Question for the Quadra Drive guys - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Question for the Quadra Drive guys

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-04-2013, 09:01 PM   #1
AIRBORNE
2000 WJ 

Question for the Quadra Drive guys

I have only maybe logged 100 miles with the GC Limited I bought. I noticed the other day when I mashed the gas it threw gravels with the rear wheels. I looked at the tracks in the gravels and it appeared the rear passenger only spun. I was concerned the AWD isn't working correctly. So I put in the grass and tried the same thing. Could not get a "burnout" mark with the rear wheel again. I have only driven two AWD vehicles ever. How long does it take for the Quadra Drive to engage. Is there a better way to test it? The main reason I bought this vehicle is to drive in the snow. Any advice would be appreciated.

AIRBORNE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 09:14 PM   #2
lazyWJ
2002 WJ 

I've never mashed the gas in my jeep. Is it fun? Mine costs me enough already, I don't want to antagonize it. There is a small delay in the transfer case reaction, but not much. The standard advice seems to be to replace the tcase fluid to make sure the type and quantity is correct. If you can get into some mud it should be easier to tell if it's working properly.
"Bought, Not Built"
lazyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 09:40 PM   #3
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Is it actually Quadra-Drive, or Quadra-Tech II ? If the latter, only one wheel per axle will spin, but once the rear spun enough, the front should engage.

There are plenty of Jeep guys in Morgantown if you want any assistance. You can find most of them on www.jeepinwv.com

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 11:49 PM   #4
MuddyWJ
2004 WJ 

I loved my QD in the snow but it worked flawlessly. I tested it by putting it on a lift and the rear wheels spun for about a 1 second before front kicked in. Like lazy said change your fluid and cross fingers.
MuddyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 05:31 AM   #5
AIRBORNE
2000 WJ 

It's a Quadra Drive. Like I said, in the grass it felt like the front wheels pulled too and could not see where the rear spun out, but in the gravels it didn't look like the front wheels spun.
My Jeep didn't come with owners manual. Where's the guide for what type of fluid to put back into it?
AIRBORNE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 08:56 AM   #6
MuddyWJ
2004 WJ 

Dealer only NV247 fluid!
MuddyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 09:29 AM   #7
javis4x4
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyWJ
Dealer only NV247 fluid!
And friction additive too.
javis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 09:35 AM   #8
USFORCES
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by javis4x4 View Post
And friction additive too.
Friction additive? Only place you use friction additive is in the rear axle.
Unread 06-05-2013, 09:40 AM   #9
ezflip
NEWS FLASH It snows in MI

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by USFORCES View Post
Friction additive? Only place you use friction additive is in the rear axle.
Actually, both front and rear axles. But definitely NOT the transfer case.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 09:54 AM   #10
javis4x4
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezflip

Actually, both front and rear axles. But definitely NOT the transfer case.
Why not the TC ? if both axles and TC have the clutches that detect slippage and that's how the system transfers power.
Unread 06-05-2013, 10:53 AM   #11
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Because you don't ....that why! Axles only unless you want to Donald Duck your transfer case!

Nowhere if the FSM does it say to put FM in the tc.
Unread 06-05-2013, 11:07 AM   #12
Schlotzky
2007 XK Commander 

To the OP; it's a good idea to change the diff and transfer case fluids anyway if you don't know the history of the vehicle, and if you indeed have QuadraDrive and not QuadraTrac, you should be getting pretty good power transfer from side to side--at least in the back. It's possible that the previous owner added too much friction modifier to completely quiet down the moaning you sometimes get on tight, cold turns, but it impedes the function of the differentials. Change out your diff fluid front and rear with synthetic 75w140 and add FM only until the moaning and chattering is tolerable for you (the factory recommendations will eliminate moan and chatter under all conditions once the diffs are warmed up, and allow a bit of moan when they're still cold on full-lock turns). The less you add, in theory, the better the diffs will lock when you ask them to. Change the transfer case with the dealer fluid if for no other reason than preventative maintenance. It's advised to be changed a whole lot more than your average used car owner would change it (every 30k miles).
Schlotzky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #13
Zimboo22
2004 WJ 

I thought you only put Limited Slip in the front, am I wrong on that one?
Zimboo22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 11:23 AM   #14
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

If you have varilock differentials front and rear, you need to add FM front and rear. The factory spec is 2.5 fl oz front, and 4.0 fl oz rear of Mopar Friction Modifier. I use ONLY MOPAR friction modifier in my diffs, and MOPAR ONLY t-case fluid in the 247 and have good results at 135K on the clock, running 35 inch tires for over half of those miles.
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 11:37 AM   #15
javis4x4
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85IrocZ-28
If you have varilock differentials front and rear, you need to add FM front and rear. The factory spec is 2.5 fl oz front, and 4.0 fl oz rear of Mopar Friction Modifier. I use ONLY MOPAR friction modifier in my diffs, and MOPAR ONLY t-case fluid in the 247 and have good results at 135K on the clock, running 35 inch tires for over half of those miles.
How do your verilocks work with 35 inch tires, I had read that the biggest tire to run with verilocks is a 31in and 32in @ the biggest ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.