Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Raw gasoline smell

632 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  rch105 
#1 ·
Since having the motor replaced approximately 3 weeks ago, and aside from the annoying "ghost whistle", a yet to be located and repaired intake leak... I have been noticing a raw gas smell at the rear of the Jeep. This has only started since the Jeep was repaired, so naturally, one would surmise the problems are related to the swap.

I've checked the rail and injectors and there is no leaking, and had actually replaced all the o-rings, plus, there is no gas smell in the front. It's only pronounced at the rear when you stand there after it's been running or driven. I don't notice it after the Jeep sits awhile. Yes, the cap is on and appears to be OK. Again, this has started immediately after the motor swap.

Suggestions on where to look? Thanks!!!

#4 ·
Check all over the Evap purge canister broken lines elbows can let fumes out as it pumps air from the tank as well and check all your PCV valves for breaks and hoses.
Double check the throttle body and air boxes and any hoses to them I had a broken collar in mine around the throttle body couldn't tell as it was on the bottom sort of inside the rubber neck but is was causing a vacuum leak and maybe some odor as well.
On the whistle was your fuel filter changed during any of this?

#5 ·
First... THANKS!!!

Admittedly, I'm not certain where all of these components are physically located so I'm at a disadvantage. I'm certainly going to take your advice and do a check of the areas you mentioned after I find where they are.

No, the fuel filter was not changed and if I recall, that filter is at the right rear, along the rail. Please correct me if I'm wrong... that's the only way we learn. Constructive criticism helps.

As a note, the tea kettle whistle is a real hard one... almost no rhyme or reason to it. Here's a typical scenario:

Cold or warm start, generally doesn't whistle with A/C turned on or off. Motor comes to operating temp and with or without driving, may or may not start whistling. Driving it easy will start the whistle but takes a bit longer if there is more demand on motor (like harder throttle or going uphill). Letting off gas, whistle is pronounced, getting on gas whistle is barely audible.

Guessing, I'd say it is motor temp related. I've checked the manifold bolts/nuts and found the rear, #6 cylinder stud nut a bit loose. I torqued it, then check all the others. I removed the throttle body and put on a new gasket. I removed the TB air box and wiggled the hoses and still have the noise. When I take it out for a ride and push it to get it to whistle, I get about 3 to 4 minutes if I pull over and quickly pop the hood, to try to find the source of the whistle. Oh, I've replaced the o-rings in the injectors and have wiggled them too. I'm thinking manifold gasket bc I haven't replaced that, or... the intake manifold has a crack that is underneath as this is where the noise "appears" to be coming from. Seems that when the internal temp of the motor rises, the noise starts.

Sorry if this was lengthy, but just trying to be informative so someone can give their two cents... tired of the noise and smell of raw gas. Perhaps both are related.

HELP!!!!! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.