Radiator Replacement vs Heater Core - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Radiator Replacement vs Heater Core

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-05-2013, 09:58 PM   #1
filipm
2002 WJ 

Radiator Replacement vs Heater Core

So I just finished replacing my heater core and a/c evap about 2 weeks ago and now developed a leak from the radiator. Checked all the hoses and clamps and they're bone dry only dripping from the bottom of the radiator.

I've found a # of good posts here about a radiator replacement:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...w-pics-530365/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...ement-1445877/

Few questions. I have the V8 with the hydraulic fan. My goal is to try to replace the radiator without removing the fan assembly or the a/c condenser. From reading a few looks like it's possible just a pain. Just wondering how much more difficult this would be than the heater core debacle I just went through.????

Unread 07-06-2013, 05:31 PM   #2
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Keep in mind that I don't have the hydraulic fan assembly but if you already did the heater core and did your reading as indicated, I think you're good.

Be sure to disconnect the fog light wires before the bumper is removed...
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2013, 06:52 PM   #3
coloradowjowner
2002 WJ 

I changed mine in about 4 hours give or take. If you have some help lifting the radiator out it would be nice since the hydraulic fan will still be attached to it and it is rather heavy and awkward. But it is rather straight forward.
coloradowjowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2013, 06:54 PM   #4
coloradowjowner
2002 WJ 

The ac condenser will stay behind without disconnecting or evacuating the refrigerant. Just be careful not to damage the fins.
Unread 07-06-2013, 08:30 PM   #5
Jer-Bear
2002 WJ 

You do NOT have to remove the bumper or even grill for heavens sake... I've done a radiator job TWICE and never had to do that. Just take out the 4 bolts holding the radiator onto the fan and with some adjustment it should come out. Two people would be best to help move stuff out of the way. Be sure not to damage the rows on the new one putting it in.
Unread 07-06-2013, 10:52 PM   #6
filipm
2002 WJ 

Ended up getting a quote and an appt at a local shop. They want about $600 all said and done for the rad, hoses, coolant. Napa parts is less than $250 all in.

Jer-Bear thanks for the info, I'll take a look tomorrow AM and reevaluate. So I'm thinking the 2 trans lines, 2 mounting bolts through the grill and the 4 bolts on the fan housing.
Unread 07-06-2013, 11:02 PM   #7
coloradowjowner
2002 WJ 

Just make sure you pick up some MOPAR approved power steering fluid. And maybe a quart or two of transmission fluid.

My new radiator was purchased at autozone, I think it was $120ish. It comes with a warranty also.

And yes to remove the bumper is not necessary.
Unread 07-06-2013, 11:06 PM   #8
Jer-Bear
2002 WJ 

Also, "Mopar approved power steering fluid" is any fluid that is for Chrysler 5931. O'Reilly's sells it by the quart.
Unread 07-06-2013, 11:18 PM   #9
filipm
2002 WJ 

I already have a quart or so of each. Wouldn't I only need the trans fluid since not removing the fan shroud assembly?
Unread 07-06-2013, 11:34 PM   #10
coloradowjowner
2002 WJ 

In both my 02's 4.0 & 4.7 the main radiator shares a section or core with the transmission, so I believe the transmission radiator is built in to the main or coolant radiator.
Unread 07-06-2013, 11:35 PM   #11
coloradowjowner
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer-Bear
Also, "Mopar approved power steering fluid" is any fluid that is for Chrysler 5931. O'Reilly's sells it by the quart.
Yes thank you for the clarification.
Unread 07-06-2013, 11:39 PM   #12
coloradowjowner
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by filipm
I already have a quart or so of each. Wouldn't I only need the trans fluid since not removing the fan shroud assembly?
Unless you find another way of removing the radiator. The hydraulic fan and shroud will be removed when changing the radiator. You will have to disconnect the hydraulic lines from the fan to the power steering pump. Hence the reason for the need of power steering fluid.
IMHO removing the entire radiator, shroud, and hydraulic fan seemed to be the simplest and easiest way to complete my repair.
Unread 07-06-2013, 11:45 PM   #13
Jer-Bear
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradowjowner View Post

Unless you find another way of removing the radiator. The hydraulic fan and shroud will be removed when changing the radiator. You will have to disconnect the hydraulic lines from the fan to the power steering pump. Hence the reason for the need of power steering fluid.
IMHO removing the entire radiator, shroud, and hydraulic fan seemed to be the simplest and easiest way to complete my repair.
I agree. It makes it easiest, but if you're rushing it takes forever. And when I did mine, I still to this day can't get my high pressure line to seal up. I still have a small leak.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.