Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

quadradrive newbie needs help!!

1K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  87thhunter 
#1 ·
hi everyone, this is my first post in the wj forum and i am hoping to learn from you guys!! i did a search but still am unsure about what my issue is. i have a long history with jeeps and off roading, but this is my first encounter with quadradrive. i have a rock solid 99 wj with a 4.0l/242 setup
that i have enjoyed without major problems for a long time, but i also secretly admired the v8 limited wj's with quadradrive so i bought on a couple of weeks ago. after replacing a hub assembly and a brake caliper i took it to try the quadradrive off road and to my dismay the front wheels aren't pulling at all that i can tell. they may have kicked in for a short time once, but i'm not sure. put it in 4lo, still not pulling:confused:
when i got home, i put fresh mopar lube in the transfer case, after finding it practically dry, still not pulling.

it isn't grinding, popping or making any unusual noises. when i did the hub bearing, i do remember being suprised that i could turn the driver's side front wheel with the passenger side on the ground. the driveshaft was turning as well. all the posts that i found relating to this indicated that the 4lo would still work even if 4 hi didn't, but not with mine. any help much appreciated!!

thanks

See less See more
#8 ·
Have you checked the shift cable and shift lever on the outside of the T case to be sure the lever is moving the lever all the way into 4 lo? OR have you driven the Jeep with the T case in low range to be sure it is actually shifting into low range?

In the below picture the gear to the left of the spring is what locks a 247 front driveline solid when in 4 lo. It is splined and slides on the main shaft and it locks into the sprocket carrier so in effect the sprocket is locked to the main shaft in 4lo. It works much like a Warn locking hub.

The only reason I post this info is so you have some understanding of how positively the T case should prevent the front driveshaft from turning in 4 lo if the shift lever is actually moving the gears into 4 lo if something is not broken or missing as tymaoaretae mentioned.

#9 ·
HMMM, i have driven it in 4lo and can definitely feel the gear reduction. however, the guide plate around my shifter is broken on the tc shifter side and i have to jiggle it to get it to shift. would it be possible that it is going into 4lo enough to engage the reduction gearing without the splined cog locking it the front driveline??

thanks for all the help so far, it is greatly appreciated, i would much rather sort out my existing issues without replacing a lot of components so i can go about doing a lift and building a hidden winch mount!

#11 ·
Highly unlikely, if it locks in 4 LO the shift fork has to be moving about its full travel. So if the front is not locking in but the reduction is the symptoms point to an internal problem. There are quite a few possibilities, it could be a simple as the lock slider is hung up on the main shaft or the front spring that pushes it back into lock is broken. All speculation at this point, the assembly below is how it looks. the front spring is much stiffer than the rear return spring, if the front spring failed the rear spring could keep the slider from locking in the sprocket carrier. BUT....That just one of many possibilities.

#12 ·
I always could be wrong but here is my thoughts on testing VLs IF the Jeep has a 247 T case.....If one wheel is on the ground the ring gear will turn pinion/driveshaft at 3.73 per axle rotation. The T case chain and sprockets will spin the PC. I would guess the resistance you notice in much more likely the PC in the T case pumping up than the front Vari-Loc. The PC will not only have a ratio advantage the PCs is built for very rapid clutch engagement. 247 T cases do not have a true neutral so below is the VL test procedure that eliminates the possibility of being tricked by the PC.

TEST PROCEDURE

1.Block the tires opposite the axle to be tested to prevent the vehicle from moving.
2.Shift the transfer case into the 4WD Low position and the transmission into the Park position.
3.Raise both the wheels of the axle to be tested off of the ground.
4.Rotate the left wheel by hand at a minimum of one revolution per second while an assistant rotates the right wheel in the opposite direction.
5.The left wheel should spin freely at first and then increase in resistance within 5 revolutions until the wheels cannot be continuously rotated in opposite directions.
6.The Vari-Lok differential has engaged properly if the wheels cannot be rotated in opposite directions for a moment. After the wheels stop rotating for a moment, the fluid pressure will drop in the differential and the wheels begin to rotate once again.
7.If the system does not operate properly, replace the Vari-Lok differential.

#14 ·
247 T cases do not have a true neutral and that is the point, the PC is always in play except when locked in 4 lo. Look at the picture, when assembled the spline on the sprocket carrier is always engaged in the PC, it always turns the PC if the front driveline turns. So even if the front differential in a WJ was an open diff if you jacked up just one wheel and spin it the ring gear would turn the drive line at gear ratio more turns than you turned the jacked up wheel. So the PC will be spun say 3.73 turns for each 1 turn of the wheel you spin so it (the PC) engages and starts to lock. This tricks people into thinking the front differential is locking.

#15 ·
Tollmtn said:
247 T cases do not have a true neutral and that is the point, the PC is always in play except when locked in 4 lo. Look at the picture, when assembled the spline on the sprocket carrier is always engaged in the PC, it always turns the PC if the front driveline turns. So even if the front differential in a WJ was an open diff if you jacked up just one wheel and spin it the ring gear would turn the drive line at gear ratio more turns than you turned the jacked up wheel. So the PC will be spun say 3.73 turns for each 1 turn of the wheel you spin so it (the PC) engages and starts to lock. This tricks people into thinking the front differential is locking.
ok so with the XFR case in neutral it is still spinning the output of the transmission?

#16 ·
Neutral only disconnects the T case input. So yes when the driveline is spun the PC is locking and TRYING to turn the output. This is not only true for the front. The T case main shaft is one piece so even in neutral if you spin either the front or rear driveline the PC will quickly pump up and the start to lock the front and rear driveline together (4WD). This is the reason that WJs can not be towed with just one end on a dolly BUT a WJ with 247 can be flat towed. When they are flat towed both front and rear drivelines turn at the same speed so the PC does not lock.

#17 ·
Hello, Thought I would throw my two cents in. Yes to the transfer case being or having an issue. Spinning one tire opposite another is only going to tell you if the progressive coupler is engaging or not. Your best bet is to open up the transfer case and inspect all of the parts. If even one thing broke off inside, which is possible since you said it was practically dry, there could be something stuck where it shouldn't be. A spring, burnt bearing, anything really.

I have the 4.7HO with quadradrive and I was warned from day one that I should never let the fluids get low and to change them out like clockwork based on mileage or usage. So far I have had no problems even at 173K miles. (fingers crossed)

#19 ·
If you do decide to swap in a 242HD and can not find one for a plentiful, reasonable price alternate 242 is a Dodge Durango 242D, the only extra work is you have to swap in the input shaft and input bearing out of your 247 if you have a V/8 WJ.

If you don't care if it has 2WD mode the 2000 Durango boxes do not have 2WD but the mode shift gears and slider are wider = stronger than the mode gears in 242s that have 2WD mode. The 2000 Durango 242D boxes are not in demand so easy to find. I have a 2000 Durango box in my WJ right now, it shifts good and is the quietest 242 out of the three I have had. You can find T cases here. http://car-part.com/cgi-bin/search....867636&userUID=0&userBroker=&iKey=&userPage=7

http://car-part.com/cgi-bin/search....579533&userUID=0&userBroker=&iKey=&userPage=2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.