Quadra Drive issue or normal for wj? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Quadra Drive issue or normal for wj?

Black Friday Sale!!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-29-2014, 06:07 PM   #16
nickmills77

I usually run the psi the tire is rated for max pressure. My tires say 44psi max so I figured running 40 would be ok? Ive always filled my tires this way, and if im wrong I stand corrected but I thought my tire manufacturer would know what the best psi for tread pattern and type of tire not the lable on door jam.. like I said if im wrong ill change the pressure and start reading the factory label...

I added 2.5oz to the front and 4.0oz friction modifier to the rear as recommended on wjjeep.com

nickmills77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2014, 07:10 PM   #17
its-me-B
2002 WJ 

At my work we put 40 psi in tires regularly... no issues
Zombie Outbreak Response Unit #396
its-me-B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2014, 07:19 PM   #18
Gander2

I had a 2004 Limited - and had the same lurking suspicion that the 4wd was not disengaged. I didn't have quite the "chirping in turns" that you experienced - but I never pushed hard in turns just because I was trying to be kind to the 4wd system. But the vehicle felt heavy in turns, and not "quite right". (I had a moderate amount of experience with Jeeps having owned a 96 Grand Cherokee and a 96 Cherokee) Front left CV joint went at 42k miles, then the right around 60k. Around town gas mileage was horrible - 10mpg - and I wasn't hot dogging. I could never figure out a way to determine if the 4wd wasn't engaged. Oh - and it was "factory used" vehicle - that came with no transmission fluid in it even though it was supposed to be factory certified - so I lost faith in it quickly.

I liked the vehicle but got rid of it at around 85k because I was sure a major 4wd repair was in my future and wanted to get max value for it (also it was uncomfortable to drive, the A pillar visibility was horrible, and the metallic paint job wasn't of the highest quality, and the gas mileage horrific). Loved it on the highway but just didn't love it enough.
Gander2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2014, 07:51 PM   #19
JeepNowski
2004 WJ 

My '04 QD limited does something similar as yours. When I'm on dry pavement and make a turn in either direction with the wheel turned all the way it feels like it grabs as it is turning. I changed my diff fluid and put in the proper amounts of friction modifier and it still does it. I doesn't affect my jeep in any way though....The 4wd kicks in when I feel like it should.....I've had my WJ's QD kick in more times in the last week than I've ever had it in the 6 months that I've owned it due to recent ice storms.. When my QD kicks in you can feel it, but it feels like it is almost instantly when my rear tires start to spin. There is no "few seconds of delay" before it kicks in.

Keep in mind, I'm probably not nearly as schooled in WJs as a lot of these folks in here so take all that with a grain of salt.
JeepNowski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2014, 08:07 PM   #20
nickmills77

According to this video, I shouldn't get any front wheel power until I have lost traction in both rear wheels..
nickmills77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2014, 08:22 PM   #21
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmills77
Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PmxnShlfZI According to this video, I shouldn't get any front wheel power until I have lost traction in both rear wheels..
Don't listen too much to videos. The fact is that if there is any difference in speed between the rear and front driveshaft it will start creating pressure and grab the front drive shaft. The pump is physically between the drive shafts. If both are spinning the same speed the pump rolls with them and no pressure is created. If one shaft is going faster than the other the two elements are going different speeds and pressure is created.

Its the same principal for the variloc's in the differentials.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.