RB1 radio issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > RB1 radio issues

Huge Soft top SaleSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-Lo

Unread 04-05-2013, 09:08 PM   #1
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

The limited 04 I just got for Grammy came with the RB1 and the radio always plays. But sometimes the display doesn't come on for a while.

While display is off the only thing that works is the volume. If I turn key to ACC or ON without starting it I get the display and everything is good. When I go to start, it I loose the display from anywhere of 1 minute to 50 minutes at which time the display comes back on and everything is back to normal.

I feel like touching up the solder joints.

86cj74.2L is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2013, 06:19 AM   #2
pdpunome
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

is the nav disc in it while this is happening? these radios are notorious for acting funny with the disc's in them. if it is try without it in and see if you get the same results. if it is not or continues after then remove it completely let it sit for a while then install back in and see if resets itself. its a software firmware issue more than likely.
Unread 04-06-2013, 08:14 AM   #3
g33kdrummer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I've got an issue with the CD player, it just stops playing after a while. Is there a good replacement?
g33kdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2013, 01:03 PM   #4
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdpunome
is the nav disc in it while this is happening? these radios are notorious for acting funny with the disc's in them. if it is try without it in and see if you get the same results. if it is not or continues after then remove it completely let it sit for a while then install back in and see if resets itself. its a software firmware issue more than likely.
It's no disk. Is their firmware on the disk?

It seems like if I remote start it its fine. Radio is on. But if I use the ignition key it will come on. Then when I start engine its off. Then back to on again I have the radio playing but the display is blank, and no response to buttons. It (the display) eventually comes on. But the amount of time ii takes is random.

I need to clean the battery terminals. They are nasty that will power down the radio completely.
Unread 04-06-2013, 01:14 PM   #5
Schlotzky
2007 XK Commander 

The screen turns off in "Start" position among other things to allow maximum current to the starter, so that part is normal. Obviously the screen should be coming on immediately after the engine starts, though. Do try a hard reset and see if anything changes.

Mine used to randomly shut off and restart while driving down the road, even with navigation going. The newest nav disc took care of that issue, but the problem occurred with the old nav disc inserted. Of course, I couldn't say if it occurred with the disc out as well as I never take it out.
Schlotzky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2013, 02:10 PM   #6
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

So the collective thinks its a software issue? Or something wrong with the connections / failing chip?

I cleaned the battery terminals but must not have let them off long enough. The radio still had its presets when I got it to come on.
Unread 04-06-2013, 04:25 PM   #7
Schlotzky
2007 XK Commander 

I don't think the RB1 forgets presets without power. I had my battery disconnected for 6ish hours for my blend door fix and the presets were still there when I turned the Jeep back on. It had lost the time, though, and then briefly received and updated the time. So it's still doing it I presume?
Schlotzky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2013, 05:01 PM   #8
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Yes still doing it.

I know for a fact that I can remote start it and its 98% chance it will be on.

I also know that if its sat awhile I can put it to on and it will come on too. Go to start it though and its a blank display and dead buttons. However the volume always works from both the knob and the remote buttons on steering wheel.

So saying that, it seems to be something related to how the face plate gets connected to the main board. Which I can bring to work and touch up the solder joints.
Unread 12-18-2013, 03:44 PM   #9
Bad_Karma
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Did you ever try touching up the solder joints? If so, any results?
Bad_Karma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.