Question about HID projector headlights - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Question about HID projector headlights

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-Load

Unread 08-27-2014, 02:54 AM   #1
ehksohset
2004 WJ 

Question Question about HID projector headlights

Greetings,

I've been a long time lurker, and first time poster. I have an 04 WJ Overland, and I've been doing a lot of research in preparation of upgrading my stock headlights (they don't hold aim well, and stuck aimed too low).

I've decided that I'd like to go the HID route (and yes, my goal is to set it up correctly with proper projectors so that I don't blind others). The plan is to go with some 35W 9006 4300k (or 5000k?) HIDs.

I'm not really interested in going the retrofit route, and don't wish to make this a huge project. Therefore, I have been looking at aftermarket headlights. One thing I am not clear on (after rediculous amounts of reading) is how to figure out what headlights are using halogen projectors vs. HID projectors.

I am interested in getting a set of black CCFL halos, as they seem the least obnoxious looking to me from available aftermarket options:
http://www.spyderauto.com/product.ph...FL-BK&t=spyder

Is it correct (and non-******baggish) to use HIDs with those projectors? My concern is that I think these might be using halogen projectors, when I'd like to utilize HID projectors for the low beams. Can anyone confirm?

Are there any aftermarket headlight options for our rigs that come with HID projectors for the low beams? I plan to run regular halogens in the high beams (which are 9005.. would HIRs work there, too?)

Thank you in advance. These seem to be answers I haven't been able to find a reliable answer to after hours of reading, and therefore I wish to defer to your collective expertise.

ehksohset is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2014, 03:38 AM   #2
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

I'm not sure there are any after market lights that come with hid projectors....all halogen. Much better than stock housings but not as good as retro fit.
Unread 08-27-2014, 04:29 AM   #3
Darnice
2004 WJ 

No, it says right on those lights "Not HID Compatable" Halogen only. Some prople put HIDS in them, but you say you want to go the correct route.
Darnice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2014, 07:46 AM   #4
ehksohset
2004 WJ 

So what are the options? This is where my knowledge starts to taper off sharply.

Could anyone recommend some quality HID projectors that might fit the headlights above?

Last edited by ehksohset; 08-27-2014 at 07:57 AM..
Unread 08-29-2014, 08:45 AM   #5
BrianBSHS
2004 WJ 

Only way to get HID projectors is to retrofit them yourself. That said, I ran those headlights you posted with 55w 5000k HIDs for 6 years and never got flashed once. They never melted and when I sold it the cut off was just as crisp as the day I bought them. I'm sure you'll get a couple butthurt individuals telling you not to do it, but at the end of the day, you're putting an HID in a projector. No way it's not going to work. and that's based off experience, not some guy on the internet.
BrianBSHS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2014, 03:39 AM   #6
ItsAJeeper

For the price of a set of headlights you can buy morimoto MH1 projectors, a hid kit from DTM tuning and do the retrofit. Once you have opened the headlights, the projectors just go straughtinto the low beam headlight hole. No cutting no glueing.
ItsAJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2014, 09:04 AM   #7
ehksohset
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBSHS View Post
Only way to get HID projectors is to retrofit them yourself. That said, I ran those headlights you posted with 55w 5000k HIDs for 6 years and never got flashed once.
Thank you for the info. What kind of projectors/shrouds did you go with on those headlights? I've come across a good write up or two on retrofitting, but those were in the stock headlight housing. Anything special I might need to be aware of when retrofitting those Spyder housings that might not be covered in those write ups? Any trouble reusing the adhesive when putting those lights back together and keeping a good seal, or might I need to add my own sealant?

So it sounds like I will definitely need to go the retrofit route to do what I want. I already know what HID kit and headlight I want to use. Now I just need to decide on projector and shroud. Is there any other hardware I would need? Relay harness? Stuff to help mount the new projector correctly? Perhaps it might be worth it to go with HIRs for highbeam and fogs?
Unread 08-31-2014, 09:07 AM   #8
ehksohset
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAJeeper View Post
For the price of a set of headlights you can buy morimoto MH1 projectors, a hid kit from DTM tuning and do the retrofit. Once you have opened the headlights, the projectors just go straughtinto the low beam headlight hole. No cutting no glueing.
That sounds super easy. Unfortunately, I will definitely be getting new headlights as well, since my old ones have issues being aimed. Would it be just easy easy with the headlights I linked in my original post? How do the projectors attach exactly? They just fit through the hole in the reflector, and a nut secures it on the backside?
Unread 08-31-2014, 03:38 PM   #9
ItsAJeeper

