Random stall, low idle, no codes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Random stall, low idle, no codes

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 01-19-2013, 07:07 AM   #1
outofrng623
2004 WJ 

Random stall, low idle, no codes

Thanks for looking...

04 JGC 4.7 no mods

Yesterday, sitting at a light, heat on, nothing else, car slowly dropped in idle and stalled. No CEL, no codes, notta. Started right back up. I pulled over, sat for a while and it acted fine. Drove for 5 minutes, parked, sat there for about 5 minutes and the idle dropped to under 500 and then it caught itself and went up to 650. I think if I were in gear, it wouldve stalled. Happened one more time driving home, but I tapped the gas before it stalled because I was sitting at a light with traffic behind me and I didnt want to be "that guy".

TPS has checked out fine, has new plugs for a while now, new air filter, new fuel filter, battery is good, alt is good, IAT checked out ok with resistance check, a quick IAC check came out ok, removed, idle went up, back on, reverse, steering and AC and it barely changed in RPMS, checked for vac leaks by spraying cleaner. O2 sensors all appear to be operating properly. There is only one thing that I noticed that was slightly weird to me. When my jeep is idle the TPS shows it's at 11% which is normal (WOT it shows almost 80%, also normal), but when this issue happened (not the actual stall, wasnt monitoring then) my TPS reported 7.8%, voltage dropped as well as RPMs.
Thoughts?
Would a drop in RPMs change the throttle position at idle? I wouldn't think so? I would think the problem is the TPS or IAC But, what do I know?

thanks

dials-stall.jpg  
outofrng623 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2013, 09:10 AM   #2
99SK04GTX
2004 WJ 

Clean your throttle body
99SK04GTX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2013, 09:21 AM   #3
outofrng623
2004 WJ 

That's today's plan. Just odd that its so random.
Unread 01-19-2013, 09:30 AM   #4
imaguy3
2004 WJ 

doesn't hurt to check battery connections too. Last week I got gas, went to restart car and as soon as I put in gear it stalled. Gave it a sec. and then it started right back up. When I got home and was looking over things I noticed my negative terminal had worked loose enough that it would rotate a little on the post. Tightened it back up and all's been well.
Unread 01-19-2013, 09:32 AM   #5
outofrng623
2004 WJ 

I actually just changed mine about two weeks ago and did check them just in case...all good.
Unread 01-19-2013, 02:50 PM   #6
outofrng623
2004 WJ 

So, went to clean the iac and it fell right apart. It was covered in chunks and grime. Had to get one from the stealership. Also got a new Pcv. Dumped a whole can of tb cleaner, let it sit for a few hours. Put it all back together, too soon to tell if the problem still exists or not but I can tell you this...my throttle position at idle is now 0.5% lower and my wide open throttle has gained 5%. This is sure to improve gas mileage. More to come as time goes by...
image-1217596701.jpg  
Unread 03-23-2013, 09:47 PM   #7
outofrng623
2004 WJ 

Wow. Forgot about this thread too. I have a tone of info on another thread. 6mpg, check my username for that thread.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.