Rattle/Grind after long uphill climb (4.0 WJ with 242) and p1494 code - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Rattle/Grind after long uphill climb (4.0 WJ with 242) and p1494 code

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-04-2013, 05:42 PM   #1
lesterpolfus
2001 WJ 

Rattle/Grind after long uphill climb (4.0 WJ with 242) and p1494 code

Hey folks,

I have a 2001 WJ Laredo with the 4.0 I6, and the 242 transfer case, with 127K miles.

I had the transmission rebuilt last year by a very reputable shop in town. It's run great ever since.

I live in South West Washington and it has been very hot here, twice we've experienced the following:

After a very long, steep uphill climb on forest roads (like gaining 2,000 feet of elevation in about 4 or 5 miles) the Jeep makes a grinding/rattling noise from the transmission or transfer case. Both times the Jeep was in 4 Full Time.

The first time my wife was driving with a friend and I wasn't in the car to hear it. For those of you that know the area, it was the road up to Silver Star mountain, and it was about 90 degrees out.

The second time I was driving, air temps were lower, in the high 70's or low 80's. Engine temp was right at 210, which is a little high for my Jeep, but it seemed reasonable, since we'd been doing a long uphill climb for several miles. I heard a grind/rattle from the transmission or transfer case area, that coincided with giving the Jeep more gas,and it didn't seem to want to respond to the throttle.

This was right before the summit of the road we were on, so we got outside, turned the car off and let it sit for a few minutes. It was fine the rest of the time.

All the fluids look good, and there's no leaks, hot smells etc.

Also, I've had an intermittent P1494 Leak Detection Pump code for the last couple weeks. I've made a cursory examination of my vacuum hoses, but haven't really dug into it.

Any thoughts?

Regards,

David

lesterpolfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 12:06 AM   #2
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

First thing to come to mind, is how is your front driveshaft? More particularily the t-case side? If it is the rezeppa, is the boot ripped? That's the first place I'd look. Also what's the fluid in the t-case like?

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 06:36 AM   #3
rcwj04

2004 WJ 

Mine did that, now it's blown to hell. Chain is stretched, possibly even off of my gears. I'd say the transfer case is the problem. Mine did it when ever I was in 4wd and the tires spun a bit. Try to change the fluid maybe you will get away lucky.

Quote:
You forget that most members here don't own a crystal ball to tell you exactly what your problem is, specially with bad pictures that don't say/show much of anything... -Jacko84

Just a 19 year old kid with a Jeep, and broke because of it, and loving every moment.
---------------------------------------------------------------
2004 WJ Laredo 4.0 116k
2" BDS coils & Bilstein 5100's | Addco rear swaybar with energy bushings |
K&N FIPK | glasspack | plasti-dipped badges | 17" moabs | HID's, 245/65/17 Cooper Discover AT3 | Rola rack | Fawkes stand alone shackle tabs | Bed lined interior (what a pain that was)
rcwj04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 09:28 PM   #4
lesterpolfus
2001 WJ 

All looks good under the Jeep, boots and drive shafts look fine. No leaks. We just moved house so I can't find what I need to open up the transfer case, I'll locate it in the next couple days. The T-case fluid was changed out two years ago when I bought the Jeep.

Thanks for the help folks. If anybody else has ideas I'd love to hear them.
Unread 07-07-2013, 03:59 PM   #5
lesterpolfus
2001 WJ 

Hey guys,

The transfer case looks fine. I ran the Jeep up another hill yesterday, and got a little more info. The noise sounds like its coming from the tranny, gets better in Neutral, and goes away in Park, so tomorrow I'll be giving the rebuild guy a call.

Thanks,

David

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.