way harder on the headlight you linked. its actually the headlight i am doing a retrofit on now. Its a lot more involved. ive got to get custom moutning barackets for the projectors cut on a waterjet and hack out the inner housing to fit the shrouds i want. Thats all my own fault really though, as i went FX-R with teh bigger 3" lens and possibly the biggest shrouds vaialble...the Panamera.
if you did your homework and found a projector with roughly the same size (probably not a going to be bi-xenon) then it would be much easier.

but yes. MH1 just has a large nut which threads on the back of the projector and locks it in.
Unread 09-01-2014, 09:41 PM   #10
ehksohset
2004 WJ 

Quote:
way harder on the headlight you linked. its actually the headlight i am doing a retrofit on now. Its a lot more involved. ive got to get custom moutning barackets for the projectors cut on a waterjet and hack out the inner housing to fit the shrouds i want. Thats all my own fault really though, as i went FX-R with teh bigger 3" lens and possibly the biggest shrouds vaialble...the Panamera.
if you did your homework and found a projector with roughly the same size (probably not a going to be bi-xenon) then it would be much easier.

but yes. MH1 just has a large nut which threads on the back of the projector and locks it in.
Well, I was doing just the low beams, so no worries on the bi-xenons. I was planning on keeping halogens for the highs. Since I haven't purchased the headlights yet (and you have), any advice as to what projectors might be compatible and require little work on retrofit with those Spyders?
Unread 09-02-2014, 04:41 AM   #11
ItsAJeeper

if you only want low beam, Hella E55 low beams are your cheapest and best bet i think. but they are D1S which will limit you to using more exspensive OEM bulbs.

but from my rough estimates the Morimoto mini 6.0 would fit perfect, uses a more generic H7 bulb which is available in cheaper HID kits and has the bonus of being a bixenon which will supercharge your high beam.

all of the mentioned is available from www.theretrofitsource.com
Unread 09-02-2014, 11:31 PM   #12
ehksohset
2004 WJ 

Quote:
if you only want low beam, Hella E55 low beams are your cheapest and best bet i think. but they are D1S which will limit you to using more exspensive OEM bulbs.

but from my rough estimates the Morimoto mini 6.0 would fit perfect, uses a more generic H7 bulb which is available in cheaper HID kits and has the bonus of being a bixenon which will supercharge your high beam.

all of the mentioned is available from www.theretrofitsource.com
Thanks for the information! Are these the Morimotos you are referring to?

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/com...l#.VAamlKN0weM

And they would just use an adapter plate to use H7? When you say these look like they would fit perfect.. does that mean no cutting involved, or fabrication of brackets?

Thanks again for all your advice.
Unread 09-03-2014, 03:38 AM   #13
ItsAJeeper

sorry i dont know why i kept saying H7, they are deffinately H1. but yes those are the ones.

you shouldnt need a mounting plate. the headlights have a perfect mounting point any number of projectors. the MH1 should be a perfect being pretty close to the standard projectors size.

so all you will need to complete this conversion will be the projectors, a 35w 5000k H1 hid kit (i suggest DTM tuning for good mix of value/quality) and a HD relay harness (comes as an option from DTM tuning) you should be good to open ya headlights up. oven on to 250f, turn it off then pop a headlight in for 10 minutes, on a wet diish towel so no hot metal touches the housing.
then using an OLD butter knife start prying apart the headlights, start at the tabs
Unread 09-03-2014, 10:41 PM   #14
ehksohset
2004 WJ 

Ah, thanks for the clarification, I am less confused now.

Well, your advice has been super helpful, and I really appreciate the time you took to explain a few things. I feel much more confident about what I'm going to do. I'm going to take a much closer look at those projectors you mentioned, and see what I can come up with. I already have my headlights on order. HID kit and projectors/shrouds should follow soon after I read up more on a couple of things.

Perhaps I will post back about my experience. Thank you again, ItsAJeeper!
Unread 09-03-2014, 11:40 PM   #15
ItsAJeeper

you wont need shrouds. the headlights have built in shrouds

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.