Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Question on rust repair

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Bob T 
#1 ·
This WJ came from up north so there are some rust on it. The worst spot is just under the right rear door. In looking at it closely it looks like there is foam in between the top piece of metal and the bottom piece of metal.
SO can I just scrape all that out and the try and weld a piece into it. I have never seen foam used like that.
Bob T:confused:

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
What is the purpose of the foam, seriously? sound deadening or what?

Cut it all out if you can, coat the new metal with weld through primer then attack it with Dinitrol - Great stuff. Also if you can get a hold of Epoxy 121 and apply liberally and you should be good for another 14 years or so..

Bob - go looking in a scrapper for the same part and cut a large piece out, then weld and dress in, save you half the battle.. done this a couple of times with great success..

#8 ·
Yes the paint was a little pricey but worth it. I got 1 12 oz can specially mix for about $19.99 and the shipping was $9.00. It was base coat only and then I put clear coat on it. I also undercoated under the fender real good. I have a very small bubble forming on the other side.
Bob T

#10 ·
No this was with a spray can. I have done some paint work before. This was small and the spay can nozzle was good. This co is called Automotive Touchup. I could have got just the paint but this way it is already mixed ready to go. This is a cj5 that I painted.
Bob T

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.