Radio stop vocals??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Radio stop vocals???

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Reply
Unread 01-05-2010, 11:04 AM   #1
78treehugger
Registered User
1980 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: , IN
Posts: 1,610
Radio stop vocals???

I think I am asking a stupid question but I wanted to be sure before I bought a new radio. My wife was driving to work and called me to tell me the radio quit working. Apparently, the lights and the numbers move (CD time counter). But there is no vocals. She said then the numbers quit counting. It will turn on and off but still no vocals. It just quit in the middle of playing the cd. I am guessing the radio internals have gave up and I need to just get a new radio. Any ideas on a fix or what to look for? Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

__________________
1980 CJ 7--3" Black Diamond, 1" body, locked both ends, 4.56, 35x12.50x15 SS LTB, "family" cage

It's easier to get forgiveness than permision.
Salad is what food eats!!!
http://emptypocketsoffroad.org/
78treehugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2010, 11:16 AM   #2
JrMechanic
Registered User
 
JrMechanic's Avatar
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lima, Ohio
Posts: 3,368
What jeep is it? Does it have the infinity system? Sounds like more of a factory amp problem than a stereo problem.
__________________
Want to swap an NP242 or NP231 into your ZJ? Here's how:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/n...pdated-685644/
JrMechanic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2010, 11:19 AM   #3
ezflip
NEWS FLASH It snows in MI
 
ezflip's Avatar
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 5,026
Might get better help here Electrical, Audio, & 2-Way Radio

Oh, and specify if it is playing any sound at all or if the music is playing but no lyrics. Vocals, to me, means the music is playing but no one is singing. If no sound at all is playing, you need to specify that.

Also specify what vehicle its in and if you have an after market radio or stock and whether it is the infinity system or not.
__________________
~James

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series


Build Thread


ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2010, 11:41 AM   #4
impuresoul2k3
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 565
It could be the vocal rendering engine (VRE). Check the VRE thermostat and cooling system. The VRE and the Muffler bearings share the same cooling system (using headlight fluid as a coolant), maybe the muffler bearings are going bad, adding more heat which the VRE/bearing cooling system can't handle and causes the VRE to overheat. Did she mention at one point that everyone started sounding like Michael Jackson? That's one of the indicators that the VRE is getting too hot.
__________________
1993 Grand Cherokee Limited, 5.2L
Modified/Slightly Ported Kegger
Air hat spacer
Modified Throttle body
Flowmaster muffler
impuresoul2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2010, 11:42 AM   #5
78treehugger
Registered User
1980 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: , IN
Posts: 1,610
impuresoul2k3--thanks for the nonsense on a serious question.

To everyone else that took the time to respond seriously instead of being an arse....
Sorry. I am used to posting in the CJ section with my sig for reference. It's a 2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo. Non-infinity stock system. No sound at all. Lights come on but no sound and the numbers quit changing. No sound with CD or radio.

I have entered a thread in the electrical section. Thanks.
__________________
1980 CJ 7--3" Black Diamond, 1" body, locked both ends, 4.56, 35x12.50x15 SS LTB, "family" cage

It's easier to get forgiveness than permision.
Salad is what food eats!!!
http://emptypocketsoffroad.org/
78treehugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2010, 12:47 PM   #6
adam03wj
Registered User
2003 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: santa clarita, ca
Posts: 44
never had that problem in my jeep while i had the stock radio in it, if i still had it i would just send it to you, check the back cables maybe, otherwise just go buy an aftermarket radio, probably not worth the headache of patching it up.
adam03wj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2010, 01:14 PM   #7
JS97ZJ
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Dingmans Ferry, PA
Posts: 2,043
this might sound dumb but I always believed that "If it has a screw in it, it can be taken apart" And if it can be taken apart, there's some idiot like myself that going to try and fix it. If it's record player, 8 track, casssette, reel to reel, or this case cd all have one thing in common. to drive or move the recorded media over a sensor, or move the sensor across the media. That's what it sounds like you have. Power to the unit but no drive for the sensor hence no visually advancing #'s. If that cd player is original to that rig, it could be that the little dc drive motor is cooked or the long thin jack screw it drives is bound up with dirt. Access the bottom of the unit, hopefully without running into curcuit boards with short wires. Check for excessive dust and or binding around the screw jack or the nylon follower that rides the screw to advance the sensor carriage. Clean it with alcohol & Q-tip & check that the motor moves freely. There should be no binding. don't lub the screw and follower but if you must use dry silicone, and tiny amount of sewing machine oil for the motor. There's also a drive motor for the cd itself the same pan cake style used in computer hard drives. in fact that's exactly what it is. In most cases its easier to either replace it with a good salvaged unit or up date it with a new one.
JS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2010, 02:06 PM   #8
melk
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 2,891
I have 96 Laredo with the Infinity system and randomly my radio unit will either shut off or switch from radio to cd or tape input. It sometimes happens when I hit a bump, but not always. Sometimes it will seeminly just power off at random.

