Protofab rock solid rear tire carrier - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Protofab rock solid rear tire carrier

Introducing the CUPHOLSTER @ OCONEE OFF ROAD 706 534 9955Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comBlack Friday- Cyber Monday Deals at jeepHut

Unread 03-17-2012, 10:11 AM   #1
Rocklobster
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Protofab rock solid rear tire carrier

Does anyone have any thoughts on this, I am looking into getting it and wanted to know what you guys had to say about it. Thanks, Rich

Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2012, 10:24 AM   #2
WJChris
Four Badges

1999 WJ 

Best Available. I had one. Do yourself a favor, lift your gas tank prior and ask Protofab to not include the "gas tank skid"

http://photobucket.com/WJGasTank
WJChris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2012, 10:26 AM   #3
WJChris
Four Badges

1999 WJ 

http://photobucket.com/WJProtofabRearBumper

In this last pic, The red shows where the "skid" is and the yellow is where I had to cut it off with a grinder. Only took a few minutes.
Unread 07-13-2012, 01:18 PM   #4
jrfrank1111
2002 WJ 

Wj

Hey,

I just crushed my factory plastic bumper and was comparing the KOR to the Custom 4x4 Fab to the Profab. I have a 2002 WJ Overland so I guess the charcol canister is located on the drivers rear so I wonder if that is going to be an issue.

Also need new rock sliders as the Factory Overlands did the job but died in the process along with the factory Tie rod.
jrfrank1111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2012, 01:49 PM   #5
Rocklobster
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

The Protofab and the KOR bumper are the same.
Unread 07-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #6
adavis39
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJChris View Post
Best Available. I had one. Do yourself a favor, lift your gas tank prior and ask Protofab to not include the "gas tank skid"

http://photobucket.com/WJGasTank
this is on my list of mods. I saw a Red WJ that did this....raised tank and cut off that dumb skid. changes it from looking OK to AWESOME IMO...
TNJEEPS.COM

BUILD: [B][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/utwj-build-other-crap-1399123/[/url][/B]

[B]"In a world that he did not create, but he will go through it as if it is his own creation. Half man, half beast, whatever it is it is weird, it is ticked off and it calls itself Slash"[/B]
adavis39 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #7
adavis39
2002 WJ 

did they take any off the LIST price for you?
TNJEEPS.COM

BUILD: [B][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/utwj-build-other-crap-1399123/[/url][/B]

[B]"In a world that he did not create, but he will go through it as if it is his own creation. Half man, half beast, whatever it is it is weird, it is ticked off and it calls itself Slash"[/B]
adavis39 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2012, 02:31 AM   #8
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

I have one and love it. I didn't get the D-ring mounts. I have a d-ring receiver that I install when wheeling, and I know i would have been running into those tabs when loading stuff in and out of the Jeep. I figured I would save myself the cussing fits and just stick to the d-ring.

Tank Tucks are a popular thing on the WJ, but I like mine how it is. I was originally on board, and was planning on a tank tuck. However, the factory spare tire well is such a great location to store tools, my compressor, bottle jacks, a set of grease clothes, spare fluids, etc. The best part is that I just crisscross a tie down across the top of the cover between the tie down areas, and it keeps the lid tight and everything in place when wheeling.

That said, I wanted to paint my bumper to match but didn't want the skid to stand out. So I painted it with flat black to blend with my tank. I like how it turned out, and I like the tank skid. It took a full saturday for me to install it, mark it up, remove it and trim it. Then I had it painted and re-installed it.

Installed the bumper, marked it for trimming to match the line of my fender flares:

I tacked on two tabs per side to secure my mud flaps for street driving, and I have quick release pins holding them on:

Painted:

Installed:

Masked off:

Complete...skid is painted flat black and blends in with the gas tank and undercarriage. I also painted the exhaust tip and pipe black with high temp paint:
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2012, 04:19 AM   #9
Rocklobster
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Looks great man
Unread 07-25-2012, 10:32 AM   #10
Hopperstien
2004 WJ 

85Iroc or WJChris, can one of you hook us up with a side picture??
Unread 07-25-2012, 07:32 PM   #11
WJChris
Four Badges

1999 WJ 

I guess I never took the time to take any, this is all I could find:

Unread 07-26-2012, 01:26 AM   #12
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

I don't have any real good side shots to choose from, but here are a two that might help...

angle:

side from far away:

*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2013, 03:46 AM   #13
ultimo
2002 WJ 

Just wondering how you guys solved the license plate visibility question. Where did you mount it in the end?
ultimo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2013, 12:40 PM   #14
WJChris
Four Badges

1999 WJ 

I screwed my plate to the swing arm, to the left of the tire and right of the pivot. It was visible from behind, but kind of obscured from the right. I never had any issues with it from law enforcement. With that you never know, depends on where you are and what time it is if they want to stop you and use that for an excuse to look further.

But that's California. Not sure where you are. Asia?
Unread 01-03-2013, 07:27 PM   #15
ultimo
2002 WJ 

Yup Asia, I heard we need to at least have lights for the license plates..still thinking where to put it, seems like common options are to attach it to the spare tire center...but was thinking of buying a hard cover for the spare so....
ultimo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.