Quadradrive Front Axle Swap to Quadratrac Front Axle Possible? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Quadradrive Front Axle Swap to Quadratrac Front Axle Possible?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 12-27-2011, 04:06 PM   #1
bigredjeep95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Wj Quadradrive Front Axle Swap to Quadratrac Front Axle Possible?

I have a 99 WJ 4.7 Limited with quadradrive and Vari-lok axles, can i swap to quadratrac full assembly so long as i use the same gear ratio?
The popping in my front is horrible, both axle boots have been torn for a while and the hydra-lok diff is chattering pretty bad. I just wanna swap the front over to quadratrac to eliminate the front hydralok , its expensive to replace. If i replace the shafts and the hydralok still chatters i'd be pissed. So i'll replace the whole unit, the parts place by me has 2 Quadratrac and 2 Quadradrive Front Axles for $400 each, all around 100K miles. This is just for a daily driver. Also is the Quadratrac front driveshaft a Rezeppa shaft or a U-Joint Shaft?

1995 YJ Wrangler- 2.5, 2" Lift 31" Tires

1975 Cherokee S Widetrack, 6" Lift, 35" Baja Claws, AMC 360

2012 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 6.0

2002 WJ Grand Cherokee Limited, AFE Intake,DD

1990 YJ Wrangler - Torn Apart
bigredjeep95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2011, 05:40 PM   #2
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

I don't have an answer about part swap compatibility, but have some other thoughts.

Personally, I really like the QD2 setup and the varilocks. They are great for the winter driving here in Utah, and do very well offroad. Replacing the axle shafts isn't too hard. And if there is chatter in the diff, add some friction modifier. That should fix your problem. If you swap to another setup, you will need to have the gears and pinion set properly. Unless you have the tools and experience, it will be expensive to have the gears set. You can't just bolt the parts in, they need to be shimmed and adjusted for the new axle housing they are going into.

In regards to your shaft, just get under and look. The Repezza has covered CV's on each end. The double cardan has a single U-joint on the axle Double U-joint uncovered CV on the t-case end. My Quadradrive II had a double cardan shaft when I bought it, but it could have been changed out.
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2011, 05:42 PM   #3
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

Yes you can just make sure the gear ratio's are the same.

You can't put 3.55's up front and 3.73 rear.
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2011, 06:21 PM   #4
kristi5683
2005 TJ Wrangler 

400 each axle? thats a bit high... have they replaced anything on it? (like the pinion seal, shaft seals etc)

I dont know if all quadra tracks have the same front drive shaft but mine came with the double cardan. I think it varies with the year. All you would have to do is change pinion yokes to make yours fit im pretty sure.

I've got extra replacement differentials and an extra set of shafts if you wanna save a little. I'm not sure how much it costs to get diffs installed though.
I would honestly check your local junkyards for an axle cause 400 is awful high unless its literally ready to bolt on with all new seals and everything checked.
kristi5683 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2011, 09:33 PM   #5
bigredjeep95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'm talking about the whole front assembly from brake to brake and housing. Yes i can do my own gearing, my friend has a press,and the yukon bearing puller sockets, they work great.

1995 YJ Wrangler- 2.5, 2" Lift 31" Tires

1975 Cherokee S Widetrack, 6" Lift, 35" Baja Claws, AMC 360

2012 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 6.0

2002 WJ Grand Cherokee Limited, AFE Intake,DD

1990 YJ Wrangler - Torn Apart
bigredjeep95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2011, 10:03 PM   #6
kristi5683
2005 TJ Wrangler 

well I've got my set from my old axle with shafts. (non varilock) and I've got another set with shafts that are varilock. both carriers are for 3:73 and up.
If you're interested let me know.

on a side note though, have you tried rebuilding your cv joints? since your boots are torn, there may be debri in there that's causing the noise, or at least contributing to it.
kristi5683 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.