Question about steering wheel.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Question about steering wheel....

Custom Axle Work at CCORRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Swag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 03-15-2010, 04:28 PM   #1
kwb18
2011 WK 

Question about steering wheel....

I put on a new SS and my wheel was a little off center to the right. I needed an alignment anyways so I took it to a shop. They told me that the adjusting sleeve was stripped. ??? And pretty much just walked me out the door. So I get back in my Jeep and now the wheel is completely off center to the left. Now I'm confused with the shop.

I know there is a way you can adjust the wheel. I read on here it's the drag link? I loosened up the two clamps and attempted to turn it by hand and it's not budging. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I heard it's suppose to turn by hand and you don't need much turning to get the wheel back. So what am I doing wrong? Thanks guys!

kwb18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 04:32 PM   #2
sdowney717
1998 ZJ 

it better not be stripped.
If you drive it and it is stripped, it might come apart.

Yes you turn the drag link sleeve to center the wheel. If it is clean and greased, you can turn it by hand.

I never seen one stripped yet.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 04:37 PM   #3
kwb18
2011 WK 

Well the funny thing is they put on a new TRE at the pitman arm and that seemed completely fine. I just don't see how if it was stripped how they would get that tre on and then why would my wheel be off to the other side? I honestly just don't think the shop knew what they were doing or they were just in a hurry.

Do I just get a pipe wrench and loosen up those clamps and twist it until it's back to center?
kwb18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2010, 05:39 AM   #4
sdowney717
1998 ZJ 

yes, you can turn it with any tool you can imagine will work.
I would spray it with some pb blaster if it is rusty.
Also, I tend to take things like this apart and put grease on them so they dont ever get stuck. Simply unscrew it somewhat and grease it up, fill the slot with grease, etc...then screw it back down to center the wheel.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.