Quadradrive question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Quadradrive question

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-11-2013, 01:07 PM   #1
Bowana
2002 WJ 

Quadradrive question

First post here...I have an 02 Limited with the 4.7 and quadradrive. Four wheel drive is not working in full time, so I'm thinking the coupler is gone. There is also some vibration and slight noise coming from the front end. I jacked the passenger side up off the ground and the tire/wheel spins. Its making some noise in there as well like bearing or gears or something. Question is, being full time 4wd, shouldn't the front not spin if the jeep is in park and the other three tires are on the ground? I'm just trying to figure out what to look for when I get into it. Thanks guys!

Bowana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 02:22 PM   #2
its-me-B
2002 WJ 

the front should spin... its when the rears loose traction then the transfer case sends power to the front. put the whole front end up and then spin the wheel, after a turn or two you should feel some resistance iirc.
Zombie Outbreak Response Unit #396
its-me-B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 03:10 PM   #3
gold01wj
2000 WJ 

It will spin. It's not full time 4x4. It only engages 4x4 when the rear wheels spin. The vibration could be the front driveshaft. if you have the repezza style shaft, and a joint is bad it will vibrate pretty bad.
The dana 30s are also known to have pinion bearing issues as well. Best way to find out is pull the cover and see what's going on in there.
Unread 10-12-2013, 08:03 AM   #4
Bowana
2002 WJ 

When I jacked it up, I couldnt get the drivers side front to spin at at all. the passenger side front would spin but made the noise. When I tried to climb a hill I smoked the rear wheels but the front end never engaged. I put her in low and could go anywhere.
Unread 10-12-2013, 08:30 AM   #5
gold01wj
2000 WJ 

Sounds like the geroter coupling to me. Does it have the right fluid in it? I've read of others on here who have had similar issues and the case was toast. I swapped quadradrive case for a select trac 242 hd. It's an easy swap and if you need to replace your case I'd personally recommend this route. It's a pretty simple, bolt on swap with the right parts. I'd check the fluid level and also maybe try to get a small sample of it, so that you could look for metal or other contaminants.

Here is some reading on the swap if your interested: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...d-swap-510546/
Unread 10-12-2013, 01:12 PM   #6
Bowana
2002 WJ 

Thanks Gold. Its got the correct fluid in it. Prob do the swap if there is a problem with the 247 case.
Unread 10-12-2013, 03:32 PM   #7
gold01wj
2000 WJ 

No problem! I payed 210 for a double cardan front shaft,242 hd case,rear shaft,and the bezel for the 4x4 shifter. If you decide to do the swap look around on Craigslist. I found a few wjs being parted out and just got all the stuff from the same jeep. Narnwvs build thread has some pics of his busted 247. It may be of interest to you. Just search narnwv build thread on this forum and you should be able to find it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.