Radiator ?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Radiator ??

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 07-17-2013, 12:14 AM   #1
Corey_Jewell
2001 WJ 

Radiator ??

You never know until you ask so here I'm asking
Blew a hole in my radiator overheating the other day in McDonald's drive thru.

My question is; do you have to take the whole grille and bumper off to access the bolts? Or can it be done an easier way?

With this heat and all and not having a garage, I'm tryin to it easy and quickly. Which I know it may not happen but givin it a shot haha

Unread 07-17-2013, 12:27 AM   #2
Jer-Bear
2002 WJ 

No, you definitely do NOT have to do that. I've done mine twice. I have the hydraulic fan. Here's my steps. 1) Remove the top metal support for the headlights. 2) Unbolt the hood grabber thing lol. 3) Unbolt the 4 bolts holding the radiator to the hydraulic fan, 10 mm if I recall correctly. 4) Unscrew the 2 hydraulic fan lines and black rubber hose, then remove the fan and shroud piece. 5) Then slide the radiator out. That's how I did mine. Much easier said than done, but there are a few write ups on here this simple way. Good luck!
Unread 07-17-2013, 12:32 AM   #3
CopperDeer
1999 WJ 

It's easy on the 4.0L. I don't remember exactly what I did but I remember being able to access some bolts through the grille, probably for the condenser. You definitely don't have to remove the bumper or grille. The most difficulty I remember having was fighting with the dang fan shroud haha.
CopperDeer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 12:35 AM   #4
Jer-Bear
2002 WJ 

Oh, yeah. I forgot to mention you have to unscrew the two radiator mounting bolts.
Unread 07-17-2013, 10:00 AM   #5
madmax

I have a 2000 WJ Laredo with two fans (electric and water pump fans) because of towing package. It's a 4.0L engine.

If you have two fans (electric and water pump), it may be necessary for you to remove the bumper and grille. I have removed the radiator TWICE last month because I forgot to retighten the tranny line male fittings. Removing the bumper/grille isn't that hard, but it'll take you an extra time. Then pull up the A/C condenser (but DO NOT disconnect it). Then you push the radiator forward (toward you) and pull it up - to avoid electric fan hitting the water pump fan while removing the radiator. Don't forget to disconnect the tranny lines and upper/lower hoses before removing the radiator.

Hope it helps.
copy-img_2044.jpg

2007 BMW 335i, Montego Blue with Lemon seats, premium & sport package.

2004 TJ Sport 4.0L - SOLD :(
madmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 12:26 PM   #6
n8man1068
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperDeer View Post
The most difficulty I remember having was fighting with the dang fan shroud haha.
It's such a PITA to get the driver side lower bolt out, that I had the shop pull it out for me the last time it was in service, and just leave it in my cup holder.
03 WJ IRO 3" lift, DT8000 shocks, Addco swaybars, JKS quick disconnects, IRO xfer skid, IRO adc control arms, Rola roof rack, Uniden 510xl+firestick 2, K&N drop in filter, Cragar soft 8's, Hankook Dynapro ATM/RF10tires
n8man1068 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 01:07 PM   #7
04dubjay

I used a brand new radiator designed for a 4.7 and all you have to do is cut off two useless brackets with a hack saw and it slides right in. Ez upgrade.
Unread 07-17-2013, 02:13 PM   #8
pinky2252s
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer-Bear View Post
No, you definitely do NOT have to do that. I've done mine twice. I have the hydraulic fan. Here's my steps. 1) Remove the top metal support for the headlights. 2) Unbolt the hood grabber thing lol. 3) Unbolt the 4 bolts holding the radiator to the hydraulic fan, 10 mm if I recall correctly. 4) Unscrew the 2 hydraulic fan lines and black rubber hose, then remove the fan and shroud piece. 5) Then slide the radiator out. That's how I did mine. Much easier said than done, but there are a few write ups on here this simple way. Good luck!
Is that really all it takes? (besides disconnecting the mounting bolts)

I'm gonna have to do mine soon

Colorado Jeep Club Member #2252
2001 Laredo, 2004 Special Edition
pinky2252s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 02:23 PM   #9
madmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky2252s View Post
Is that really all it takes? (besides disconnecting the mounting bolts)

I'm gonna have to do mine soon

I don't know why some people call it "hydraulic fan" but it isn't powered by hydraulic fan. I call it "water pump fan" because the fan blades are bolted directly to the water pump. The Jeep's service manual book calls it "viscous fan". I still don't get it when people call it "hydraulic fan".

