Quick brake question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Quick brake question

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Steinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 04-27-2011, 07:13 PM   #1
inlinegrand6
2001 WJ 

Quick brake question

Hi guys I have a wj and fear that I may have to do the akebono calipers soon. What I would like to know is that for all the guys who had teves and swapped for akebono did all your problems go away?? Including warped or heated rotors? Just want to be sure before I fork out the money? Thanks!

inlinegrand6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2011, 07:19 PM   #2
malibubts
2002 WJ 

I can't answer about the results as I just ordered my parts, but send Kolak a PM. He has been running a special on Stillen pads and rotors and he can get you the Akebono kit.
malibubts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2011, 07:35 PM   #3
4Tom
2001 WJ 

fitted akebono kit and new rotors 1 month ago
so far no problems

see http://www.wjjeeps.com/brakes.htm for info.
4Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2011, 06:18 AM   #4
RedlegWJ
1999 WJ 

Yes, they are also easier to service. You won't notice a lot of extra braking, but it does seem to help against over heating. Can't say for certain it works, but another thing I like to do on longer drives or hard breaking is to stop a little short at a light, and creep forward a little so the pads aren't locked on one spot long making a hot spot on the rotor.
RedlegWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2011, 06:14 AM   #5
pdpunome
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

how do i know if i have the akebonos or not?
pdpunome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2011, 07:15 AM   #6
RedlegWJ
1999 WJ 

Teves will have the external wire spring like the rear.
RedlegWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2011, 07:20 AM   #7
mattmc74
1999 WJ 

I have a 99 and I have never had any problems with my front brakes warping rotors or even eatting brake pads! I just put on new rotors and pads this last set off and it was 4 years on the old ones. I don't know maybe I got lucky.
mattmc74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2011, 11:29 AM   #8
malibubts
2002 WJ 

Here is a picture of the two side by side. The Akebono is on the left.

@show: And it seems like it's hit or miss issue, some people have issues with them and some never do. If you bought it used it could have been done under warranty before you purchased it.
wj_caliper2-medium-.jpg  
malibubts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2011, 12:34 PM   #9
indept
2000 WJ 

Did the Akebono's in Feb '10. Resurfaced the old rotors when I did it. Over 1 year & still no problems. Before with the Teves, I would have warping within a couple months after new brakes & rotors.
Unread 04-30-2011, 01:30 PM   #10
Kolak
Vendor

The Teves calipers are overly flexible even when new. Notice the big stiffening bar on the silver Akebono calipers. This keeps the calipers from twisting, resulting in better pad contact during braking. The Teves calipers get worse as they age and the caliper slides get in a bind. The result is rotor hot-spotting and pedal pulsation due to the thickness variation the develops in the rotors.
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2011, 05:48 PM   #11
mattmc74
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak View Post
The Teves calipers are overly flexible even when new. Notice the big stiffening bar on the silver Akebono calipers. This keeps the calipers from twisting, resulting in better pad contact during braking. The Teves calipers get worse as they age and the caliper slides get in a bind. The result is rotor hot-spotting and pedal pulsation due to the thickness variation the develops in the rotors.
This is good to know! I will keep an eye on mine and upgrade when I need to. Thanks for the info.
mattmc74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.