Pulled Trans Pan - 142K miles on original fluid! Pics! Pics! Pics! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Pulled Trans Pan - 142K miles on original fluid! Pics! Pics! Pics!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-01-2009, 09:40 PM   #1
Soft 8
2007 JK Wrangler 

Pulled Trans Pan - 142K miles on original fluid! Pics! Pics! Pics!

I started having problems with my 545-RFE a couple weeks ago. I started doing some homework on them and was pretty impressed. Long story short, I replaced my vehicle speed sensors which helped the shifting problem and eliminated the erractic shifts it had started to suffer from. But it still wasn't right, there was something just a little off.

After talking to the previous onwers (Family) Everyone thought the transmission fluid had been changed a while back but couldn't remember when exactly.

I had always heard that changing the fluid on a high mileage transmission was a bad idea, it would wash the varnish off of the clutches and ruin it in a short time. After doing more and more homework I found more and more contradicting information.

So off came the pan to see what I could find:

In all honesty I was expecting to a snap ring(s) or lots and lots of clutch material.

This is what I found in the bottom of the pan:

It was dirty, very dirty; but the fluid wasn't burnt.

Both filters were replaced (with Wix a Trans Filter Kit) which included the pressed in seal in the case of the transmission. I added fresh ATF+F and took it for a test drive and was really impressed with how much different it felt. No more flare up going in to 5th gear, the shifts were much more fim (Imagine that!). After taking it for a couple of test drives, I checked the fluid level one more time and corrected it as needed.

SO FAR, no leaks, no mis-shifts, no noise, SO FAR SO GOOD!

Let me know what you think of what I found in the pan!

Unread 02-02-2009, 05:51 AM   #2
Turbonut

Probably hasn't been changed for a while, but looks like normal wear sediment on the pan and magnet.
Turbonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2009, 02:37 PM   #3
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

you are a lucky man. If that is indeed the original fluid, you were roughly 5 tansmission fluid changes overdue! LOL glad you caught it when you did

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2009, 02:53 PM   #4
Pbux690
1999 WJ 

So what exactly were the steps that you took in changing the transmission fluid. Did you just drop the oil pan. Clean it, drain the old fluid(where is the plug in ur picture?), change both filters(theres two?), Add the trans fluid(How many quarts?), then reattach the oilpan cover? Thanks
Pbux690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2009, 03:02 PM   #5
windsors03cobra
1999 WJ 

I changed it in my 99 V8 Exploder @ 160k and it was original, not as much sludge but close. Noticed same much better shifts and performance overall, 15k miles since with nary a problem.
windsors03cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2009, 03:06 PM   #6
99avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbux690 View Post
So what exactly were the steps that you took in changing the transmission fluid. Did you just drop the oil pan. Clean it, drain the old fluid(where is the plug in ur picture?), change both filters(theres two?), Add the trans fluid(How many quarts?), then reattach the oilpan cover? Thanks

You got it, except there is no drain plug. Just be careful when pulling the pan, that is when it all comes out.

The number of quarts depends on the model. I think its 6 for the 545fe

If it aint broke, fix it till it is.
99avant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2009, 03:11 PM   #7
Pbux690
1999 WJ 

Thanks for the conformation I bought mine with 98xxx and now its got 124xxx i think its time to change. Where do you add the trans fluid. Is there a gap under the hood or what, also do you have to add any seals on the oil pan so it wont leak or is it just fine to bolt it back up??
Unread 02-02-2009, 03:14 PM   #8
allenjp
2002 WJ 

Pbux690: You may want to watch someone who has done it before first or it WILL get very messy

1996 ZJ 318 Laredo Quadra Trac -SOLD (I'm gonna miss her!)

2002 WJ 4.7 Limited Quadra Drive (sharing it with wifey for now...)
allenjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2009, 03:18 PM   #9
Pbux690
1999 WJ 

Mess is the last thing im worried about. But yeah maybe observing or having someone help would be better off than just diving into it.
Unread 02-02-2009, 03:41 PM   #10
JrMechanic
1993 ZJ 

It's an easy job. From experience, I've found that a plastic trash can lid (Convex one), upside down with drain holes poked into it works great for funneling it into a drain pan
Unread 02-02-2009, 05:02 PM   #11
Soft 8
2007 JK Wrangler 

I varified when I dropped the pan that it was the original fluid because it had the OEM gasket material. That and when I brought home the filters no one had seen that style before so... no one had been in there.

I have a 4.7L with a 545-RFE, This is also the same transmission behind the Hemis in the 1/2 ton Rams so they are gaining popularity in the aftermarket. Mine ended up using 8 quarts for just a fluid and filter change. There is no drain plug in the transmission pan. So... The tip about the trans can lid is a good idea. I wish I would have thought of that. I didn't realize the transmission pan was so big (I am used to the 727's) until I crawled under there with my catch pan... that was the same size as the transmission pan.

I picked up a set of WIX filters from Oreilys, I didn't care for the pan gasket that came with the WIX filters so I used the gasket from a Pioneer filter kit. The WIX kit gave me both filters and the seal that is needed to do the filter change.

Also this is a good reference on the process.

http://www.nagca.com/forum/archive/i...p/t-33521.html

You will have to copy and paste the links in to the browser to get the pictures to work but it is all there.
Unread 02-02-2009, 05:10 PM   #12
ZeJokee
1993 ZJ 

I replaced my trans fluid in my 93 ZJ limited over the weekend. It has 197,000 miles on it. It had never been changed before. The pan was clean and the fluid was not burnt and very little slug. I was very surprised.
99 WJ Ltd, Blacked out, 4.7L, 242j Swap, 2'' BB, 245/75/16 Kuhmo Venture AT KL78, Flow Master Super 40, MagnaFlow high flow Cat, Akebono caliper upgrade, Addco rear swaybar, Westin brush guard, Moog Super Trail Boss, Rancho RS5000, Rola roof rack with dual kayak J hooks, PAC-AOEM-CHR, Sony Xplod 1200w amp, 2 Sony Xplod 12'' subs, 118,XXX miles (SOLD)
93 ZJ Ltd, Blacked out, 5.2L, Reman 46RH, Reman 242 Swap, 3.5'' IRO + 2" BB, 33x12.50r15 Mud Claw MTX radials, Bushwacker Flares, 216,XXX miles (Still parked in NC)
04 F-350 SD Crew Cab FX4 Lariat, 6.0 PSD SRW, Head studs, AFE Stage 2 SI Pro Guard 7 intake, Blue Spring mod, 150,XXX Miles

ZeJokee is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.