quick brake pulsing Q - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > quick brake pulsing Q

New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery MountsComplete Axle Options Expanded !!!! ECGSNEW Smittybilt Gen 2 9.5 winch at JeepHut.com

Unread 05-19-2013, 08:02 AM   #16
lafacej
2004 WJ 

I also have the pulsing through the steering wheel, I know the rotors are probably warped. Do I need to replace the rotors and the calipers to keep it from happening again?

lafacej is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 09:56 AM   #17
SuperStew11
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafacej
I also have the pulsing through the steering wheel, I know the rotors are probably warped. Do I need to replace the rotors and the calipers to keep it from happening again?
Rotors for sure if they are warped, shouldn't have to replace calipers. Rotors sometimes warp cuz they want to or if the brakes are slammed on a lot you can get build up on the rotors from the pads
SuperStew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 10:21 AM   #18
Merc1973
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperStew11 View Post
Rotors for sure if they are warped, shouldn't have to replace calipers. Rotors sometimes warp cuz they want to or if the brakes are slammed on a lot you can get build up on the rotors from the pads
Also make sure the caliper slides move freely and are greased.

Runout is also a major cause of pulsation.

Warping rotors is almost impossible since the casting temps for rotors is about 3x as hot as the hottest during severe braking. It is said they will crack before they warp...

Another cause of pulsation can be if the surface where hub mates to the rotor is not flush. Dont forget uneven lug nut torque...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Merc1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 11:05 AM   #19
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

x2 Not properly torquing lug nuts is a very common reason for rotors warping. Braking hard a lot on new rotors can also cause them to warp if you don't give them time to brake in from what I've been told for years from several sources. New brakes I always take ti easy on them for the frist several hundred km's. Unless they're actually defective, or torquing is wrong, I've not had issues.

Strange problem I've been having is I get what seems like badly warp rotors is when I break at highway speeds (100km or so) Slower speeds nothing, and anything above 80km I get vibes on and off. Upper control arms were replaced but lowers still remain to do, and drivers side is bad. (UCA boot on drivers side had a 1/2" split in the rubber across, not from center out) I'm thinking it's the lowers being bad and mimicing warped rotors now that the uppers have bee replaced, and the lowers have soft/worn bushings. The difference is with warped rotors you can notice them at much lower speeds. when braking on the hard side.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 12:49 PM   #20
SuperStew11
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc1973

Also make sure the caliper slides move freely and are greased.

Runout is also a major cause of pulsation.

Warping rotors is almost impossible since the casting temps for rotors is about 3x as hot as the hottest during severe braking. It is said they will crack before they warp...

Another cause of pulsation can be if the surface where hub mates to the rotor is not flush. Dont forget uneven lug nut torque...
Just greased my sliders, doesn't seem to have fixed it but noticed my inside pad is half gone on my driver's side caliper and they are only a month old

Any chance that was from the sliders? and do you think with a little time they will wear evenly or should I look at new pads for that side?
Unread 05-19-2013, 01:23 PM   #21
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

It could be the sliders, or th piston is seizing. Just had my one caliper sliders greased. Was getting on and off pulling to the right. Figured either the caliper on it's way out or the sliders. One wasn't sliding well, but didn't show signs of bad wear on them. Greased them up and are working fine so far.

What you're describing is what happened to my rear caliper. One side was worn compared to the other. Started to smell bad as it totally seized up. Got if fixed right away. Had to replace the caliper. Would suggest check the caliper is working ok and replace the pads.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
Unread 05-19-2013, 01:27 PM   #22
RIPNBST
2004 WJ 

If one is half gone look at replacing them.
RIPNBST is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 03:17 PM   #23
SuperStew11
2000 WJ 

One more tidbit, the front brake is making a clicking sound every time it pulses, could that be the caliper all screwed up?
Unread 05-19-2013, 06:02 PM   #24
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Would definitely get it them check out to make sure everything is working ok. Clicking just may be the dust shield or something rubbing, but you never know.

Unread 05-22-2013, 11:10 AM   #25
SuperStew11
2000 WJ 

YouTube (Short URL)
?start=" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

Here is a quick video of the clicking noise have to turn up the volume a bit, just put a brand new caliper on, starting to think now it mite be the wheel bearing which is a piss off because I just replaced it not to long ago
Unread 05-22-2013, 11:41 PM   #26
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Think your link got messed up there a bit.

Anything possibly rubbing on the dust shield? Never hurts to check the wheel bearing. How's the CV joints?

Unread 05-23-2013, 12:22 AM   #27
SuperStew11
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cykaaro
Think your link got messed up there a bit.

Anything possibly rubbing on the dust shield? Never hurts to check the wheel bearing. How's the CV joints?
Ya link only seems to work on my phone app :S

Every thing seems solid, no play in anything and nothing seems to be rubbing, my next guess is the wheel bearing( but turning it by hand I don't hear anything wrong with it)

And nothing out the ordinary with the CV quiet as can be when turning(which is usually when you can tell they are going)
Unread 05-23-2013, 12:25 AM   #28
SuperStew11
2000 WJ 

Here's another shot at the video link

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.