Quadratrac II vs Selectrac - requesting help troubleshooting - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Quadratrac II vs Selectrac - requesting help troubleshooting

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 12-18-2013, 12:38 PM   #1
chipndip829
2001 WJ 

Question Quadratrac II vs Selectrac - requesting help troubleshooting

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased an 01 WJ limited with the 4.7L and Quadra trac II. It has 144k on it. I've been doing a lot of work on the jeep including the heater core, blend door, fluid changes, sensor replacements.

After changing the Tcase with the correct fluid (Mopar NV247 tcase fluid) I went to go test the four wheel drive system. I put it on dirt and slammed the gas and it definitely gets traction. I thought that it was working great, until i got it on snow. The rears spin but the fronts wont. I even had someone stand outside of the car and look. 4lo will let them spin. I do not have a varilok axle.

If I get time I might lift all 4 wheels up and test in drive if the all spin. Is this a good test for the nv247?

So here I am kinda stuck, I'm thinking it is the progressive coupling not engaging. The fluid I took out of the tcase was mopar but it was dark. I have four options.

1.I can try refilling the nv247 with fluid to flush and hopefully shock the pc to coming back to life.

2. I have a junkyard that will give me a 30 day warranty for a used nv247 tcase at $150

3.Swap in a 242HD for $150 and get the driveshaft from the JY and go to the selectrac.

4. Buy a new PC at $400 and replace it.

I mainly drive this as my winter beast in the eastcoast so I need traction in snow, which is why the 247 is great for that.

Onto my questions...

Anyone have any luck shocking a PC into working again by changing the fluid a second time?
or which option and road should I go down to get 4wd working again.

Thanks to all!!

chipndip829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2013, 03:01 PM   #2
xman2yman
2002 WJ 

Sometime can correct me but I think you need quadra-drive for the vari-locs
xman2yman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #3
gold01wj
2000 WJ 

Swap in the 242hd and be done with it. You won't regret it. Especially if you can get it at that price! Yes vari-locks only come with quadradrive
Unread 12-18-2013, 03:13 PM   #4
mycreativename
1999 WJ 

I would jack it all up and put it in drive to see if you can get it to work. Keep in mind that all 4 wheels will not spin with Quadra-Trac II, but as long as one in front and one in rear is then the PC is working.
mycreativename is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2013, 05:41 PM   #5
wjjeep19
2002 WJ 

Go with Selec-Trac
wjjeep19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2013, 05:53 PM   #6
Sinister6
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Had quadra trac 1st gen in my grand Cherokee LOVED it! No over thinking anything just let it work! If I let GF drive in winter didn't have to worry about her not putting it in 4wd or taking it out for some reason.

Friend has the Hemi Commander with quadra trac 2... Now that's she's running snow tires it's an Absolute BEAST in the snow!
Unread 12-18-2013, 07:37 PM   #7
chipndip829
2001 WJ 

How capable is the QT2 offroad. I'm guessing it would be kept in 4lo for most heavy stuff anyways right? What jeeps came with the 242HD? laredo 4.7?
I will jack the car up sunday when I have the day off.
Unread 12-18-2013, 07:47 PM   #8
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipndip829 View Post
How capable is the QT2 offroad. I'm guessing it would be kept in 4lo for most heavy stuff anyways right? What jeeps came with the 242HD? laredo 4.7?
I will jack the car up sunday when I have the day off.
Yup 242HD is behind a 4.7 only. Although some people are trying to see if the Dakota 242HD will work too.

Here is the difference between the two. Also you will need the HD rear driveshaft too since its 32 splice and not 28 like the others.

gcjeeping is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2013, 07:53 PM   #9
WJ_allday04

2004 WJ 

QT2 is a very good off road t-case, i've rarely gotten stuck in either 4hi or lo, keep in mind that i follow a 13in lifted 1980 k30 on 42's. It really depends on the driver and what you prefer. Alot of guys will say the 242 is better, some prefer the 247, its a matter of preference. I do agree though that the QT2 is beast in the snow.
24" light bar//x2 3" duallys//JK steelies//31's

My Build Thread
WJ_allday04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2013, 02:12 PM   #10
mycreativename
1999 WJ 

To be honest, at first I was not a fan of the 247 case, (mostly because of the bru-ha-ha on here about it). But after taking it offroad quite a few times, it has more than proven itself to be capable. The spin-up time of the front wheels is almost negligible, when you need the traction, its there. If I ever have any doubts as to it being able to engage in time, I can just always put it in 4Lo.

I agree that it is fantastic in the snow, especially if anyone else is driving your WJ, such as girlfriend/wife/kids/etc. You don't have to worry about them knowing how to engage 4WD properly, knowing which gear in the TC to use and worry about them getting stuck. My WJ is basically point and shoot when it comes to snow.
Unread 12-20-2013, 10:54 AM   #11
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

My 04 sat for 2weeks sitting on ice crusted snow. I went to move it out into the sun so it can start to melt off the roof and could not get the front axil to engage.

It was around 18 degrees and had been below freezing for at least 2 weeks.

After around 30 sec of rear wheel spinning in reverse it engaged. I tested it the next day and had 4 wheel drive with minimum wheel spin.

It makes me wonder if the gearator can bleed out completely and require the pump to fill up the coupler before it will work.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2013, 06:03 PM   #12
chipndip829
2001 WJ 

Ok so I have an update. I jacked up the car and put it into drive. In 4lo the wheels spin. In 4hi only the front passenger and the two rears spin. Is this correct operation?

P.s. I had a hell of a time lifting up the jeep high enough. Also saw some rust spots I'm not too happy about but thats another thread in itself.
Unread 12-21-2013, 06:42 PM   #13
mycreativename
1999 WJ 

If you have Quadra Trac II (meaning open diffs) then yes that is right. The power will take the path of least resistance in an open diff. Sometimes that means both wheels (as is in your rears) and sometimes that means only one (like in the front).
Unread 12-21-2013, 07:07 PM   #14
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Just know that that is not a true test of torque transfer because there is zero load on the coupler. So any amount of friction will drag the front drive shaft along.

Set ebrake so rear wheels won't spin, have a friend hold a front wheel still and you turn the other. The front wheel should get hard to turn. It should be the same test for the coupler in the transfer case as it is for the variloc in the axil.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2013, 07:17 PM   #15
mycreativename
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L View Post
Just know that that is not a true test of torque transfer because there is zero load on the coupler. So any amount of friction will drag the front drive shaft along.

Set ebrake so rear wheels won't spin, have a friend hold a front wheel still and you turn the other. The front wheel should get hard to turn. It should be the same test for the coupler in the transfer case as it is for the variloc in the axil.
This makes sense, do that! haha

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.