Quadra-Trac vs Quadra-Drive - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Quadra-Trac vs Quadra-Drive

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 10-15-2013, 07:26 PM   #31
nerk7706

I'm not understanding the use of AWD, for the Quadra-Trac & Quadra-Drive systems. The way I understand it from wjjeeps.com & Chrysler's video on youtube; in 4hi fulltime all torque is put to the rear wheels, but the front diff. is not completely removed & torque can be transfered to the front if slippage occurs. Doesn't AWD mean, all wheels are used to move the vehicle ?

nerk7706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 07:53 PM   #32
99SK04GTX
2004 WJ 

Our Quadra Drive jeeps are AWD but normally deliver power to only the rear wheels unless power is needed to the front wheels due to slippage.
99SK04GTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 08:06 PM   #33
Mav-Jason
that one dude

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99SK04GTX View Post
Our Quadra Drive jeeps are AWD but normally deliver power to only the rear wheels unless power is needed to the front wheels due to slippage.
THIS!

I'm a selectrac fan over any AWD simply because of that right there. It acts as a 2wd UNTIL slippage occurs, THEN transfers power to the front diff. Now, I'm not knocking the tech at all, or the speed at which this transfer occurs... that's actually pretty cool IMO. What I am disputing overall, and WHY I THINK that selectrac is better, is because I think there are situations where I could avoid a traction loss better/ easier/ under more control, in full time 4 hi vs. 2wd rear only... as the QD system ACTS until slippage occurs. So if you want that 4hi option and 4hi feel, the QD fails.

That make sense? Simply my preference on highway ice, and I think that's where it would matter most to me.

Black '99 WJ 4.0 Selec-Trac~ OME MDs w/ .75" Spacers, Bilseins, JKS ADJ. TB,
Moog SS, Moog HD TREs/ Sleeves, Ext Rear Links, 16x8 Ion Alloys, 32" BFG Wrangler Authorities
Mav-Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 08:35 PM   #34
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99SK04GTX View Post
Our jeeps are not awd at all. They are a full time system that automatically shifts torque appropriately. Awd systems always have power to the front and rear. That's not what the 247 case does.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

KCCO
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 08:49 PM   #35
damon36
2012 JK Wrangler 

OK, no one has answered, what is the quadra trac 1 in a WJ??? I was only offered in 2004 and does not have lo range nor neutral, so no lever inside just like the 2005 on up wk models that say 4x4 on them but no switch???
damon36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 08:53 PM   #36
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by damon36 View Post
OK, no one has answered, what is the quadra trac 1 in a WJ??? I was only offered in 2004 and does not have lo range nor neutral, so no lever inside just like the 2005 on up wk models that say 4x4 on them but no switch???
All it has is the same 4hi as the Quadra track II and Quadra drive systems. No other options, hense, no lever or button.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

KCCO
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 09:16 PM   #37
damon36
2012 JK Wrangler 

that must be so rare! I am constantly shopping for wjs and look t them on the roads and never have seen this set up.
Unread 10-16-2013, 09:06 AM   #38
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Has anyone ever seen a corporate sponsored WJ advertisement that used AWD or all wheel drive in a description of WJs. Use of either of those just leads to confusion as indicated by some of the posts in this thread. Any mention of AWD in connection with WJs should be prohibited.
Unread 10-16-2013, 05:33 PM   #39
narnwv

2000 WJ 

The next person that says that any WJ is AWD (all wheel drive) is getting banned for 30 days.

READ THE STICKIES!!!!

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 06:37 PM   #40
coloradowjowner
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv
The next person that says that any WJ is AWD (all wheel drive) is getting banned for 30 days. READ THE STICKIES!!!!
What's next? Someone gonna say a WJ is minivan,?
coloradowjowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 07:04 PM   #41
narnwv

2000 WJ 

this pops up every couple weeks, and it's all explained in the stickies, and thoroughly on wjjeeps--which should have been read by everyone on here.

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2014, 10:30 PM   #42
cateyes1160

quadra drive versus quadra trac

I have a question, if anyone could please help I would appreciate it. My husband and I are hitting the road in our motorhome and we are looking for a towable vehicle. We'd really like to get a Jeep Grand Cherokee. We found one we really like that's a quadra drive, but no one seems to be able to tell us the difference in that and the quadra trac. Is the quadra drive flat towable? Even the owner's manual is a little vague.
cateyes1160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2014, 10:58 PM   #43
bradywgn71
2002 WJ 

Click the link. Check out the section for recreational towing for instructions on proper procedure. QuadraDrive must be flat towed with the transfer case in neutral or on a trailer unless you want to go through the effort to remove the front driveshaft.

http://www.wjjeeps.com/towing.htm
Unread 06-24-2014, 07:02 AM   #44
damon36
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quadra trac 2 and quadra drive in the 99 to 04 Jeep Grand Cherokees are made for towing flat.....hence the reason people want them for a tow behind.....put the quadra trac2 or quadra trac in neutral and go for it. Jeep made a mistake in 2005 changing it all to electronic.
Unread 06-24-2014, 08:09 AM   #45
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv View Post
The next person that says that any WJ is AWD (all wheel drive) is getting banned for 30 days.

READ THE STICKIES!!!!
You might have to retract that if you look up the dictionary definition of 4WD and AWD ! Or look at this.....

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/wh...l-wheel-drive/

......particularly paragraph four of the "All wheel drive" chapter!

Or this......

http://www.hummerknowledgebase.com/general/4wdawd.html

.....about 8 paragraphs down.

Just saying! Im not saying it is or isnt 4wd or AWD of course but only cus I dont want to be banned!

Maybe its just use of different terms in the US....who knows?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.