JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/)
-   -   quick brake pulsing Q (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/quick-brake-pulsing-q-1326696/)

jeepvsgti 02-09-2012 04:21 PM

quick brake pulsing Q

OK. so i am sure its warped rotors, but i was assuming it was the fronts, since the early wj's have so many issues with the fronts. figured id let it go till it got real bad since they were probably just going to do it again... then i saw this post in another thread:
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeep04 (Post 12987550)
Front rotors are normally the cause of the steering wheel shaking while braking, the rear rotors you would feel in the brake pedal more so then the steering wheel.

how reliable of a diagnosis is this? because my pulse is strictly through the brake pedal. 0 steering shake.

would like to figure this out before i haul a trailer next weekend. any other way to be sure which it is?

sfjacks1 02-09-2012 05:14 PM

if the pulsing is in the brake pedal and there is no shaking from the sterring wheel when braking, then your rear rotors is where i would start. don't bother turning them, just replace them, they are inexpensive enough..

USMCBehrensDVLD 02-09-2012 05:18 PM

id say rear too because i had front warped rotors and the steering wheel shook like a mother ******.

jeepvsgti 02-10-2012 06:21 AM

hmm. that sounds awesome. tossing on some new rear rotors is a lot easier than addressing the crappy front brake setup. thanks.

jeepvsgti 02-13-2012 08:08 AM

hmm. saw on a misc forum that pulling the ebrake a bit will diagnose it. since it only engages the rear brakes, if it still shakes, its the rear, if not, its the front.

any truth to this? when i pull the ebrake lightly, it doesnt pulse. seems kind of hit or miss. like a way to confirm its the rear brakes, if it does pulse... but if it doesnt pulse it could still be the rear?

think ill pull the rear rotors this week and see if the problem goes away. if it doesnt, on to the next step.

Double E 02-13-2012 09:44 AM

I believe the e-brake actually uses an internal-to-the-rotor, shoe-type of system that is not dependent on the hydraulic system. Ergo, the warping may not appear in use of the e-brake system.

SuperStew11 04-30-2013 06:31 PM

Ok so I'm having the same problem with mine, just replaced the front Disks and seems to have helped a bit but still pulsing. When going into in reverse I can't seem to notice the pulse as much also notice I have a slight leak in my long brake line to the rear brakes any chance that could have something to do with it?

lazyWJ 04-30-2013 07:33 PM

My brakes pulse, but I don't feel it through the steering wheel OR the brake pedal. You only feel it in the uneven brake force, especially just coming to a stop. I can't get my head around what that might be. New teves on the front (pads, calipers, rotors) and whatever old junk on the back that probably needs replacing. Anyone ever run into this?

brianestep 04-30-2013 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lazyWJ (Post 15371165)
My brakes pulse, but I don't feel it through the steering wheel OR the brake pedal. You only feel it in the uneven brake force, especially just coming to a stop. I can't get my head around what that might be. New teves on the front (pads, calipers, rotors) and whatever old junk on the back that probably needs replacing. Anyone ever run into this?

Dirty fluid = bad pressure?

SuperStew11 04-30-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianestep

Dirty fluid = bad pressure?

I could see that, depends on how squishy his peddle,

Robertc2012 05-01-2013 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lazyWJ (Post 15371165)

Did you replace the flexible hose at the caliper.
When old they become restricted not allowing free fluid movement.

lazyWJ 05-01-2013 09:26 AM

Pedal feels firm,and no changes in feel or feedback when it's pulsing. I don't know how much fluid was bled through because I didn't do the brakes myself, so it could be dirty. It just feels like there's a sticky spot on the rotor or something that "drags" when slowing down. Seems to be worse when brakes are hot (city driving), so I'm going to check for sticky calipers and probably replace the rears anyway. Not a serious issue, just an annoyance.

Robertc2012 05-01-2013 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robertc2012 (Post 15372878)
Did you replace the flexible hose at the caliper.
When old they become restricted not allowing free fluid movement.

Have you checked this.

lazyWJ 05-01-2013 12:24 PM

Flex hoses haven't been replaced since I've owned the jeep for sure, probably original. They bled OK though, no restrictions. I've had bad brake hoses and they've never caused pulsing.

SuperStew11 05-19-2013 07:03 AM

So I replaced my front routers and brakes are still pulsing and getting a bad clicking sound from them too, Anybody have this problem and know what it is?

The time now is 05:50 AM.