Random Misfire - What else can i fix!? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Random Misfire - What else can i fix!?

Bilstein Blowout Sale - 4 5100 Series Shocks $309.99 shippSALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-LoPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 04-13-2011, 08:00 PM   #1
enjoithis
1999 WJ 

Question Random Misfire - What else can i fix!?

I have a 99 Grand Cherokee Limited, v8 with 160k miles on it
I continue to get codes P0202 -0207

So far I have changed injectors, throttle position sensor, fuel filter, and spark plugs. The issue is very intermittent, it seems to drive fine for the first 5-10 minutes every time, and then it starts to misfire badly. It will also go away after driving for some time, and randomly come back again. Any suggestions?

enjoithis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2011, 03:37 AM   #2
devis
2000 WJ 

I've experienced the same exact thing on my Infiniti J30. At close to 200k it started to behave like so... didn't pass smog, i was told to replace the O2 sensors. That, along with a tuneup brought it back to normal.
devis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2012, 12:51 PM   #3
mybabyjasper
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I've had the same problem in my 96, but I changed O2 sensors and the codes still keep coming back intermittently (changed spark plugs, wires, tailpipe, checked cat)
mybabyjasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2012, 04:47 PM   #4
FrankU
2004 WJ 

Had a similar problem with a Chevy Suburban. It ended up being the wires.
Unread 04-10-2012, 05:05 PM   #5
wjjeeplkstevens
2001 WJ 

I had a similar issue on my jeep a when i first got it, could not find the source of a misfire on cyl 7 code. After I finally gave up replacing things myself (plugs, coil packs, fuel injectors etc.) i took it into the shop and after doing a compression/leak down test they determined it was a burnt valve... a full head job and $1500 later she purred like a kitten again (not that it really ran that rough before, just a slightly rough idle and the check engine light...) I hope this is not your case, but i thought i would throw that out there anyway...
2001 WJ - 5 / 4.5 inch lift- Clayton coils, IRO long arms, IRO Rear Adjustable A-arm and lowers, Bilstein 5125 shocks, ADDCO 684 Sway bar. Carolina Driveline double cardan conversion rear DS 255/75/17 BFG MT KM2's on Rubicon Rims. K&N CAI, 04 HO Intake Manifold, 3 in y-pipe back exhaust. 55w HIDs. JL audio upgrade
wjjeeplkstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2012, 05:49 PM   #6
mybabyjasper
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Kj

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjeeplkstevens View Post
I had a similar issue on my jeep a when i first got it, could not find the source of a misfire on cyl 7 code. After I finally gave up replacing things myself (plugs, coil packs, fuel injectors etc.) i took it into the shop and after doing a compression/leak down test they determined it was a burnt valve... a full head job and $1500 later she purred like a kitten again (not that it really ran that rough before, just a slightly rough idle and the check engine light...) I hope this is not your case, but i thought i would throw that out there anyway...
Oh dear God I hope not, but it's looking like I'll have to take it in. A similar thread said check the PCM and there's a YouTube vid for how to fix it... That'll be my first (sixth) check, then it's to the shop (luckily we have a jeep specialty shop by me called No Excuses).
Unread 10-10-2012, 06:30 PM   #7
dielawn
1999 WJ 

What ended up being the problem?

www.facebook.com/ritualsindy
www.reverbnation.com/rituals
dielawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2012, 10:24 PM   #8
mybabyjasper
1996 XJ Cherokee 

It ended up being a cylinder/valve problem. With it being a 96 and given me such a good run, I'm not spending the $2G to fix it. Small issue, too much labor to get to :-(

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.