I just googled "hydraulic fan". To my surprise, yes, those "hydraulic fan" do run by hydraulic fluid. Not many cars and trucks use them. I don't believe that our Jeeps with 4.0L engine have that kind of fan, only electric motor and/or water-pump driven fans.

Anyway, how many fans do you have (just count them between the radiator and the engine)? Mine has two - electric and water pump.

If you have only one fan, you're lucky. It'll be pretty easy for you to remove the radiator.

Good luck.

2007 BMW 335i, Montego Blue with Lemon seats, premium & sport package.

2004 TJ Sport 4.0L - SOLD :(
madmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 02:35 PM   #10
pinky2252s
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax View Post
I don't know why some people call it "hydraulic fan" but it isn't powered by hydraulic fan. I call it "water pump fan" because the fan blades are bolted directly to the water pump. The Jeep's service manual book calls it "viscous fan". I still don't get it when people call it "hydraulic fan".

I just googled "hydraulic fan". To my surprise, yes, those "hydraulic fan" do run by hydraulic fluid. Not many cars and trucks use them. I don't believe that our Jeeps with 4.0L engine have that kind of fan, only electric motor and/or water-pump driven fans.

Anyway, how many fans do you have (just count them between the radiator and the engine)? Mine has two - electric and water pump.

If you have only one fan, you're lucky. It'll be pretty easy for you to remove the radiator.

Good luck.
Well the reason I asked him was because he has the same fan with the same engine. I have the power steering pump driven "hydraulic" fan. Like most V8's.

But yeah I only have one fan. I was hoping to knock it out in a couple hours today. I parked in a parking lot and she was dripping from the corner of the radiator with no leaks above it.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #2252
2001 Laredo, 2004 Special Edition
pinky2252s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 04:46 PM   #11
Jer-Bear
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax View Post

Good luck.
The fan with lines coming off of the power steering pump is indeed hydraulic my friend. Got a better name for it? That doesn't change what it does.
Unread 07-18-2013, 12:06 AM   #12
Corey_Jewell
2001 WJ 

Sorry everyone I hadn't been able to comment here lately. Been huntin jobs and finishin up my coal mining classes so I can get in the mines. Using the girlfriends car for all that haha

Anyways yes it is a 4.0. And the only fan that I have seen when I checked it out couple nights ago was the electric fan. My jeep didnt come with the tow package but it does have an aftermarket hitch and all from the u-haul. (Used to be a rental ride when it was first owned out of Georgia I think).

You figure after 4 owners before me, someone would have upgraded some cooling??? Also when I flushed the radiator out the other night there was mud and dirt and other crap inside of it. But surprisingly nothing came out of the block or anything which I thought was weird?

So after all the flushing and all and making sure the water was clear as day. I started to putting everything back on and thought it was just a hose. No big deal right?

But I do have a hole in it somewhere on the driver side so I will pull it out and run to the JY to get one if I can't patch it until I get a job

Btw what would the difference in the 4.7 one an the 4.0 be? I have a JY like 2 miles down the road that has a 4.7 wj and I could get that for free of anything!
Unread 07-24-2013, 12:30 AM   #13
Corey_Jewell
2001 WJ 

Workin on the jeep late tonight. All by my self and no garage. Had to wait til the rain stopped too.

image-43876372.jpg

And after taking everythin off and lookin around I found my leak source

image-1912071588.jpg

About a foot, give or take, crack down the inlet side of the radiator Any suggestions on temp fixing until payday or just get a whole new rad?
Unread 07-24-2013, 12:55 PM   #14
1ATony
Vendor
1997 ZJ 

We carry radiator fans over here with free shipping in the lower 48. We have 4 grands in my family, last year I replaced three of them...lol

Anyway here's a link to them on our website if anyone needs to check on prices. Jeep Grand Cherokee Radiator

Click Here^^ For a Great Selection Of Auto Repair Parts
CALL TOLL FREE 866-403-3393
1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 01:15 PM   #15
4Tom
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey_Jewell View Post

About a foot, give or take, crack down the inlet side of the radiator Any suggestions on temp fixing until payday or just get a whole new rad?
There isn't really a temp fix, you can try using fillers on out side but they wont last.

dont waste your money on any stop leak products added to the coolant. They will cause more problems than they solve.

Best option is replace the radiator.
Also good opportunity to flush and refill the coolant system.

1ATony has radiator listed at $119 dollars including shipping.

Tom
4Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.