. Reason: didnt like it
WJ2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2011, 10:58 PM   #12
holder14
2001 WJ 

Im just gonna be running the stock sway bar. Maybe down the road i will upgrade it, but thats after the other things i have planned for the Dub J
Unread 08-13-2011, 11:29 PM   #13
straty1987

i would run without one but i load the top of the jeep things like Sheetrock and plywood for project and duing turns and when windy i can fell the roll. with the bigger sway bar it helps allot.

also when driving fast and turning a tight corner it help.
straty1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2011, 12:14 AM   #14
alwaysHI
2003 WJ 

265/75/16 will fit only if using stock wheels and stock backspacing (no wheel spacers). it'll cost a little trimming, but BigV on here is running 32" KM2's with IRO 3" lift.

just saying...
alwaysHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2011, 12:23 AM   #15
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

I've run without both bars, with just the rear, with just the front, right now I am running discoed on the street because my stupid Rough Country discos clunk so much I went insane. I prefer the bars connected, but offroad I REALLY prefer to disco. I think I will wind up extending some stock end links like I did for the rear and just unbolt them when I want to go wheeling.

Anyway...yeah even with a 2" lift its easy for the costs to skyrocket.
BDS Springs $237
Bilstein Shocks $310
3/4" spacers $25
JKS QDs (didn't like) $146
JKS track bar and tie rod $272
RC QDs (don't like them either) $69
Sold used JKS QDs -$75
So I'm about $1000 into a hybrid 3" lift, but man it drives/tows/wheels nicely. It is just as easy to do the same with a 4" lift if you add in the cost of a driveshaft, add in upgraded track bar/tie rod/drag link (definitely a MUST-HAVE on the tie rod IMO) and any quick discos, additional adjustable arms, shock upgrades, and any replacement parts you might need.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.