Quadra Drive issue or normal for wj? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Quadra Drive issue or normal for wj?

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-24-2014, 09:03 AM   #1
nickmills77

Quadra Drive issue or normal for wj?

Hello everybody, I'm new to the WJ. I've had a few 96 4.0 zj's with the selec-trac, but this time around I wanted something with a little more power and comfort so I bought a 99 wj 4.7 with Quadra-Drive.. I live in pa and get quite a mixed variety of weather and figured a 4x4 system that engaged itself would be convenient... anyways back to topic, the issue im having is that when I make tight turns left or right my wj feels like my zj did when I forgot to take it out of 4 wheel part-time on dry pavement.. like its in 4wheel all the time?? I also noticed a slight whine from the front while at highway speeds when I let my foot off the pedal, sounds and feels like im locked into 4wheel.. ive checked my tires, all same size with same air pressure and even tread... any advice is appreciated

nickmills77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2014, 09:34 AM   #2
EmersonHart13

Have you checked the transfercase fluid?

http://www.wjjeeps.com/tcases.htm

http://www.wjjeeps.com/service/maintenance_wj.htm

It is supposed to be changed every 30k miles.
EmersonHart13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2014, 09:59 AM   #3
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

Change your diff fluid and add the proper amount of mopar friction modifier. That feeling is your vari-locs kicking in.

Sent from inside my dinosoar head.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

KCCO
ezflip is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2014, 11:09 AM   #4
Upside
2002 WJ 

I'm running Redline 80W140 in my differentials and they've been quiet without the friction modifier. They also make a NS version that doesn't already have the FM in it in case you want to use MOPAR FM for some reason.
Upside is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2014, 11:13 AM   #5
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

I would check your transfer case fluid. Maybe a drain & refill with proper 247 fluid.

'02 WJ: 4.7L, 5", HP44/9", 231HD, tall & skinny KM2's
'99 XJ: stock
'99 XJ: stolen
'06 XK: sold
231HD build guide
skain8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2014, 11:21 AM   #6
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezflip View Post
Change your diff fluid and add the proper amount of mopar friction modifier...
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upside View Post
I'm running Redline 80W140 in my differentials...
I've heard Redline is one of the few that will work with the Veri-Lok differentials besides regular diff fluid and MOPAR limited slip additive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skain8 View Post
I would check your transfer case fluid. Maybe a drain & refill with proper 247 fluid.
This as well.

Since it's new to you, it wouldn't hurt to change all of your fluids. Who knows if the PO ever changed the fluids and if so, what they put in.

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2014, 11:31 AM   #7
nickmills77

Contacted my local dealer and im going later today to get nv247 for my TC and 2 bottles of friction modifier for the diffs.. the guy seemed pleased that I was ordering proper mopar spec products.. the TC fluid is around $14 qt..
Unread 01-24-2014, 12:53 PM   #8
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmills77
Contacted my local dealer and im going later today to get nv247 for my TC and 2 bottles of friction modifier for the diffs.. the guy seemed pleased that I was ordering proper mopar spec products.. the TC fluid is around $14 qt..
Unless your rear hatch or the shifter plate says Quadra Drive you do not need friction modifier.

As for it feeling tight in tight turns. The proper procedure for purging air out of the gearator and vari-loc is to do tight figure 8's to engage the devices to purge the air.

When I back out of driveway and turn sharp if the rear wheel spins on the snow or ice it will do the same thing yours is doing for about 30 sec until the pressure bleeds off.
86cj74.2L is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2014, 01:25 PM   #9
nickmills77

I notice it most while attempting a U-turn or turning into my driveway or parking spot at walmart.. yes I have the QUADRA-DRIVE on the shifter. When turning at low speeds my steering wheel jerks and I feel like im pushing instead of turning. I dont have any rear wheel spin when backing out with snow or icy conditions. I do have a large parking lot across the street that I can do figure 8s. Ill go out and attempt them. But during the last snowfall I did notice that my rear wheels would spin for a few seconds before I felt the front kick in, so im guessing the issue im having isnt a common wj thing due to the fast & accurate replies..
Unread 01-24-2014, 03:32 PM   #10
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

When we got Grammys limited the rear pinion seal leak had just been fixed and zero friction modifier was added after the repair.

The rear would moan and groan in tight turns. Plus some slight chatter.

Is that about what you're feeling from the front?
Unread 01-24-2014, 03:46 PM   #11
nickmills77

No moaning or groaning, in tight turns all I can hear is the front tires sliding on the gravel like im in 4wheel drive. The noise I hear on the highway sounds more like a gearbox wines when your in reverse. I only hear that noise around 55-75mph and its when im traveling downhill with my foot off the gas pedal. When im on the throttle i dont hear it.. does it with/without cruise control on.
Unread 01-29-2014, 03:55 PM   #12
nickmills77

Well I changed fluids in both diffs and T-case, did some figure 8s in high & low range, drove around for a while in town to get the varilocks to disengage.. still have the same feeling like 4x4 is engaged when making a u-turn or pulling into my driveway..
Unread 01-29-2014, 04:40 PM   #13
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

[QUOTE="nickmills77"]Well I changed fluids in both diffs and T-case, did some figure 8s in high & low range, drove around for a while in town to get the varilocks to disengage.. still have the same feeling like 4x4 is engaged when making a u-turn or pulling into my driveway..[/QUOTE

Are your tire pressures equal all around?
Unread 01-29-2014, 04:44 PM   #14
nickmills77

Yea I have 40psi in all 4 tires, checked them while I was waiting for all my old gear oil to stop dripping out.
Unread 01-29-2014, 04:56 PM   #15
99SK04GTX
2004 WJ 

40 PSI is too high (although I doubt that is the causing your issue). Check the label plate on the drivers door jamb for the correct PSI.

You might want to add additional friction modifier to the front differential although it only needs 2.5 oz (4 oz in the rear)
99SK04GTX is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.