pumpkin juice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > pumpkin juice

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation Packages

Unread 10-29-2003, 03:44 PM   #1
99flajeep

pumpkin juice

Newbie here. First post. I'm getting ready to go through all the leaky seals under my 99 Grand cherokee Laredo. Not sure what fluid to put in the front and rear diff's. My Jeep dealer's parts guy sold me the synthetic SAE 75W-140 after he went back and asked somebody. I assume it was a tech. He charged me like $24 quart! Outrageous! I'm sure I can get it cheaper somewhere else, so I'll probably return it. Anyway, I get home, and looking in my Chrysler service manual I see these guidelines:
1) The lubricant should have MIL-L-2105C and API GL 5 quality specifications.
2) Lubricant is a thermally stable SAE 80W-90 gear lubricant.
3) Lubricant for axles intended for heavy- duty or trailer tow use is SAE 75W-140 synthetic gear lubricant.

It doesn't seem to say anything about any differences with having Quadra-drive or not, except that the vari-lock axles need the friction modifier added in. I have the Quadra-drive and my main question is, do I need the synthetic or not? I definately don't really see driving it around as a regular vehicle as Heavy-duty use and I don't tow anything, but I do have a hitch, so you never know when an isolated incident might come up. I don't mind doing the synthetic if I can get get it at a parts store for about a third of what the Jeep dealer charged me for it. Do the parts stores carry it? and how much would you expect it to cost? I haven't browsed around the parts store at all yet. Does anybody know if the Quadra-drive needs it, or am I reading the manual right and I really don't. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Russ

99flajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2003, 06:52 PM   #2
BostonBull
2004 WJ 

Yes you can get it cheaper...try amsoil or redline and just put the additive in. Especially if you going to use 4X4 in the snow or mud!!! Good Luck.

[SIZE=3][FONT=franklin gothic medium][COLOR=red][B] 81[/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
BostonBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2003, 07:00 PM   #3
99flajeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBull
Yes you can get it cheaper...try amsoil or redline and just put the additive in. Especially if you going to use 4X4 in the snow or mud!!! Good Luck.
Thanks BostonBull. Neither of these can be had without ordering though, can they? You can't really just buy them at the parts store, can you? I am familiar with both of them though. Maybe I'll try to find a redline website. Do you know if I really need the synthetic or not. Is the 80W-90 O.K. to use with the quadra-drive. As far as snow goes, we don't get much here in Orlando, but I just moved here two years ago from Milwaukee. The Quadra-drive is the ultimate in the snow! Had a lot of fun with it.
99flajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2003, 09:14 PM   #4
RockPaws

Here is Redline's web site www.redlineoil.com
Check their site for a local dealer.

I would return the oil to the dealer, that's just too much for oil.

You can find Redline at Summit Racing www.summitracing.com they are great to deal with. Cost is around $9 per qt.
I run all their products in my vehicles and my customers Jeeps. If the additive is required in your axle, Redline allready has it mixed in.
[FONT=Trebuchet MS]01' Jeep TJ (Jeep #5)
3.5 RE Custom SuperFlex, Raingler, Kilby, Currie, Banks, Borla, American Racing, Custom mods, Always more in the works.
[URL=http://www.redrock4x4.com][COLOR=Blue]www.redrock4x4.com Rocks![/COLOR][/URL]
[URL=www.needhim.org/][COLOR=Blue]Need Him?[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT]
RockPaws is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.