Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Question re: Dana Hydra Lok/Vari Lok Diff.

8K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Planetcat 
#1 ·
Ok, so I've been on this kick to replace my open D44A axles and differential with the Quadradrive setup (Dana Hydra Lok or Jeep Vari Lok differential). Rear only, as I have a Detroit True Trac in front which is awesome. Anyways, I don't want a locker for various reasons, but seems like most opinions on QD are positive. New the units are about $900, used cheaper but hard to find as I don't have an JY around. I've found some cheaper Hydra Lok diffs for the D44A made by Crown and by Omix-Ada. It seems unlikely to me that these companies could/would actually manufacture this complex limited slip device.

My questions are:
1. Are these Dana Spicer units just rebranded for Omix and Crown? If so, then I'd get one.

2. If they are actually made by these aftermarket companies, does anyone have an opinion on whether they're as good as the original Dana ones?

I really don't want to go to all the trouble to buy new axles shafts and install if it's a POS. Thanks in advance.

#4 ·
Sure. I'm trying to find a vari lok diff for under $700 but am having a hard time and the few that are out there are back ordered from the warehouse. I will hit up the few local junk yards next week. If I find one, I'll pm you when/if I do.

#7 ·
Before I figured out some good places for parts online, I had to order bearings and stuff for my CJ from the dealership. The OEM replacement parts were all from Crown. Don't know if that helps or not.

#9 ·
Yeah, I planned on those too. I finally talked to a couple of vendors that although they can't get the Crown ones due to back orders, they all said that they are branded as Dana, so that makes me feel better about it. Seems like some of the web sites put Omix and Crown as the manufacturer, but they're really just the distributor. Still having a hard time finding one in stock though. I might just double tick off the wife and get the $700 one, but have to give the JY a try first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.