RB1 issue thats driing me crazy - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > RB1 issue thats driing me crazy

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 11-17-2010, 07:37 PM   #1
BransJeep
2000 WJ 

RB1 issue thats driing me crazy *disc error fixed*

so i have the AI version of the radio..and it didnt come with a disk when i bought it 5 monthes ago, i purchased 3 burned copies from ebay..and all of then said "disk read error" so i was told that the AI vesion of the radion doesnt read burned copies of the dvd. today i went and purchased a factory copy and it said "disk read error agian...now im frustrated
so i have a feeling the dvd lens might be burned out beacause it plays cd's fine..now my question is has anyone experinced this and found a fix??
if i have to sen it away for repair i will..and if anyone knows of any place that will do the repair??

thanks a ton JF

4.5 inch lift, front Ironman 4x4 adjustable CA's
RB1 and full J&L audio setup
Rola roof rack
BransJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2010, 09:19 PM   #2
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

I have the exact same problem. My solution? Garmin. Works way better anyway.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2010, 10:03 PM   #3
BransJeep
2000 WJ 

haha might end up with one..but i hate having things that dont work
Rola roof rack
Unread 11-17-2010, 11:49 PM   #4
BransJeep
2000 WJ 

bump^ any suggestions
Rola roof rack
Unread 11-18-2010, 09:58 PM   #5
BransJeep
2000 WJ 

FIXED! for any one that is interested in fixing thiers it can be done..it take some patience and a little know how. I figured i might as well try to see whats wrong so what i did was take the face off the radio..then the top casing..about 8 phillips screws.
then you have access to the cd slot and drive motors etc...there is four phillips screws the hold this unit in plce. remove them...then with a flashlight locate where the laser sits..use a q-tip with a little windex on it and clean the laser...i had a noticable amount of filth on mine..then with a dry q-tip polish it up and reinstall...it has worked all day today with no isues at all and even plays the cd's faster hopefully this works for others if they try it
Rola roof rack
Unread 05-18-2011, 11:01 AM   #6
LAjeep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BransJeep View Post
FIXED! for any one that is interested in fixing thiers it can be done..it take some patience and a little know how. I figured i might as well try to see whats wrong so what i did was take the face off the radio..then the top casing..about 8 phillips screws.
then you have access to the cd slot and drive motors etc...there is four phillips screws the hold this unit in plce. remove them...then with a flashlight locate where the laser sits..use a q-tip with a little windex on it and clean the laser...i had a noticable amount of filth on mine..then with a dry q-tip polish it up and reinstall...it has worked all day today with no isues at all and even plays the cd's faster hopefully this works for others if they try it
Did this fix your problem or did the error message return? Mine is doing the same thing and works for about 15 minutes before I get the error message. I thought I had a bad disc but if this work, then I'll try.

Others can chime in

2006 KJ CRD... sold 4-21-2012
LAjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2011, 01:22 PM   #7
jdrogers
2002 WJ 

Quote:
FIXED!...use a q-tip with a little windex on it and clean the laser...
I did a similar fix on mine... I purchased a DiscWasher WET DVD/CD cleaning disk and after using it, all my read errors went away. Got the cleaner on eBay for like $7.
jdrogers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2011, 02:36 PM   #8
LAjeep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrogers View Post
I did a similar fix on mine... I purchased a DiscWasher WET DVD/CD cleaning disk and after using it, all my read errors went away. Got the cleaner on eBay for like $7.
Thanks jdrogers. I am into the disassembly but man, there is a lot of disassembly to get to the laser and not even sure I can get to it. I guess I need one of those wet cleaners if all else fails. Sure woulda been easier.

Unread 05-18-2011, 03:01 PM   #9
BransJeep
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrogers View Post
been a year with no errors now!
Rola roof rack
Unread 05-19-2011, 07:20 AM   #10
LAjeep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Finished the cleaning and put all back together and everything seems to be good so far; only time will tell. There is a lag of actual position vs. location shown on map that wasn't happening before. Maybe the result of unhooking the unit and it may have to relearn positioning or something. We'll see!

Unread 12-02-2012, 08:29 PM   #11
dukeryder
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Wj

Quote:

Ok this is the only thing that helped to fix mine; and it was a PITA! I did 2 different cleaner CDs, one DVD specific the other a Wet one, neither worked. Once you get the top off of the unit you'll have to remove a tiny screw holding a 3 piece mechanism in place, reinstalling that piece is the most PITA step. I couldn't access the lens without removing that piece.
dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2013, 06:32 AM   #12
AOR
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I read this post which helped me but I wanted to add some feedback. I purchased an RB1 off ebay which was said to work great. It was not able to read any of the 4 NAV discs I have so I tried a wet disc cleaner twice and still it would not read the disc. I took the radio apart since the seller never responded to me with nothing to lose and on my model I found that I did not need to remove the face of the radio or the 4 screws that hold the mechanism in. I tried that first but was not not able to access the laser lens. I read that someone else had removed the small screw and took apart the three piece thing on top of the lens area. I took pictures first so I would know how it went back together.
It was a pain but with the help of my 8 year old using 2 picks I was able to slide the top piece back in and put the screw back in it. If I had to do it again I would be able to do the entire procedure in about 10 minutes once the radio was on the bench. I cleaned the lens both the copper colored area and the little green one with a Q-tip with rubbing alcohol and I put the radio back in and so far so good it is now working! I would not have known what to do if I did not find this thread thanks and I hope my posting helps others
img_2841.jpg  
AOR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2013, 10:10 AM   #13
LAjeep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The disassembly and lens cleaning fixed mine for a while but then started acting up again so I got a "new" disc and everything worked fine then. Contact WJchris on this forum and he can fix you up. I sold the vehicle about a year ago with the RB1 in it but was working fine then.

Unread 12-09-2013, 09:41 AM   #14
Oclvframe
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Does anyone have a photo of what exactly you need to clean and how the best way to clean it is? I see the carrier for the laser but not sure if that is all I need to clean or not.

-r
Oclvframe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2014, 03:18 PM   #15
Bermuda39

RB 1 Disc Error

Thanks for all the input on RB1 radio......I have tried all but failed what is my next step that would not be so expensive.
I have bought a new Nav disc, the last release Part # 05064033AL from 2013 on ebay, then I cleaned the lens with alcohol and q-tips and then used compressed air in the unit which was very clean and my last attempt was to buy a DVD/CD lens cleaner. I still have the same problem from when I started out......*Reading disc error message* What would be my next step before I purchase a new unit. Please help me out. Thanks !
Bermuda39 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.