Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Questions on drivetrain swap

634 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Mudder_Trucker 
#1 ·
Hey guys. its been a while since i been around here, ive been way to busy with work.

Long story short, i let my girlfriend drive my Jeep and she totaled it. I had a 1999 WJ with a 3" lift, wheels, tires, head and tail lights, rebuilt 4.0, etc.

Now, i need another WJ. Im going crazy without it. Ive been looking at some that need motors and i found one i like. Heres the catch... I did a little research to see what this entails, but i want to ask people before i pull the trigger.

I had a 1999 4.0 selec trac wj Laredo. I want a limited with a sunroof. I found a 1999 WJ with no motor and no transfer case. It HAD a 4.7 and a Quadra-Trac T case i believe. What all would i need to swap my motor, tranny, t case into the Limited? I think i need engine, harness, computer, tranny, shifter bezel (for T case) My concerns are in the axles and driveshafts. my front axles in my WJ is junk. she bent the knuckle when she wrecked.

Anything im missing? gotta worry about? Oh, and my WJ has the rezeppa-rezeppa front DS. idk if the limited does or not. I know theyre different lengths, but if im using all my driveline, is it a problem?

See less See more
#2 ·
If you are trying to swap your 4.0 into the 4.7 ready Grand, then just stop there. Not worth the time, money, or effort. There is a reason people do not do this swap as it is too complicated and just not worth it. Find a (IMHO) a solid WJ with everything working and go from there. Save yourself the trouble my friend.

#3 ·
thats exactly what i was looking at. i saw a thread with pics but there wasnt really much information about it. I thought about it because i found the exact WJ i want, for 600 bucks needing a motor and transfer case. Which is fine, i didnt want a 4.7 or Quadra-Trac II anyways. I dont want a 4.7 because i have a rebuilt a 4.0 that i built myself. Im having a hard time finding the WJ i want with a bad 4.0. thats why i had the idea.

#6 ·
ill swap it if i gotta. no big deal. rather just get a whole new body and suspension. Found a 02 Limited with a 4.7 that has a knock in it, i was told it could be lifters or timing chain tensioner, so i might go look at it. 152k miles for $1500. all leather, AWD, cd changer, no rust, nice lookin Jeep.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.