Radiator problems, what part do I need? - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 10-11-2017, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
fastblack
2000 WJ 

Radiator problems, what part do I need?

Was sitting in my Jeep waiting on a friend. It was idling at normal temp and then lots of white smoke. I figured it was just a hose but when I popped the hood I found this.

What part do I need to fix this? What exactly was there?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-11-2017, 10:04 PM
rabidpenguin
2004 WJ 

Garage
Looks like it blew the back out. Probably need a new radiator or some jb weld or plastic weld.

2004 WJ,242tcase,255/75/17 Wranglers,UnidenCB w/4ft firestick. Member of RDJ
post #3 of 16 Old 10-12-2017, 03:38 AM
dlundblad
2003 WJ 

Can you find that at a junkyard?

03 WJ Laredo 4.Sl0w
2" BB-Overland Skids
IPF 868 lights-197K
245/75/16 GY DuraTracs

post #4 of 16 Old 10-12-2017, 04:10 AM
HarryH3
2001 WJ 

Was the engine overheating? Sitting at an idle for a long time with a dead electric fan (assuming there is no engine-driven fan as well) would increase pressure in the cooling system. The cap should have released pressure into the overflow bottle before building enough pressure to blow that out.

You could glue a cap in place as a temporary fix but how old is the radiator? If it's old, I'd suggest getting a new one, along with a new radiator cap. Personally, when replacing a radiator, I also replace the hoses, just to ward off future problems. On my 4.7 I even replaced the water pump, simply because it was much easier to access while the radiator (and hydraulic fan) was out of the way.
post #5 of 16 Old 10-12-2017, 05:45 AM
Double E
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

That radiator has what the folks here are describing as a screw-in cap on an outlet of the radiator. Why it is there is because that radiator is an aftermarket unit and it is configured to fit a variety of vehicles using that plastic outlet assembly along with the ones that your jeep actually uses. I've had that same radiator type in my 2000 WJ. it leaked on me but after giving it a turn, it did not leak again. In my experience, those radiators only last 3-4 years in the WJ.

Yours has become weak with age and as another poster indicated may have become over-pressurized, which also means the cap is probably not good....or the plastic was really becoming brittle and could not even handle the 13-16 PSI the system normally operates at.

New radiator & cap is your minimum solution. It's an easy DIY job, just takes a few hours and there are plenty of write ups on the topic. A shop is going to charge you $700 or more & the dealer will be around $1000 because they will also replace belts, water pump, t-stat, hoses and probably even the fan clutch. You can decide what you want to replace in addition but I would strongly encourage you to do the water pump & t-stat too. If you do the swap, I recommend an all aluminum radiator for a little extra $ and the security that this will probably never happen again. it will outlast the rest of the vehicle if flushed every other year.

That it happened when it did and you caught it, means you likely saved your engine from certain destruction. A+ to you.

Worst case scenario: There is a chance that it over-pressurized from a blown head gasket. To be 100% certain that you're not putting in a new radiator into a bad engine, you could do (or have) a compression check to verify the HG is still good, then do the radiator swap. The tools to do that yourself are not expensive and use is straightforward with u-tube.

'04 Freedom Edition HO & '04 Overland HO (previous '00 Laredo 4.7)
post #6 of 16 Old 10-12-2017, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
fastblack
2000 WJ 

I kind of figured that ďholeĒ was for a differently configured vehicle that used the same radiator. The plug is threaded and does look replaceable but sounds like a new radiator is the best option.

The Jeep was not running hot at the time this happened and the fan works properly. A blown head gasket entered my mind but both the oil and coolant look as they should and there are no other symptoms of a blown head gasket.

Thanks for all the help! Thankfully this happened in my driveway and the Jeep never got hot. Looks like Iím going radiator shopping

post #7 of 16 Old 10-12-2017, 08:27 AM
jtec

And a new pressure cap to be safe.
post #8 of 16 Old 10-12-2017, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
fastblack
2000 WJ 

Agreed

post #9 of 16 Old 10-12-2017, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
fastblack
2000 WJ 

Any recommendations on a radiator? Rather stay away from OEM just because of the price tag but if itís the best way to go Iíll bite that bullet. I just imagine for that price I could get a higher quality aftermarket unit.

post #10 of 16 Old 10-12-2017, 11:55 AM
Double E
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Look up e-bay for the all aluminum unit. Folks here have discussed them. Nothing special about the OEM unit. It will need to be swapped in 3-4 years same as the others of that type depending on them being flushed regularly.
YeepinBlue likes this.

post #11 of 16 Old 10-12-2017, 01:52 PM
MOTOWN
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double E View Post
Look up e-bay for the all aluminum unit. Folks here have discussed them. Nothing special about the OEM unit. It will need to be swapped in 3-4 years same as the others of that type depending on them being flushed regularly.
Here is one from Fleabay! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-rad...53.m1438.l2649
post #12 of 16 Old 10-12-2017, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
fastblack
2000 WJ 

Thanks!

post #13 of 16 Old 10-12-2017, 03:37 PM
AVR2
2002 WJ 

I agree that Mopar rads are simply not worth the price premium. In the 10 years I owned my KJ from new I went through three OEM rads - they all ended up with leaks from the plastic side tanks. None lasted longer than 3 years.

I don't mind replacing a rad every three years if it's aftermarket price, but when it's OEM price it needs to last one hell of a lot longer.
post #14 of 16 Old 10-12-2017, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
fastblack
2000 WJ 

I think Iíll go with what the local NAPA has to offer. At $155 I could get it cheaper on Rockauto but I will be supporting local business this way. It looks to be the same as the one Iím replacing but Iím ok with that. Would love to put an aluminum one in there but canít justify the price right now. Thanks again for all the replies! I was planning on doing a coolant flush before winter so I guess now is the time eh?

post #15 of 16 Old 10-13-2017, 05:45 AM
Double E
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Right on. Just be ready to repeat the process in 4 years or so. Maybe less depending on flushes and other factors.
When you go to do the swap, be sure to look up my posts for doing this on your 2000. There are a few tips and one really good write up that someone else did ...and I just added supplemental info to.
One tip in particular concerns the toughest part of the job...pulling the old radiator & shroud out. (Fortunately for you, the swap on the 99-2000 is easier than the 01 and up.)

You might also think about removing the trans cooler circuit from the radiator as it is now and using an external unit. Since you're already in there...right? Search my posts for which one to get.
...and since we're talking about being in there, no better time to do the serpentine belt, t-stat, hoses & water pump. I'd hate to learn that one of those went out on you before that radiator needs to be swapped again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.