Pumpkin Issue? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Pumpkin Issue?

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-03-2013, 08:47 AM   #1
chillytoes

Pumpkin Issue?

I had several repairs done from a repair shop I have used for years and been very happy with on my Jeep 2 weeks ago. It had an odd squeak/squall sound when driving. I thought maybe it was one of the several new belts they replaced.

My husband drove it and had to pull over on the side of the road to inspect it a few days ago. It was dark and we live out in the middle of nowhere in the mountains. He finally narrowed it down to a "missing plug in the pumpkin".

He had to leave as he works 2 months out of town and 1 week home. I checked the repair list and the repair shop did change fluids in the differential on the front and the back.

My husband said he thought he had it temporarily plugged well enough for me to drive it back down to the shop (80 miles down the mountain back into town).

When I turned it on the oil gauge is just over the half way mark (at 40 of 80) from a cold start and it is making louder squeals/squalling when I accelerate.

Is it going to be ok to ease it down the mountain in that condition or is there anything more I can do to more safely get it there. Add more oil? Any way to bring the oil gauge number down? My husband mentioned the possibility of the motor throwing a rod? Trying to maintain our vehicles while he is away is all new to me, sorry if I sound clueless.

chillytoes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #2
Jeeples
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

You're kind of all over the place here. You first mention that there is something wrong with your axle/differential (AKA, pumpkin), and then move on to an engine noise that you suspect is a thrown rod or spun rod bearing.

Before driving, I would check to make sure that the differential missing the plug is full to prevent damaging the bearings in the diff while driving down the road. If you do not have any suitable gear oil, you can top it off with motor oil as a temporary fix until you get to the shop. If you have to improvise a temporary plug, I would advise NOT using paper towels, as they will not hold up long enough to get 80 miles to your local shop. As long as the surface is clean, part of an old soda can and some RTV/Silicone or duct tape would be sufficient. Absolute worst case scenario, you could stuff an old rag in the plug.

Here is a DIY on changing the diff fluid, but it will show you what plugs to remove to check/fill the differentials:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...e-diy-1534883/

Next, up is your engine issue. Oil pressure fluctuates based on engine load (RPMs) and oil temperature. Being that you live in the mountains of Colorado, it probably getting in the low 40's to freezing temps over night, which means your engine oil is noticeably thicker upon start up. Chances are this is why your gauge is reading slightly higher than it was a few weeks ago. When the engine warms up you will probably notice that the reading on the gauge will be lower. Check the oil level by starting the engine and letting it run for a couple minutes, then shut down and check the oil level on the dipstick. You'll want to pull the dipstick, clean it, then reinsert all the back into the tube it came from, pull it back out and check your reading. If the oil is in the cross-hatched area on the dipstick you're fine. Do not overfill.

As for the noise from your engine, if it's a high pitched squeal that changes in frequency or speed when applying the throttle, it's probably a belt that's starting to show wear, however you state this was recently replaced. I would check to see what brand of belt was used, as low quality replacements can be noisier than name brands like Gates, Goodyear or even Dayco. I would also ask the shop if they checked the condition of the belt tensioner, as this component is spring loaded and is designed to maintain constant tension on the belt to prevent slipping when under load.

If you had an internal engine failure, such as a thrown rod you would hear a clanking or banging sound coming from the engine or from underneath the vehicle.

Also, don't forget to fill out your vehicle information so that we can better help you in the future.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.