Pulsing Vibration in Overdrive - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Pulsing Vibration in Overdrive

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 05-15-2011, 03:11 PM   #1
UPJeepster
1999 WJ 

Wj Pulsing Vibration in Overdrive

First post here.

Just picked up a 1999 WJ a few months ago. The rig is all stock with a 4.0L and 42Re. On my last long trip I noticed a faint pulsing vibration when in Overdrive only. It mostly occurs when going up hills or accelerating. The vibration seemed to start after I replaced drag link ends, but is coming from the middle/rear end. Can't seem to pin down where the vibration is coming from and it seems to be getting worse. My first thought is transmission mounts, but not sure how to check those.

I've done a bunch of searching and found many threads on this type of problem, but the ones I could find were dealing with lifted WJ's and Wranglers.

Thanks in Advance

UPJeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2011, 05:38 PM   #2
UPJeepster
1999 WJ 

Alright, so didn't get any replies on my vibration problem, but figured it out and thought I would post my solution since this seems like a pretty common problem.

Turns out a rubber isolator around an exhaust hanger slid out of place. The hanger was right next to the transmission pan. Pretty simple fix....just slid the rubber isolator back into the housing. Thought it was going to be something more serious since it ONLY happened in OD.

I posted some pics of the hanger I'm talking about in case you have this problem...hopefully it will clarify
exhaust-hanger2.jpg   exhaust-hanger.jpg  
UPJeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2011, 06:16 PM   #3
thestig_wj
2000 WJ 

Just saw this thread and my first thought was exhaust before I opened it I'm having the same problem only mine the hanger is completely broke
thestig_wj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.