Radiator differences? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Radiator differences?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-22-2014, 04:56 AM   #16
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples
No. The non-hydro fan 4.7's have a factory trans cooler option that mounts on the passenger side of the radiator. On the driver's side mounted to the front crossmember is a little single row PS cooler. When they made the switch to the hydro fans the external trans cooler was no longer an option on the 4.7 as the new fan setup required the use of a larger PS cooler, which is mounted in the same place as the optional trans cooler on the older 4.7's.
On my 04......the PS cooler is the upper 1/3 of the AC condenser.

86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2014, 06:27 AM   #17
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

I recently added an external trans cooler and removed the radiator-integrated trans cooler unit from the circuit. Easy to install, no issues.
Having the trans fluid run within the radiator to cool it just didn't seem too effective to me.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2014, 08:02 AM   #18
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double E
I recently added an external trans cooler and removed the radiator-integrated trans cooler unit from the circuit. Easy to install, no issues. Having the trans fluid run within the radiator to cool it just didn't seem too effective to me.
Were you monitoring your trans temps before to know its effective and what's the difference with the external only cooler.
Unread 07-22-2014, 08:07 AM   #19
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L View Post
On my 04......the PS cooler is the upper 1/3 of the AC condenser.
For some reason I thought that was a 4.0 specific thing in '04.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double E View Post
I recently added an external trans cooler and removed the radiator-integrated trans cooler unit from the circuit. Easy to install, no issues.
Having the trans fluid run within the radiator to cool it just didn't seem too effective to me.
I think it's more for keeping fluid temps consistent rather than maximum cooling. That being said, most quality external coolers have internal bypasses to reduce cooling when the fluid drops below a certain temp.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2014, 09:55 AM   #20
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples
For some reason I thought that was a 4.0 specific thing in '04. I think it's more for keeping fluid temps consistent rather than maximum cooling. That being said, most quality external coolers have internal bypasses to reduce cooling when the fluid drops below a certain temp.
4.7l with the hydro cooling fan.
Unread 07-22-2014, 10:16 AM   #21
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L View Post
4.7l with the hydro cooling fan.
Huh, well, learn something new everyday.

Unread 07-22-2014, 01:42 PM   #22
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

No.. I was not monitoring the trans temp. I cant get that to appear on my cheap scan tool. I'm not 100% that it's any cooler but the cooler now being in the grill separate and before the radiator is a more comforting arrangement.
It is a B&M unit. Mine has no internal valve to ensure it is up to temp but perhaps there is one further towards the trans or before the lines exit the trans? In my climate, I'm not concerned about that particular feature anyway.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Unread 07-22-2014, 02:27 PM   #23
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double E View Post
It is a B&M unit. Mine has no internal valve to ensure it is up to temp but perhaps there is one further towards the trans or before the lines exit the trans? In my climate, I'm not concerned about that particular feature anyway.
I installed the B&M 70268 in our '03. Here's the product description:

Quote:
Adding this B&M SuperCooler keeps the ATF and transmission cooler, and keeping a vehicle's transmission cool is essential for dependability, especially in performance applications. The unit is designed to be very efficient for its size and weight, to cool much better than an ordinary 'fin and tube' cooler, and to reduce the risk of lube system failure. Using fluxless, oven brazed construction for vibration resistance, it is built out of lightweight aluminum alloy and features a revolutionary 'stacked plate' design with multiple oil flow paths. The unit monitors resistance to flow by allowing a controlled amount of ATF to pass through a self-regulating orifice. Controlled by viscosity, thicker ATF is returned directly to lube through two bypass openings in the stacked plate core, while thinner ATF is directed through the core to cool as operating temperatures increase.
I imagine most, if not all, of their coolers offer this feature.

Unread 07-22-2014, 03:30 PM   #24
volvite
1999 WJ 

Anyone use the spectra radiator sold by Autozone? $150 with a lifetime warranty.
volvite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2014, 11:22 PM   #25
2ndhandWJman
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvite View Post
Anyone use the spectra radiator sold by Autozone? $150 with a lifetime warranty.
I personally wouldn't install anything from that parts chain. Check around and find a commercial supplier that sells to commercial garages. You will get a better quality part for around the same price.
2ndhandWJman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2014, 01:51 AM   #26
JPugh
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndhandWJman View Post
I personally wouldn't install anything from that parts chain. Check around and find a commercial supplier that sells to commercial garages. You will get a better quality part for around the same price.
You mean like AutoZone? Commercial sales are how they make the large majority of their money, they even supply parts sometimes to dealerships

Now having said that a lot of parts house parts are cheap ****. But then again a lot of them are OEM suppliers. I feel like it's always hard to tell what you're getting.

John
JPugh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2014, 05:42 AM   #27
4North
2004 WJ 

I've used the autozone radiator.
After I swapped out my leaking factory radiator I bent my radiator cross member wheeling. That caused my radiator to weep on the epoxy ends and I was able to get it replaced for free under their warranty.
I got a different brand of radiator each time. If that matters
4North is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2014, 06:16 AM   #28
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Correction: This is the one I got... 'Derale 13504 Series 8000 Plate and Fin Transmission Oil Cooler' from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords='Derale+13504+Series+8000+Plate+and+Fin+T ransmission+Oil+Cooler'+&rh=n%3A15684181%2Ck%3A'De rale+13504+Series+8000+Plate+and+Fin+Transmission+ Oil+Cooler'+

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.