I'm assuming something is loose, but I don't know where to start looking. Can I pull out the head unit from the dash without having to take the whole dash apart? Other places I should look for problems? All the wires into and out of the amp under the rear seat seem tight. Thanks
melk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2010, 04:50 PM   #9
ratmonkey
R.I.P.
 
ratmonkey's Avatar
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: , Pennsylvania
Posts: 19,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS97ZJ View Post
this might sound dumb but I always believed that "If it has a screw in it, it can be taken apart" And if it can be taken apart, there's some idiot like myself that going to try and fix it. If it's record player, 8 track, casssette, reel to reel, or this case cd all have one thing in common. to drive or move the recorded media over a sensor, or move the sensor across the media. That's what it sounds like you have. Power to the unit but no drive for the sensor hence no visually advancing #'s. If that cd player is original to that rig, it could be that the little dc drive motor is cooked or the long thin jack screw it drives is bound up with dirt. Access the bottom of the unit, hopefully without running into curcuit boards with short wires. Check for excessive dust and or binding around the screw jack or the nylon follower that rides the screw to advance the sensor carriage. Clean it with alcohol & Q-tip & check that the motor moves freely. There should be no binding. don't lub the screw and follower but if you must use dry silicone, and tiny amount of sewing machine oil for the motor. There's also a drive motor for the cd itself the same pan cake style used in computer hard drives. in fact that's exactly what it is. In most cases its easier to either replace it with a good salvaged unit or up date it with a new one.
these days we have things called microchips that decode the information read from a cd, they can and do go bad and you'll never see it. fixing a car radio is cost prohibitive for the average person when a new one of better quality can be had for 150$ or less.
__________________
'97 zj 5.2, some stuff, some other suff, and some things that even work sometimes.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2010, 05:33 PM   #10
cj7Sswampers
Registered User
1982 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jamestown, NY
Posts: 362
AND THATS WHATS WRONG WITH THE WHOLE GOD DAMN WORLD! EVERYTHING IS "BUY A NEW ONE WHEN IT BREAKS" LEARN TO FIX THE STUFF YOU USE!!!

Sorry.
__________________
P$yCh0--82' CJ7--Chevy 305--T-176--Dana 300--39.5" Super Swamper TSL's--12" lift--S.O.A. Conversion--Old Sarge
EVERYTHING IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE
cj7Sswampers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2010, 06:31 PM   #11
BigRed4x4
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Gray, TN
Posts: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78treehugger View Post
impuresoul2k3--thanks for the nonsense on a serious question.
Glad you said something, I just about believed him!!
__________________
'93 ZJ, 4.0L, D30 & D35, NP231, 4" Lift, 31" BFG's, Soft 8's, Painted Cladding, Glasspack, JVC Deck, CB, Lightbars, JKS Discos & TB, Tow Hooks Everywhere...more crap.
BigRed4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2010, 07:09 PM   #12
Falkon
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,027
KaleCoAuto, Hard to find automotive items!
Falkon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2010, 08:12 PM   #13
Katesdad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Complete, Confusion
Posts: 1,772
Wow I want that radio! You have the ultra rare Karaoke model. Never heard of such a thing happening.
Katesdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2010, 11:59 PM   #14
ratmonkey
R.I.P.
 
ratmonkey's Avatar
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: , Pennsylvania
Posts: 19,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj7Sswampers View Post
AND THATS WHATS WRONG WITH THE WHOLE GOD DAMN WORLD! EVERYTHING IS "BUY A NEW ONE WHEN IT BREAKS" LEARN TO FIX THE STUFF YOU USE!!!

Sorry.
Some things are meant to be disposable, some things are cheaper as a whole than some of their parts, some things you can't buy parts for, and some things you can't fix at home.

Its a radio, some 10 year old Thai girl is making more everyday.
__________________
'97 zj 5.2, some stuff, some other suff, and some things that even work sometimes.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2010, 09:27 AM   #15
placoo12
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Trinity, FL
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by impuresoul2k3 View Post
It could be the vocal rendering engine (VRE). Check the VRE thermostat and cooling system. The VRE and the Muffler bearings share the same cooling system (using headlight fluid as a coolant), maybe the muffler bearings are going bad, adding more heat which the VRE/bearing cooling system can't handle and causes the VRE to overheat. Did she mention at one point that everyone started sounding like Michael Jackson? That's one of the indicators that the VRE is getting too hot.

HAHA i agree with this 'tard.
placoo12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.